**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #4,846 of 22,116
Quote:
Good to know thanks jerg.

I'm sure it's been asked but why keep he-400 and he-500? Aren't you finding yourself using one over the other most of the time?

Currently I'm mostly using the HE500 because I don't have a place to put the HE400 alongside. Once I figure that out I will be listening to them depending on the genre of music and mood. IMO they are sufficiently different-sounding (HE500 = very neutral and mild, HE400 = very fun and dynamic) to be complementary.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #4,847 of 22,116
Moved today and carried the headphones on my lap. Happy to report they arrived safe and sound at the new place!

Excited to get my Lyr on soon. Hope it's not overkill for HE-400 (in a detrimental way) and I have great control with it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #4,848 of 22,116
I think the white grill mod is the best I've seen in this thread.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #4,849 of 22,116
Quote:
Newest owner of the Magni/Modi + HE-400 club!  Quite a noticeable difference from me coming from the E17s. 

Looks damn sexy on my desk at work!  Although, it's not too portable, I managed. 

What I like about this stack over the E17 is the gain of clarity.  Everything sounds cleaner and clearer than ever before. 
I'm forever the skeptic, always questioning how much of what I read on Head-fi is exaggerated claims, etc.  But I can honestly say that the Schiit stack makes a difference to my ears.

One complaint.  I am hearing loud hissing on some songs, and then no hiss at all on other songs.  Is this what they mean by "revealing"?  Am I finally noticing bad recordings? 

And even though I am content with this stack so far, I can't help but wonder about either upgrading the DAC or going with the Aune T1 tube amp/dac.  Any thoughts?

The better the source the better the sound.  That hiss your hearing might be tape hiss present on older recordings, although modern mastering methods I believe try to remove this.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,850 of 22,116
Quote:
Lol, I use my Annie 90% of the time now. The HE400 is definitely the alternative, not the main anymore.

I'd love to hear those some time mad lust. 
size]
 I think that it is important to substantiate your claims about them that another senior member here give them a listen. It will add to the credibility of your impressions. 
size]

Quote:
What JVC buds are you speaking of? I need something to wear while mowing the grass or running at the gym...

I see there's a 1996 and a 2010 that both say remastered on amazon - I assume y'all are talking about the 2010 version?

LOL - I was wondering the same thing.  I've been trying to decide between the shiit amp/e17 and was waiting for the reviews on the e07k vs the e17 before ordering something.

Heya Danger - yes - the burn in will help. I was very skeptical about the burn-in theory - but some nasty resonances went away after a few days or so (playing loud pink noise continually between listening sessions) and now they sound very good.  I'm playing from my x-fi hd titanium -> logitech Z4 dock (which is amplified some, I suppose). 

I wonder about the dac situation, but I've had to make a large playlist of FLAC or better recordings.  You can really hear a lot of what's going on in the music.  I would really love it if there was an easy way to do a blind ABX with a dac.

The e07k is very good with the he400. It's just a small fraction off from the e17 and I'm not sure that I can even hear it tbh. Because there was a $60 difference on the price between the e07 and e17 it was an easy choice. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,851 of 22,116
Quote:
Moved today and carried the headphones on my lap. Happy to report they arrived safe and sound at the new place!

Excited to get my Lyr on soon. Hope it's not overkill for HE-400 (in a detrimental way) and I have great control with it.

The good thing about moving and being formidable in stature is that you don't have to pay anyone to move you. 
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,852 of 22,116
I'd love to hear those some time mad lust. 
size]

I think that it is important to substantiate your claims about them that another senior member here give them a listen. It will add to the credibility of your impressions.

I'm sending out my HE-400 to some others first. Once I get them back, I'll make the rounds with the Annie, and I'll include you. This is assuming that I still have the HE-400 or X1.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4,856 of 22,116
The only things I'd trade for is the HE-500, HD800, LCD2 (which I'm already getting a demo from in the near future), and X1. Realistically speaking. I doubt someone would swap an LCD3, HE-6, SR-009, TH-900. :D

If the HE-500 is that much worse with velours than the pleathers, I would never ever consider buying it. :wink:

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4,858 of 22,116
Hmm... if you have SE adapters... let's talk later. I may trade with you. Just not yet. These babies are still too new, and I don't wanna part with them so early, and especially not before I add them to my gaming guide.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #4,859 of 22,116
griff is spot on there, if the masters are bad no amount of "remastering" will save them. then it becomes a question of does changing them in essence destroy the original intent or historical merit. I say just go with it but that's me. Modern recordings should sound cleaner even if the artist uses feedback and fuzz effects.

Just last week at a local headfi meeting I got a chance to listen to the HE-400 and knew in thirty seconds I'd be getting a pair. I know that seems a short audition, I did listen for a few more songs but the initial impression hadn't changed.my mind. So here I am with the new headphones and the modi/magni stack on order. I've been using an emu-202 and they sound very good but I can't help but think the a dac / amp pairing is a step up. The emu puts out 3/4 of a watt, not bad, and does 24/96 and everything in between. To be fair I did hear them on a Burson Audio HA-160D, thats a nice amp/dac combo!

I have maybe 20 hours on them, tried a tube preamp with them, nice. an android, ok but a little anemic, best sound so far is from the outboard soundcard.

I watched the video of changing the pads, it this so easy that I'm over thinking it? tear off, insert tab and rotate to lock, slide back insert any errant tab and check the seat?

edit: much too easy to change. pop it out, pop it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back