**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,046 of 22,116
Do you mean a jury-rigged balanced cable? Sure would love to hear your HE-400 with the Mjolnir and Gungnir on Saturday. Maybe Justin has a balanced HE cable--is that a stock item?

...However, we have a headphone meet on that day and want to pack my HE-400s, but fret I may have to use a jury rigged cable as I don't want to assemble a cable, then rip it apart to install the jacket material.  Grumble ...

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,047 of 22,116
Quote:
You're not the first person to have this same experience and realization about the pads. The beyer pads will not fit. There is a third party company working on new pads for the he400. You'll have to wait it out like the rest of us. 

Oh man looking forward to it. Any ETA on the third party pads?

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,048 of 22,116
Everyone's impressions of the HE-400's have been a joy to read.  Keep up the good work.

Has anyone tried the HE-400's w/ the V200?  I found the V200 to have a closed in sound which might help with bringing the mids/vocals forward.  At the same time, having a 1000$ amp powering a 400$ headphone is unusual?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3,052 of 22,116
Not to be used as the last word on how a headphone will sound, I agree.  That's where one's ears come in.  Using a FR as a ballpark as to what to expect in terms of presentation does come in handy when purchasing headphones one might not ever have a chance to audition before purchase.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,053 of 22,116
Quote:
Do you mean a jury-rigged balanced cable? Sure would love to hear your HE-400 with the Mjolnir and Gungnir on Saturday. Maybe Justin has a balanced HE cable--is that a stock item?

I was planning on just building a standard SET cable with the SMC connectors at the other end.  However, I do already have an XLR cable with speaker taps that I plan on packing.  If time permits on Friday evening, I might be able to install a 4-pin Neutrik XLR cable as a temporary solution prior to Saturday's meet.

Edit: I kind of like these "triple threat" cables from Double Helix Cables, which would allow one to run virtually any cable with their HifiMAN headphones.

Linkhttp://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=37

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #3,054 of 22,116
Like a big dummy, I sold off my HE-series balanced Canare cable.  I have the supplies to make a new one, with the exception of the sleeving that I've ordered and is supposed to arrive on or before this Saturday.  However, we have a headphone meet on that day and want to pack my HE-400s, but fret I may have to use a jury rigged cable as I don't want to assemble a cable, then rip it apart to install the jacket material.  Grumble ...

While I do miss my HE-400s, since they've essentially been on the headphone rack for a bit more than a week, I do have the AKG K167 Tiesto to keep me occupied. :wink:   Though, I want to get my HE-400s back up and running so I can make a decent comparison, the K167s are a great, closed bass-producing headphone.  The bass isn't just a "one note" bass maker either.  It is detailed and makes my ears happy.  I'm still breaking in the K167s, too, so until they've had a few weeks of burn-in time, I'm reluctant to provide a real critical review at this point in time.

Kind of weird to compare open to closed headphones.

Using the D7000's as a reference as I found them to have a recessed midrange, the HE-400's seem to exhibit the same behavior in the FR.  What am I missing?

The HE-400's are forward. chart doesn't always work.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #3,055 of 22,116
Quote:

a 4-pin XLR balanced cable comes with the HE-6, which i will be bringing with me.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #3,056 of 22,116
Quote:
Kind of weird to compare open to closed headphones.

How so?  I'll have to admit that the K167 is a pretty "open" sounding headphone with bass comparable to the HE-400s and highs more akin to the detail of a Grado.

But, I'll digress ... this is a HifiMAN HE-400 appreciation thread, and I don't plan on selling them anytime soon.  
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #3,057 of 22,116
How so?  I'll have to admit that the K167 is a pretty "open" sounding headphone with bass comparable to the HE-400s and highs more akin to the detail of a Grado.

But, I'll digress ... this is a HifiMAN HE-400 appreciation thread, and I don't plan on selling them anytime soon.  :wink:

haha :D

Oh, so you're comparing the bass. How does the $200 headphone bass compare to the $400 one? :cool:

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #3,058 of 22,116
So, I spent 1 hour listening to vocals with the HE-400 yesterday.

I stand by my first impression: the sound is dull with male vocals (especially lower registers like Leonard Cohen). The recess in the mids (right after the lower-mids region, I suppose) make the overall voice lack clarity.

I also listened to female voice (Norah Jones' - Not too late & Wish I could). This is better, it doesn't fall in the lower-mids so does not exhibit the aforementioned "flaw". The clarity is good but it sounds a bit "thin" (due to its dark signature).

One thing I also noticed is a bit of "distortion" along with Norah Jones' voice. I don't know if the mids actually distort or if the treble emphasis brings out some sort of recording artifact? I notices this with Led Zeppelin as well.
I don't hear such things on the Norah Jones case with the HE-500. However, the 500s brings out all the recording flaws in the 3 albums of Led Zeppelin (more so than the 400s, which are less resolving).

I also stand by my first conclusion: the HE-500 easily outclass the HE-400 in all aspects, except maybe the bass (that's more a matter of taste than pure performance difference though). It is more musical (the sound is lush & full), performs delightfully with any genre and is a better all-rounder (due to its more neutral signature).

I will try to play with EQing a bit, which is hardly (if at all) a concern for me, if it can fix the issue.

To be continued :wink:

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3,059 of 22,116
Quote:
So, I spent 1 hour listening to vocals with the HE-400 yesterday.

I stand by my first impression: the sound is dull with male vocals (especially lower registers like Leonard Cohen). The recess in the mids (right after the lower-mids region, I suppose) make the overall voice lack clarity.

I also listened to female voice (Norah Jones' - Not too late & Wish I could). This is better, it doesn't fall in the lower-mids so does not exhibit the aforementioned "flaw". The clarity is good but it sounds a bit "thin" (due to its dark signature).

One thing I also noticed is a bit of "distortion" along with Norah Jones' voice. I don't know if the mids actually distort or if the treble emphasis brings out some sort of recording artifact? I notices this with Led Zeppelin as well.
I don't hear such things on the Norah Jones case with the HE-500. However, the 500s brings out all the recording flaws in the 3 albums of Led Zeppelin (more so than the 400s, which are less resolving).

I also stand by my first conclusion: the HE-500 easily outclass the HE-400 in all aspects, except maybe the bass (that's more a matter of taste than pure performance difference though). It is more musical (the sound is lush & full), performs delightfully with any genre and is a better all-rounder (due to its more neutral signature).

I will try to play with EQing a bit, which is hardly (if at all) a concern for me, if it can fix the issue.

To be continued :wink:

I don't think anyone disputes with that. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,060 of 22,116
I was planning on just building a standard SET cable with the SMC connectors at the other end.  However, I do already have an XLR cable with speaker taps that I plan on packing.  If time permits on Friday evening, I might be able to install a 4-pin Neutrik XLR cable as a temporary solution prior to Saturday's meet.

Edit: I kind of like these "triple threat" cables from Double Helix Cables, which would allow one to run virtually any cable with their HifiMAN headphones.

Ok, cool. I'm not sure I 'd like those connectors swinging around my head on the DH cable.

a 4-pin XLR balanced cable comes with the HE-6, which i will be bringing with me.  

Gracias, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back