**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3,076 of 22,116
The output impedance is not a factor to the Hifiman Orthos. They are basically immune to impedance mismatch.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3,077 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand this statement at all.  Or should I say it's not unusual to me at all.  Would it be better the other way around?  

I have a few sub $500 headphones I just love on all my +$1000 amps..  

Quote:

I think what he means is that people that are on the early days of their Head-fi journey will try to match the prices of their gears. Those for which the HE-400 is the best (most expensive) headphone they've ever owned, might not already own +$1000 amps to pair it with. 
You definitely don't belong to this category. According to your sig, you seem more advanced in your journey. In the present case, you're more the kind of Head-fier who would try the HE-400 "for fun" just to see how far $400 can get you compared to the +$1000 headphones you already own. In your point of view, you see no reason why you should not use the +$1000 amps you own with it (and you would be wrong not to use them :D). I bought the HE-400 for the very same reason, though I didn't quite reach the same level of prices (my gears are more in the $500-700 range, each).

Clem, you hit it on the head as that is exactly what I was getting at.  For someone that is already at the tip of their budget when purchasing a $400 headphone, they will most likely be looking at a more reasonably priced amp to drive them.

Maybe at our next local meet someone will bring with them a HE-400.  Fingers crossed.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,078 of 22,116
Got the HE-400 like 20 minutes ago running.
Ok, so is it tear-dropping? no
Is it a revolution? No
Is this headphone something i would recommend to everyone? No
Would i give it as a gift? No

Will i return them to the store? HELL NO!

From my Fiio E17+Sennheisers HD380 this is not exactly an "upgrade", its a new tier. I get 100% waht HIFIMAN means by planar Magnetic.

Its a bit diffrent from what im used to and yet from the first 3 minutes i tested them, i cant take them off (bare in mind that thou i am FAR more used to another sound signature, this is addictive).

I am a total noob when it comes to using terms like "bright", "warm", etc.
For me, this can is quite simply a strong contendant to my Z-5500 speakers, and even those are not the best you can buy, i love them.

I an very thankfull to HIFIMAN for producing those at such an affordable price (yes, for me they are affordable if i compare to quality).

I thank you all Head-Fi.org for keeping up the good work. I cannot stress enought how helpfull everyone has been on this site, not only giving good advice, but also allowing me to make my own "informed decision".

I jsut ****** hope the mayans are wrong about the end of the world, cus even thou my ex still is missing and i want the world to burn (joker type), i really want to enjoy these cans for long, very long.

(My wallet says screw YOU) :D.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,079 of 22,116
Welcome to the club!! I hope that you ordered the velour pads for them. 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #3,080 of 22,116
I forgot, about one question that pops up a lot:

HOW DOES THE FIIO DRIVE THEM?

Well i tried at the store both the E17 with my comow i9 and then they connected it to their Icon HDP i think it was.

There was a definite difrence, BUT i was running crappy mp3 (really bad mp3 if you ask me) compared to tubular bells from a cd.

I will comment later on since i mainly got them for gaming.

But the Fiio i belive was not the ONLY limiting factor (the volume off my laptop with the fiio at max is INTOLERABLE).

For me the money as of today is well spent, and at the store they asked me to come with them once the burn-in is done (and since there is a nice girl there you know i will :D).

i am now running papa roach cd in my laptop and its the first time in my life i enjoy songs i found a bit boring. 

But as i said, more on this later.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,081 of 22,116
The e17 will drive them pretty well. It's one of the unique qualities of the he400 that they are able reach most of their potential on very modest amping. There is some room for scaling on better amps though when you're ready for it. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,083 of 22,116
Quote:
Welcome to the club!! I hope that you ordered the velour pads for them. 
wink.gif

I asked the seller, he is unsure if he can get them but he will send me a sms as soon as he knows (in poland its the first HE-400 that is actually sold).

And thx :D

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #3,084 of 22,116
Quote:
haha
biggrin.gif

Oh, so you're comparing the bass. How does the $200 headphone bass compare to the $400 one?
cool.gif

Actually, to my ears, the K167 is a remarkable peformer.  Does it feature the most solid construction?  Well, the plastic is reinforced but some members still have issues with the quality of the build.  I realize that I will not be tossing these around, so the K167s should do very well for my headphone addiction needs.  It is a very lightweight, flat folding headphone.  The bass quality with the AKG is really, really good.  Also, the upper end has a bit of Grado-like detail, or sparkle.  But for the price of $200, it makes me happy to know that we can still get quite capable products in this price league.  In fact, the bass detail and texture on my Fostex T50s can't even compete with the K167s.  But, the K167 could easily remain in the shadows of the HE-400 and still shine proud.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3,085 of 22,116
Quote:

Actually, to my ears, the K167 is a remarkable peformer.  Does it feature the most solid construction?  Well, the plastic is reinforced but some members still have issues with the quality of the build.  I realize that I will not be tossing these around, so the K167s should do very well for my headphone addiction needs.  It is a very lightweight, flat folding headphone.  The bass quality with the AKG is really, really good.  Also, the upper end has a bit of Grado-like detail, or sparkle.  But for the price of $200, it makes me happy to know that we can still get quite capable products in this price league.  In fact, the bass detail and texture on my Fostex T50s can't even compete with the K167s.  But, the K167 could easily remain in the shadows of the HE-400 and still shine proud.

So you'd say that the K167 is a good bit brighter than the he400? 

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3,086 of 22,116
Quote:
So you'd say that the K167 is a good bit brighter than the he400? 

It is brighter, or more detailed - depending on how you look at it.  However, it (the K167) does not shriek the upper frequencies out so wildly that one can't wear the headphones for an extended period.  In summary, the K167 has a "fun" sound and after my experience with the HE-400s,   The K167, for the price of $200 should not disappoint many buyers given its price point and all that is offered at the price point.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,088 of 22,116
I forgot, about one question that pops up a lot:

HOW DOES THE FIIO DRIVE THEM?

Well i tried at the store both the E17 with my comow i9 and then they connected it to their Icon HDP i think it was.

There was a definite difrence, BUT i was running crappy mp3 (really bad mp3 if you ask me) compared to tubular bells from a cd.

I will comment later on since i mainly got them for gaming.

But the Fiio i belive was not the ONLY limiting factor (the volume off my laptop with the fiio at max is INTOLERABLE).

For me the money as of today is well spent, and at the store they asked me to come with them once the burn-in is done (and since there is a nice girl there you know i will :D).

i am now running papa roach cd in my laptop and its the first time in my life i enjoy songs i found a bit boring. 

But as i said, more on this later.

The E17 drives them well as an amp only, and amp/dac from computer/laptop.

The HE-400 sounded ok on 320kbps MP3s, but sounds a lot more digital with FLAC and Lossless audio. It depends on the music you listen to, but like with techno, sometimes the upper highs can sound harsh.

Oh by the way, good luck gaming with the HE-400, you won't be able to have prolonged gameplay as they are quite heavy.

I run them out of the HDP, they sound good (not great). I suspect that 300mW @ 32ohm isn't enough to fully drive them.

- Tim

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,090 of 22,116
I haven't had any problems with prolonged gaming sessions. They aren't that heavy. Ear fatigue gets to me much quicker than the weight.

LOOOL. I agree hahaha.

It adjusted to me after 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back