**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3,061 of 22,116
I wish that I was able to attend meets and try out new stuff. Nothing ever around Atlanta. 
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #3,062 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think anyone disputes with that. 

Well I read many times that the difference between the 400s & 500s was more a matter of sound signature than anything else.
The way I understood this is: the 400s are on par with the 500s in a technical standpoint. This is not what I hear but I must admit it's still very good for $400, tonal balanced aside.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #3,066 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand this statement at all.  Or should I say it's not unusual to me at all.  Would it be better the other way around?  

I have a few sub $500 headphones I just love on all my +$1000 amps..  

I think what he means is that people that are on the early days of their Head-fi journey will try to match the prices of their gears. Those for which the HE-400 is the best (most expensive) headphone they've ever owned, might not already own +$1000 amps to pair it with. 
You definitely don't belong to this category. According to your sig, you seem more advanced in your journey. In the present case, you're more the kind of Head-fier who would try the HE-400 "for fun" just to see how far $400 can get you compared to the +$1000 headphones you already own. In your point of view, you see no reason why you should not use the +$1000 amps you own with it (and you would be wrong not to use them :D). I bought the HE-400 for the very same reason, though I didn't quite reach the same level of prices (my gears are more in the $500-700 range, each).

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #3,067 of 22,116
Quote:

I think what he means is that people that are on the early days of their Head-fi journey will try to match the prices of their gears. Those for which the HE-400 is the best (most expensive) headphone they've ever owned, might not already own +$1000 amps to pair it with. 
You definitely don't belong to this category. According to your sig, you seem more advanced in your journey. In the present case, you're more the kind of Head-fier who would try the HE-400 "for fun" just to see how far $400 can get you compared to the +$1000 headphones you already own. In your point of view, you see no reason why you should not use the +$1000 amps you own with it (and you would be wrong not to use them :D). I bought the HE-400 for the very same reason, though I didn't quite reach the same level of prices (my gears are more in the $500-700 range, each).

WOW  -  how did you get all of that out of that little statement 
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,068 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think anyone disputes with that. 

Quote:

HE400: more dynamic-sounding, laid-back, holographic, extremely clean tight bass, shinier treble

HE500: more extended, smoother, more neutral with a warm tilt, blacker background and more transparent

indeed!

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #3,070 of 22,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg 

HE400: more dynamic-sounding, laid-back, holographic, extremely clean tight bass, shinier treble

HE500: more extended, smoother, more neutral with a warm tilt, blacker background and more transparent

I don't know where the difference between "slam" and "dynamic" lies, but the 500s definitely has more of the former with the SA-31.

I mostly agree with the rest, except I wouldn't call the 400s "laid-back" due to their shinier treble, actually. Maybe the dark signature?

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3,071 of 22,116
Quote:
I wish that I was able to attend meets and try out new stuff. Nothing ever around Atlanta. 
frown.gif

Have you considered moving?  While I'm probably only about 550 miles from you, it was 27(F) when I cleared the windows on my car.  I'm sure the Atlanta climate might be more my speed.

On the other hand, if it came down to me choosing between headphone meets, or having those ultimate headphone stores like they have overseas, I'd take the headphone shop:

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,072 of 22,116
Quote:
So, I spent 1 hour listening to vocals with the HE-400 yesterday.

I stand by my first impression: the sound is dull with male vocals (especially lower registers like Leonard Cohen). The recess in the mids (right after the lower-mids region, I suppose) make the overall voice lack clarity.

Fascinating. My impressions (with male vocals in particular) are exactly the opposite of yours. I spent a few hours myself A/B ing the he-400 and he-500 and Lenard Cohen sounds absolutely, unequivocally amazing, and in no way does he or any other male with a commanding voice sound in the least bit dull. It's the same with Nick Cave, Beck, Brenden Parry (Dead Can Dance fame), Lou Reed, Danzig, Tom Waits, and even Andrew Bird and Tom Yorke. All these guys to varying degrees sound fully realized, alive, nuanced and crackling with energy--and that's a wide rage of male voices too. And yes, the he-400, to my ears at least, genuinely outperforms the he-500 with regard to most male vocalist but falls far short with female vocalist almost every time. Now maybe my gear isn't expensive enough to tease out the differences in the low and mid-low frequencies between theses headphones, but I do have 3 amps: the fiio e9, the Little Dot MkIII, and a vintage Kenwood receiver, and none of these amp choices can change the he-400's or he-500's low-end and low midrange reproduction, especially with male vocalist. Also, (I've mentioned this before) the he-400's sound-stage is more holographic and coherent to my ears.  Now, I'm in no way saying the he-400 is better than the he-500 (it certainly is not), but to my ears, the he-400 excels in a few choice areas, while the he-500 does everything right at the expense of excelling in one or two focused areas. Different folks, different ears, I guess, but the disparity between our impressions is rather dramatic. Maybe I have a special he-400 after all. (I still have my rev 3 btw
atsmile.gif
) Or maybe this is just another headphone mystery. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,074 of 22,116
Quote:
IIRC, one fellow head-fier here owns (or owned) 3 pairs of this headphone, all 3 sounded different...

That's really too bad!  I really hate the headphone lottery that some headphone companies force you to play (Cough--Beyerdynamic--cough), but it looks like HiFiman may have some quality control issues too. Oh well. Nice comparing notes with you though. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,075 of 22,116
Quote:
Now maybe my gear isn't expensive enough to tease out the differences in the low and mid-low frequencies between theses headphones, but I do have 3 amps: the fiio e9, the Little Dot MkIII, and a vintage Kenwood receiver, and none of these amp choices can change the he-400's or he-500's low-end and low midrange reproduction, especially with male vocalist.

I don't know if cost is important but power is, especially for the HE-500. Now that the Gugni is out, powerfull and cheap seem to be possible nowadays.

I don't know about the Kenwood but the Little Dot is too weak for the HE-500. The Fiio has more than adequate power but its output impedance might not be adequate for the low impedance orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back