**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4,816 of 22,116
Quote:

Interesting. What was your thought process when choosing between the thicker pleather screen vs the more transparent velour one for the J$ pads? I would have thought the more the transparent the better regardless but I haven't heard the J$ pads as I haven't received them yet. Do they have a huge treble spike that you are trying to cut down with the thicker nylon?

Yep, my HE500s sound a bit too bright with velours / velour nylon screen / no screen, but just right with the thicker nylon from pleathers.

A similar effect with HE400 I think, for those who complain about its tizzy treble.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4,817 of 22,116
Trying the velours again after a good bender with pleathers.

I've gotten so good at pad installs that I can have them swapped in like a minute flat.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,819 of 22,116
I should say "so good" relative to my previous attempts :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #4,820 of 22,116
A brief description of my first experience with the HE-400:  SPELLBINDING.  The first albums I listened to were Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come, Agalloch - The Mantle and Com Truise - In Decay for variety (probably 3 of my most listened to recently).  Though I'm still waiting for my Magni, I ran them via my E11 and was entranced.  No regrets here!

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4,821 of 22,116
^^ Just fired up Ornette Coleman...awesome for improvisational jazz. Somewhat similar to Miles Davis. Thanks for the heads up on that one!! Glad that you're liking the he400's. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #4,822 of 22,116
So, I'm heading towards ordering a pair of 400s; I'd be driving them with a first-gen Audio-GD NFB-12. How's that pairing?

In keeping with good audio practice, I'd probaby be willing to spend around the price of the HPs for a DAC and amp, if I were to upgrade.

I listen mostly to pop/rock, "classic" jazz (Miles, Trane, Monk), and small-group and solo classical. I'd like to maximize the imaging (which I know is a strong suit of these 'phones), have a realistic, stable, soundstage, and a fairly balanced sound (although, at my age, a little extra treble is not a bad thing).

I'm currently listening to ATH-AD700s, which have a ridiculous (in the good way) soundstage, but seem light in the bass and a little "thin" overall. Want better. Y'all know the feeling. :D

Would something like a Little Dot Mk III and an ODAC be a meaningful upgrade? Other ideas?

Thanks for advice and comments.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #4,823 of 22,116
It sounds to me that the he400's would be a good match for you. Just what you may be looking for actually. And that nfb12 is fine. I'd stick with it for awhile unless your'e just itching to spend some more money. I had the he400 with a couple different audio gd amps and they sounded quite good together. So, go ahead and pull the trigger and enjoy. Imaging is special on these. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,824 of 22,116
Quote:
So, I'm heading towards ordering a pair of 400s; I'd be driving them with a first-gen Audio-GD NFB-12. How's that pairing?

In keeping with good audio practice, I'd probaby be willing to spend around the price of the HPs for a DAC and amp, if I were to upgrade.

I listen mostly to pop/rock, "classic" jazz (Miles, Trane, Monk), and small-group and solo classical. I'd like to maximize the imaging (which I know is a strong suit of these 'phones), have a realistic, stable, soundstage, and a fairly balanced sound (although, at my age, a little extra treble is not a bad thing).

I'm currently listening to ATH-AD700s, which have a ridiculous (in the good way) soundstage, but seem light in the bass and a little "thin" overall. Want better. Y'all know the feeling.
biggrin.gif

Would something like a Little Dot Mk III and an ODAC be a meaningful upgrade? Other ideas?

Thanks for advice and comments.

nfb-12 has the power, but the dac is holding it back.  I dont think you can bypass it either, so the DAC greatly limits the NFB-12.  ODAC or bifrost made the world of difference for me

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,825 of 22,116
I now have a pair of OEM HE-400s... as in no Hifiman branding... nor left/right markers (that's what the cable markings are for). That cheap ass lettering was starting to rub off, so I took my nail to it and rubbed it off completely (it just comes off like nothing). Now it's perfectly smooth and blue. No atrocious, cheap looking Hifiman logos. :rolleyes:

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,826 of 22,116
Quote:
I now have a pair of OEM HE-400s... as in no Hifiman branding... nor left/right markers (that's what the cable markings are for). That cheap ass lettering was starting to rub off, so I took my nail to it and rubbed it off completely. Now it's perfectly smooth and blue. No atrocious, cheap looking Hifiman logos.
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like you decided not to bother worrying about reselling them then? Dude you should totally save up and Pimp Yo Cans.

I would go for a custom colour, maybe a dark red with silver specks.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #4,827 of 22,116
I'll still probably sell them. If people are so worried about Hifiman branding, they shouldn't bother buying these as it will come off eventually.

That area is perfect anyways, just no branding.

It looks even more classy without it anyways. Like prototype HE-400s.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4,829 of 22,116
The hifiman logo reminds me of like a retro looking deli meat sticker.

Deli meat headphones!

I still won't rub it off though, I like it broadcasting the model number to the world/resell prospects.

Plus, it shows that I am. a Hi Fi man.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,830 of 22,116
Did you scratch off the L and R too?

Yes. The cables have their own markings, so I find it nicer to look at without those cheap white markings. I could just use a small sticker or something on the underside of the headband to let me know what side is the right, etc, if I remove the cables. Not that it matters, as the Hifimans can be worn either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back