**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #7,936 of 22,116
Quote:
After months of mulling over headphone debate, I finally ordered and subsequently received my HE-400 on Saturday. Although I do enjoy the HE-400 sound, I am not sure these cans are a $400 upgrade over my Senn HD-595 (IMO). Undoubtedly my expectations were too high from the outset, but I figured I'd be a bit more impressed given the step up in headphone tiers. Hopefully in time I will learn to appreciate my new purchase.

Interestingly enough, I made the same transition.

I would encourage you to give them some time. Better yet, do some A/B back and forth with the phones and some of your favorite music. Doing that made it obvious to me that the HE's had some obvious advantages (even if I wasn't blown away initially either). I still like the 595s, but they just do not keep up with the speed, bass, and transparency of the HEs.

After a few days of listening - I was hooked. There is no going back. Get the velour pads also - they definitely have been more comfortable for me, and provide a somewhat less "fatiguing" sound to me. Others of course will also recommend 'modded' pads. But I would get to know the phones as-are for the time being. Again, I was also initially freaked that I had just wasted some serious cash - I was expecting something dramatic. The sound quality upgrade is there, but then again, the "sound signature", in my opinion, is quite similar to the 595s. Each are a bit aggressive and seem to provide a fairly balanced presentation.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #7,937 of 22,116
i've been following these headphones for a bit and they do have me interested. if i were to order from headamp by getting in contact with justin to get his best price, would they still be returnable if i didnt like them? thanks.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #7,938 of 22,116
Quote:
i've been following these headphones for a bit and they do have me interested. if i were to order from headamp by getting in contact with justin to get his best price, would they still be returnable if i didnt like them? thanks.

I have a 30 day return policy.  You'd be refunded what you paid minus what it cost me to ship them to you.

Right now though, I am actually out of stock, and waiting to get more - looking like 1-2 weeks right now.  Everyone is still catching up from Chinese New Year.  But, when they do arrive, they'll be the absolute newest stock.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #7,939 of 22,116
Quote:
The HE-400s have the right quantity of bass. It's the extension that's the problem and the EQ can't really fix that. D2000s I had were definitely better at bass. 

I used to have D2000 for 2-3 years and my opinion is exactly opposite. HE-400 have much more detailed and punchy bass. D2000 was like cheap subwoofer bass in comparison (although it was enjoyable with some music). Anyway, HE-400 is definitely my preference in regards to bass, however I can understand the preference for D2000.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #7,940 of 22,116
Putting my HE-400 up on sale. Just remember, they are currently on loan until the end of next week, so pay now and they'll be shipped out as soon as he's finished.

As I mentioned before, no labelling (just the cable have the L/R indicators).

$300 total, $15 extra if not marked as gift. USA only. PM me if interested.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #7,941 of 22,116
Quote:
Putting my HE-400 up on sale. Just remember, they are currently on loan until the end of next week, so pay now and they'll be shipped out as soon as he's finished.

As I mentioned before, no labelling (just the cable have the L/R indicators).

$300 total, $15 extra if not marked as gift. USA only. PM me if interested.

May I ask why are you selling them ? Is it because you found some other cans better or just to get money for better ones ? I'am just curious.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #7,942 of 22,116
I'm satisfied with my Annie as my sole open can, and I'm using the funds (as well as selling my ODAC to my friend) for a D7000/TH-600. If I score one of those, I'm basically done with headphones, and I'm gonna be focused on other things.

The D7000 was always the perfect can for me (owned it twice), but I couldn't stand the pleather for long. Now that I have had a taste of leather pads, I can see Lawton pads working out for the D7000 assuming it doesn't alter the bass much.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #7,943 of 22,116
I have a 30 day return policy.  You'd be refunded what you paid minus what it cost me to ship them to you.

Right now though, I am actually out of stock, and waiting to get more - looking like 1-2 weeks right now.  Everyone is still catching up from Chinese New Year.  But, when they do arrive, they'll be the absolute newest stock.

Sounds good since I don't need them just yet. Will PM you soon. Thanks

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #7,946 of 22,116
I'm willing to bet otherwise. I love the HE-400, but I'm done with treble that emphasized.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #7,948 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm willing to bet otherwise. I love the HE-400, but I'm done with treble that emphasized.

Isn't EQing it down little working for you ? As for D7000, never heard it so can't tell anything about it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #7,950 of 22,116
I don't like to EQ as not everything I plug my headphones into has EQ or a good enough one.

The D7000 has been my fave can since I first owned one. I'm just going back to my endgame headphone. I prefer it to even the LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back