**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #7,966 of 22,116
Count
Hm I might as well ask as an interest check:

Is anyone interested in getting their earpads jergpad-modded (latest version, complete with backvent mod, sub-bass mod, and velour cover mod)? It requires both a pair of pleathers (to be modded) and a pair of velours (to be cannibalized for its velour). If you pay for shipping both ways I won't charge extra. And it will be for taking photos for the revised 2.0 guide so trust me that I will be very careful with the protocols.

I'll only need 1 person to commit.
Jerg, from all the way in India count me in, shipping and all. Please let me know final amounts and I'll PayPal you. God, I am converting nouns to verbs.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #7,967 of 22,116
Aw man, talk about missing an opportunity... I don't suppose you'd be willing to mod a second pair would you jerg?

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,968 of 22,116
Quote:
Count
Jerg, from all the way in India count me in, shipping and all. Please let me know final amounts and I'll PayPal you. God, I am converting nouns to verbs.

Quote:
Aw man, talk about missing an opportunity... I don't suppose you'd be willing to mod a second pair would you jerg?

Sorry guys, I only needed 1 volunteer and merkil jumped on it. Anyway I will be writing up a very clear guide from the photos that will be taken modding his pads, so you guys will be well off modding the pads based on that upcoming guide.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #7,969 of 22,116
Quote:
Started with the E7, various receivers, Beyerdynamic Headzone, E9, Audio GD NFB-5, Schiit Lyr. Regardless, the Denon D7000 sounded basically the same no matter what I plugged it into. It doesn't scale much. Just an amazing headphone off basically anything.

I've recently tested D7000 with Schiit Lyr, but it has a lot of hiss and I am afraid I may burn them when I forget to lower the volume.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #7,973 of 22,116
Quote:

EQing it down just a bit is working great for me. The finishing touch.

I can't imagine using headphones without EQ after few last weeks, it helps so much in making cans sound exactly the way you want. Used iPhone 4S - FiiO E11 - CAL! today in work ... and it was like "what the.... is this" ? compared to home EQed headphones (actually doesn't matter which ones). 

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7,974 of 22,116
Good Afternoon Everyone. Does anyone have any experience with using the HE-400 with any of the little dot tube amps? I have a MkII and I know from reading much of the forums that several people had the MkIII. I feel like these amps are possibly not driving the HE-400 very well or they are simply not the best match. I would like to hear some people's input on this though 

Thanks! 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #7,978 of 22,116
Quote:
Anyone know who makes the MOST POWERFUL all-in-one DAC+AMP Combo? Something with good Bass and smooth highs with good voltage output would be nice. 

For an unbalanced dedicated headphone amp, the Schiit Lyr will put out the most power that I know of, and you can pair it with the Schiit Bifrost DAC - not an all in one solution, but they stack and look nice.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7,979 of 22,116
Quote:
So Im thinking of selling my Asgard (I actually have it listed) and switching to a pretty much mint recapped Vintage Marantz 1070 integrated amp to run the HE400s. Can any one suggest if this is a crazy idea???

I've never heard the Marantz, but it might be hard to sell your Asgard (depending on what price you list it) since Schiit is releasing the Asgard 2.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #7,980 of 22,116
Quote:
Call me crazy but this is the way I like my HE-400s sounding through my M&M stack.

You're crazy!  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back