**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #4,741 of 22,116
Do the J$ earpads make your ears sweat? Every pleather pad I've tried so far has made me sweat after listening for a few hours.

Hence why velours > all.

I've had pleather, leather, lambskin leather. They all suck in terms of sweat and stickiness.

Won't do for the hot Florida weather.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #4,742 of 22,116
just pulled the trigger on these with velour pads included. I'm looking for a significant upgrade from srh-840 and hopefully this is the end of the road for me. My wallet considers the 450 canadian to be a pretty significant hit :p I've heard that my fiio e17 isn't able to bring out the full potential of the he-400, but I really hope it does a good job because I don't feel like spending money for a different amp. Anyway I can't wait to hear them!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4,743 of 22,116
Quote:
Do the J$ earpads make your ears sweat? Every pleather pad I've tried so far has made me sweat after listening for a few hours.

Not here in the Canadian winter, no. This all comes down to where you are, geographically.

But even relatively, the J$ lambskin leather is much better than Hifiman pleather material, the real leather stays dry and actually absorbs the oils from our skin rather than letting it grease up on the surface.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4,744 of 22,116
Quote:
just pulled the trigger on these with velour pads included. I'm looking for a significant upgrade from srh-840 and hopefully this is the end of the road for me. My wallet considers the 450 canadian to be a pretty significant hit :p I've heard that my fiio e17 isn't able to bring out the full potential of the he-400, but I really hope it does a good job because I don't feel like spending money for a different amp. Anyway I can't wait to hear them!!

I wouldn't really worry about another amp for now tbh. The he400 sounds VERY good right off the e17...it will serve you well. Just put on the velours, plug it in and enjoy!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4,749 of 22,116
So Matt, I'm thinking about getting the Lyr. I'll admit right off the bat that I was intrigued by the Lyr when it was released based on the desire to try a tube amp (hadn't at that point) and its overall sexiness. Happy to hear it's a great amp with a ton of power, but at the time all I could afford was the Little Dot MKIII. Now that I'm considering getting the M&M stack, I'm wondering if I should save some money and get a Lyr instead for my HE-400. 

Do you get good control on the Lyr with the HE-400? I know it has more than enough power, is it ever ... too much? Does it sound much better than the E17? I just see it in your sig so I was wondering.

If I got it, I wouldn't be getting a Bifrost, though. Have you used it with the HE-400 with other DACs? I'd probably use it with the E17 as a DAC or perhaps the Modi. I gotta say, if I make another step up in headphones, it would have to be the HE-500 or the LCD2. I think that's endgame for me, is the Lyr future proofed for those two?

I'm asking you because it's in your sig :] Any specific thoughts as to the sound signature with Lyr and HE-400?

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #4,750 of 22,116
Quote:
Those are two great alternatives. I was on the odac (built by Joe at audio poutine, not jds labs) and I was very happy with the performance. The bifrost is a modest upgrade but quite a bit more expensive. If you are stuck buying the usb version of the bifrost, I can't justify the expense. Heck, I'm not sure that I can justify the expense even for the non-usb which is $100 cheaper. ]

As an owner of both I have no problem recommending the odac. There are some who have had "power" issues with the odac. I was not one of them.

Ok , that provides me with an alternative of buying an ODAC. Thanks Matt!

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,751 of 22,116
The ODAC is an amazing dac. Not one issue with it here. Not as pretty as the Modi, Bifrost, but it's small enough to tuck away behind your amp. I just wish the 'front plate' was what had the branding, not the back). JDS Labs needs to work on aesthetics. The 3.5mm and usb inputs and branding should be on opposite sides.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #4,754 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh boy, I just cannibalized a pair of Hifiman pleather pads, and transplanted their nylon screens over to the J$'s. Perfect earpads achieved.

Yeah that's what I plan on doing, I've already cut out the nylon off one pad. The nylon really isn't all that stretched so it should work great.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #4,755 of 22,116
Quote:
So Matt, I'm thinking about getting the Lyr. I'll admit right off the bat that I was intrigued by the Lyr when it was released based on the desire to try a tube amp (hadn't at that point) and its overall sexiness. Happy to hear it's a great amp with a ton of power, but at the time all I could afford was the Little Dot MKIII. Now that I'm considering getting the M&M stack, I'm wondering if I should save some money and get a Lyr instead for my HE-400. 

Do you get good control on the Lyr with the HE-400? I know it has more than enough power, is it ever ... too much? Does it sound much better than the E17? I just see it in your sig so I was wondering.

If I got it, I wouldn't be getting a Bifrost, though. Have you used it with the HE-400 with other DACs? I'd probably use it with the E17 as a DAC or perhaps the Modi. I gotta say, if I make another step up in headphones, it would have to be the HE-500 or the LCD2. I think that's endgame for me, is the Lyr future proofed for those two?

I'm asking you because it's in your sig :] Any specific thoughts as to the sound signature with Lyr and HE-400?

The lyr and the he400 make a very nice match. BUT...if I didn't have other hp's that were hard to drive, I would have never gotten the lyr. But the lyr just for the he400? Um...no. I'm too frugal to justify that. But for me and my frugality, I justify the lyr because I also use it to drive the hd650 and maddogs. It will make those two SING...the he400 is just a bonus. You might be getting 10% more. If I were not going to drive other hp's such as the ones I've mentioned or ones like the he500/he6, then I'd buy the small Schitt stack no question. 
Quote:

Ok , that provides me with an alternative of buying an ODAC. Thanks Matt!

Good luck to you sir!!!
Quote:
The ODAC is an amazing dac. Not one issue with it here. Not as pretty as the Modi, Bifrost, but it's small enough to tuck away behind your amp. I just wish the 'front plate' was what had the branding, not the back). JDS Labs needs to work on aesthetics. The 3.5mm and usb inputs and branding should be on opposite sides.

The odac by Audio Poutine is much nicer looking than the jds labs version IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back