**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #4,606 of 22,116
Quote:
So are those pads actually easy to put on, for someone who is stupid at assembling things and thought he broke his headphones just messing with the pleathers?

For those of us with cucumber sized fingers, we'll need to ask our wives to assist with the pad installation. 
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #4,608 of 22,116
I also got in touch with Jeremy and placed an order with him. Not sure how many he's got left, but paid a bit more just to get them.

I blame Jerg for making me spend money again...:;

Steve

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,609 of 22,116
Quote:
They don't really need a lot of the volume pot to get up to full speed. So I'd say that you're good to go.

Also, I ordered a fiio e07k to play with and will try out with the he400. Found a place to get it for $80 shipped which I thought was a decent deal. More to come...

Love to hear your impressions.  Got a question - what's the deal with the dock?  Is it for higher output?

When I first got mine last week, I was not impressed and assumed I needed amplification.  The sound was kind of harsh and had no weight to it (maybe the mids were recessed?).  Well, I used to roll my eyes at all the break in talk. Couple of days ago I was listening to the track below (artist tip came from the WOOO thread) and I fell in love!

I'm running from my xfi titanium hd to logitech Z4 'port' to headphone - but the idea of a portable solution is attractive for laptop / phone use.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #4,610 of 22,116
Quote:
I also got in touch with Jeremy and placed an order with him. Not sure how many he's got left, but paid a bit more just to get them.

I blame Jerg for making me spend money again...:;

Steve

Yeah he did bump the price up a little bit, still less than original retail. Hopefully they're worth it, if they're as comfy as they look then they are worth it for me.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4,611 of 22,116
Quote:
The problem I see with the HE-4 being sent out is that UNDOUBTEDLY, people are not gonna have amps powerful enough to drive them properly, and aren't gonna be pleased with the thin, restrained sound coming out of the HE-4.

Nothing short of the EF-5, Audio-GD's offerings (which tend to have lots of power at low impedances), the Lyr, etc, should be what people use. More than 2 watts at 40ohm.

newbie question....deciding between the HE-400's & HE-500's....QUESTION: "if" there were a test HE-500 pair sent around, could i just use the headphone output from the receiver of my home stereo system to drive the HE-500's ? ...and get to fully experience the sound quality......(it's rated at like 30-40 watts per channel and i dont have an amp/dac combo for my computer yet).

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,614 of 22,116
Quote:
Stereo receivers are great for amping headphones.

Although depending on the receiver it might have a higher noise floor and THD levels than most audiophile headphone amps.

SOME receivers are good to amp hard to drive headphones, but not all. I have a nice 8 year old denon receiver and and newer Onkyo. They both stink at driving hp's. Many have had better luck with vintage receivers. I'd say that wje could give you a good idea of the one's he's used that have worked well. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4,615 of 22,116
Quote:
somewhere online, i saw this about my receiver "the receiver puts out 30 Watts RMS into 8 ohms, with no more than 0.06% THD"

That sounds pretty good. Granted you're going to be giving it more than an 8 ohm load, but at the same time you're not gonna get anywhere close to putting 30 Watts into it. You don't even need 1 Watt for the HE-500 from what I've heard(I believe you can get about 119dB on them with a watt).

So yeah, that will work great as a headphone amp. As long as you don't get noise at your optimal listening levels.

Quote:

SOME receivers are good to amp hard to drive headphones, but not all. I have a nice 8 year old denon receiver and and newer Onkyo. They both stink at driving hp's. Many have had better luck with vintage receivers. I'd say that wje could give you a good idea of the one's he's used that have worked well.

Yeah I'd imagine some can be pretty bad. But I've had good luck on random one's at my parent's house that have been there for a while. Not the best noise floor but still sound great.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,616 of 22,116
Quote:
newbie question....deciding between the HE-400's & HE-500's....QUESTION: "if" there were a test HE-500 pair sent around, could i just use the headphone output from the receiver of my home stereo system to drive the HE-500's ? ...and get to fully experience the sound quality......(it's rated at like 30-40 watts per channel and i dont have an amp/dac combo for my computer yet).

To answer your question, a 4-Pin XLR (balanced cable) would be best in this situation.  The cable, paired with a set of speaker taps would be the best way to try out the planar headphones.  I'm not sure if Justin would be open to this in the trial period.  However, the correct speaker tap cable could be built with a resistor in-line, to prevent damage from occuring to the headphones from too much juice.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #4,617 of 22,116
If anyone, United States based is looking for a Schiit Magni amp (in "As new" condition), let me know.  I bought two, as I'm the second owner, but will only be needing one.  $80.00, shipped within the U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back