**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #8,026 of 22,116
I just did this "hot water soak" for my velour pads and let them dry. I must say there is quite a bit of difference in terms of comfort now. I dont detect any change in SQ but the velour is much softer around the ears and feels far less itchy. A worthy 'mod' in my opinion.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #8,027 of 22,116
Quote:
I just did this "hot water soak" for my velour pads and let them dry. I must say there is quite a bit of difference in terms of comfort now. I dont detect any change in SQ but the velour is much softer around the ears and feels far less itchy. A worthy 'mod' in my opinion.

Thank you! Needed to hear this, gonna do that tomorrow.
If it is less itchy, then that would be all I want :D

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,029 of 22,116
Quote:
Gonna try it too tomorrow. Can't turn down a chance to improve the pads free of charge.

+1

Already spent some bucks on the stock Denon pads, but too shallow for me and they dont fit me well, + the sound changes enough to stray me off them unfortunately :/
Otherwise would be comfort ++ very soft (even too much which makes them deform easily)

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,030 of 22,116
Quote:
If you're going by graphs I feel it's better to use a 2D FR graph rather than a CSD. It's the sum of all the energy, whereas with a CSD plot you have to guess what that is(the first frame of a CSD is not the equivalent of a FR graph).

But what you have there doesn't look bad, it looks similar to my attempts using FR graphs before(in terms of where rises/falls begin).

I use graph to get an idea why isn't sound the way "it should be" if i can say it this way and than I do Trial and Error method till I get what I want.

For example vocals were buried under instruments like bass guitar, at least for me, so I try add little bit gain here, than here, than here ... and so on till I get them louder/closer or something I want. Than if it's ok, I try changing BW so it doesn't affect other frequencies too much. This way I listen to different songs and check if they are still all somehow fine with every adjustment.

With posted EQ I was starting to be pretty much happy in nearly all music I listen to, so I was thinking I'll upload it and ask someone to try it out and tell me some feedback 
normal_smile .gif

@Jerg Will try it tomorrow :wink: thx

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #8,031 of 22,116
I never had issues with the velour's comfort.. always enjoyed it actually (I like the distance it affords from the driver baffle).  Carefully adjusting the headband shape & bending the metal brackets (which the cups are attached to) has resulted in me finding a very comfortable fit with the HE-400.  For me, it was about (evenly) distributing the clamp and weight.  I simply love the comfort now.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8,032 of 22,116
Quote:
I never had issues with the velour's comfort.. always enjoyed it actually (I like the distance it affords from the driver baffle).  Carefully adjusting the headband shape & bending the metal brackets (which the cups are attached to) has resulted in me finding a very comfortable fit with the HE-400.  For me, it was about (evenly) distributing the clamp and weight.  I simply love the comfort now.

Im with you there. I never had a problem with the velour stiffness, which is helped by bending the headband slightly to reduce clamp and better distribute weight. But even with no bending, it was fine for me. The way things are now I couldn't be happier with comfort, but hey, if I can squeeze that little bit more comfort out of the pads with the water mod, then why not?

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #8,033 of 22,116
Even with velour's softer foam, it still doesn't distribute the pressure as evenly as pleather foams. The reason being that the velour foam is 100% purely elastic and has no memory, but the pleathers use a thicker memory foam that if you use them for a few weeks, the pads actually "mold" themselves to the 3D topology of your head (so parts become thinner, parts stay thick, and the fit is complete with no pressure spots anywhere).

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #8,034 of 22,116

Perfect, with this and a new DAC, I think I'll be finished.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,035 of 22,116
Even with velour's softer foam, it still doesn't distribute the pressure as evenly as pleather foams. The reason being that the velour foam is 100% purely elastic and has no memory, but the pleathers use a thicker memory foam that if you use them for a few weeks, the pads actually "mold" themselves to the 3D topology of your head (so parts become thinner, parts stay thick, and the fit is complete with no pressure spots anywhere).

I took the pleathers and used them on my old DT770s. Yum, I think I'll leave them there.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #8,036 of 22,116
Quote:
Perfect, with this and a new DAC, I think I'll be finished.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted steps but this is what I did. 

1. Got a bucket of as hot water as my hands could stand.
2. Remove the plastic ring inside of the velour pads.
3. Soak the velour pads in the hot water bucket and get a good squeeze on the velour so the water gets deep in there. Note: Be careful not to really twist the earpad as I'd hate to see anyone rip the thin dust protector.
4. Air dry & re-assemble.

The foam inside of the velour pads still seems to have the same rigidity as before however the actual velour material has really softened up and the god awful itch is completely gone.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #8,037 of 22,116
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if anyone has posted steps but this is what I did. 

1. Got a bucket of as hot water as my hands could stand.
2. Remove the plastic ring inside of the velour pads.
3. Soak the velour pads in the hot water bucket and get a good squeeze on the velour so the water gets deep in there. Note: Be careful not to really twist the earpad as I'd hate to see anyone rip the thin dust protector.
4. Air dry & re-assemble.

The foam inside of the velour pads still seems to have the same rigidity as before however the actual velour material has really softened up and the god awful itch is completely gone.

Thanks for that.  The last sentence (bolded) is nice to read.. I might give it a shot, just for kicks, if that's the case.  I avoided doing the pad wash cause, one, I was happy with them as is.. and, two, I worried the pads would get too 'mushy' after being soaked.  Did you detect any change in the sound?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #8,038 of 22,116
Quote:

Thanks for that.  The last sentence (bolded) is nice to read.. I might give it a shot, just for kicks, if that's the case.  I avoided doing the pad wash cause, one, I was happy with them as is.. and, two, I worried the pads would get too 'mushy' after being soaked.  Did you detect any change in the sound?

I can't detect any difference in sound. Since the foam inside is the same rigidity I think that the sound will stay the same. It really just softens up the material.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #8,039 of 22,116
Quote:
Have you got a good amp? I noticed relativly big changes from unamped to E17 and then again to Asgard amp.
Its ofc subjective but if you can try them out with a good amp.

I'm using the Pico amp/dac. I was considering Asgard 2 anyways, so I might pick one up along with a Bifrost. Originally I was set on the HE-500, but after all the rave reviews of the HE-400, I figured I would save some cash.

I'm still considering the HE-500 after my experience with the HE-400. Don't get me wrong, the HE-400 is pleasing--just not quite the religious experience I was hoping for (and might not exist with any can for me). 

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8,040 of 22,116
Quote:
Interestingly enough, I made the same transition.

I would encourage you to give them some time. Better yet, do some A/B back and forth with the phones and some of your favorite music. Doing that made it obvious to me that the HE's had some obvious advantages (even if I wasn't blown away initially either). I still like the 595s, but they just do not keep up with the speed, bass, and transparency of the HEs.

After a few days of listening - I was hooked. There is no going back. Get the velour pads also - they definitely have been more comfortable for me, and provide a somewhat less "fatiguing" sound to me. Others of course will also recommend 'modded' pads. But I would get to know the phones as-are for the time being. Again, I was also initially freaked that I had just wasted some serious cash - I was expecting something dramatic. The sound quality upgrade is there, but then again, the "sound signature", in my opinion, is quite similar to the 595s. Each are a bit aggressive and seem to provide a fairly balanced presentation.

I have been doing a lot of A/B over the past few days (using velours) and I agree--the sound quality upgrade exists. To my ears the HE-400 has a superior soundstage, more prominent bass, and substantially increased clarity although the treble is a bit overpowering at times. However, I also feel the HE-400 sounds hollow at times as well compared to the HD-595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back