**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #8,147 of 22,116
Quote:
My new setup I'm trying for awhile. I have an Asgard but I think the Yamaha CR2020 is on par…if not better. I need to do more A/Bing but so far, this receiver is very clear and detailed compared to entry headphone amps. Possibly even mid level.

You should try that Yamaha with a set of HD650s, I have the 1020 and it is just sublime with the 650.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #8,148 of 22,116
I was finally able to try the HE-400 with the FiiO E07K. There is a clear improvement over the integrated sound card in my Vaio notebook. The extra loudness makes it a much more intimate experience. I'm loving it. I've got Buddy Guy's album Bring 'em In playing and it sounds fantastic. The tracks with Tracy Chapman and John Mayer sound particularly great. M83's Wait was a great song to listen to with the FiiO's bass boost up a couple of notches. To be honest, just about everything I throw at this setup is impressive.

I still haven't gotten around to ordering the velour pads but it's on my list. I might just bite the bullet on those tonight.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #8,150 of 22,116
HI guys, 
I got a question about the HE-400 cabe. See, here is the thing, i want to get 2 cables (one short and flexible and one long).
1 for travel, 1 for home.

So i did that, but unfortunatelly i missed to realize how fragile the connectors to the HP are.

So far im only using the long original canare, to make sure i dont break the connectors, but is there a way to have a safer, more effective connector half way so i can switch from one cable to another on the fly, keeping it safe?

The idea is to have one stiff cable at home and one flexible cable on the go, and alternate from one to another.

I dont know if im explaining myself well :D.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #8,151 of 22,116
Quote:
HI guys, 
I got a question about the HE-400 cabe. See, here is the thing, i want to get 2 cables (one short and flexible and one long).

So i did that, but unfortunatelly i missed to realize how fragile the connectors to the HP are.

So far im only using the long original canare, to make sure i dont break the connectors, but is there a way to have a safer, more effective connector half way so i can switch from one cable to another on the fly, keeping it safe?

The idea is to have one stiff cable at home and one flexible cable on the go, and alternate from one to another.

I believe there are adapters available, Matt posted one a few pages back.

But just curios, how can you break the connectors? I don't find them that fragile, they seem really solid to me.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #8,152 of 22,116
Quote:

I believe there are adapters available, Matt posted one a few pages back.

But just curios, how can you break the connectors? I don't find them that fragile, they seem really solid to me.

Ill check back.

I dont mean the Adapters themselves, but the small conector inside them that actually transmits the sound. Its a very thin copper pin.
I havent broken it yet, but i know its a posibility, and id like not to.

I was hoping to get something like a XLR connector so i can feel safe with chaneging it, but that might be a bit too heavy.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #8,154 of 22,116
You should try that Yamaha with a set of HD650s, I have the 1020 and it is just sublime with the 650.

I'm really loving this CR2020. The detail and trasparency is just amazing for when it was built and it has a lot more power. The lower end is filled out more compared to the Asgard and all the detail to my ears is still there. My friend also agreed during A/B testing. It's definitely a keeper! And it looks gorgeous in person.

I'm going to bring it to a meet once it gets finalized and I will try it out with some HD650s then.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #8,156 of 22,116
All you have to do is open up the ear pads. The newest revisions have a translucent clear binding in the drivers. 

For awhile I believe they changed their manufacturing process and had a bone yellow binding (which had extremely high trebles and gave me a headache) but I believe all of those have been recalled. 

So all you gotta do is open up one of the ear pads and look :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #8,158 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't own them yet, and whenever I ask sellers what revisions they sell, they just tell me "the most recent one".. Is there any way of making sure that it's not rev3 before purchasing?

If you buy from an official distributor then there's no chance of getting rev3. The reason why dealers call them "the most recent version" is because Hifiman never made these different revision numbers official, that started online i believe. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #8,160 of 22,116
^^ Yes.

Quote:
HI guys, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back