**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #8,117 of 22,116
I hope one day I find my end game headphone.

If I could afford it ever, probably the TH-900... but that thing is... prohibitively expensive.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #8,118 of 22,116
Im pretty damn happy with how mine came out, I'll post some pics soon. When i first did the mod I too was disappointed in the build, it was pretty much falling apart. I then took an idea from Marleybob and stitched the pad to the ring, and yesterday I did the sub-bass mod which prevents the pads from rotating when mounted on the headphones. Basically the headphones and the pads feel like one unit, better constructed. 

I also sewed the velour to the pleather to give it a more luxury feel. Anyway I'll have pics up later, the pads are slightly different now in comparison to the last pics i uploaded.

Pre sub bass mod vs post sub bass mod

Did you have a chance to compare yet?

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #8,119 of 22,116
Quote:
I actually never heard the he-400's from the m&m stack but they sound really good from the e17, it just depends on what you want the e17 is alot more portable and customizable than the m&m shiit stack. And the 02/odac sound almost exactly the same as the m&m stack from what I have heard so it just depends on personal preference you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for your opinion!

Anymore opinions on this? Perhaps someone that has tried out quite a few number of amps on the HE-400s?

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #8,120 of 22,116
Those look really really really nice Jerg! 

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #8,121 of 22,116
Quote:
Pre sub bass mod vs post sub bass mod

Did you have a chance to compare yet?

Yes i have, i posted my results in the jergpad thread. Im basing my findings from memory, and from what i remember pre sub bass mod, it was really light and weak, post mod and it's just like on velours which is to say much better. So yeah the mod works great. I'll post some pics after the game.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #8,124 of 22,116
My new setup I'm trying for awhile. I have an Asgard but I think the Yamaha CR2020 is on par…if not better. I need to do more A/Bing but so far, this receiver is very clear and detailed compared to entry headphone amps. Possibly even mid level.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #8,125 of 22,116
As promised here are a couple of snaps of my jergpads, my endgame in pad-fi.

Looking at the first pic fully zoomed, you can notice the stitching at the base of the pads between the pleather and the mounting ring. This was necessary to attach the ring to the pads tightly, especially since v1.0 of the the instructions used tape to attach them together which felt really flimsy. v2 is an even better solution but I can't do that now.

The bottom pic displays some headphone cleavage, thanks to the really transparent dust screen. You can also notice the stitching on the velour, again i chose this route to get a nice and secure finish. 

As for sound, well it's similar to what I mentioned before. More balanced signature, the tizz is mostly gone making female vocals far more enjoyable while still retaining the awesome, well extended bass the velours have thanks to the sub-bass mod.

But I should really mention something about the comfort, it's very very good. Clamp is non-existent as a result of the shallower pads and really soft memory foam in the pleathers. It really goes a long way towards my enjoyment of these headphones.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #8,126 of 22,116
^^ Thats some nice work right there.
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #8,129 of 22,116
Quote:
Im waiting for my pads to come back from jerg, he used them to make the v2 guide.

Should be here on monday.

I can't wait to compare them to the J$ pads.

I'm quite curious for that comparison, I found the J$s by far the most neutral of all mods/pads. 
I think I did cut a few daming holes too much on my jerg pads though, the highs became too strident.
But even when I covered up some holes, the J$s still are much more forward sounding in the mids/high mids. 

The marleypads are actually the most dark sounding of all mods/pads I used. Treble is very well controlled. But the high mids are still a bit more recessed than those of the J$s.

In conclusion, I'm very curious how the J$s sound in comparison with the newest and proper jergs.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #8,130 of 22,116
Quote:
My new setup I'm trying for awhile. I have an Asgard but I think the Yamaha CR2020 is on par…if not better. I need to do more A/Bing but so far, this receiver is very clear and detailed compared to entry headphone amps. Possibly even mid level.

^^That is a really nice looking old school Yamaha!! It's amazing at how close my vintage receiver is compared to some class A desktop amps. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back