**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,016 of 22,116
My thoughts exactly. I'm kind of over amp and dacs (so samey to me), and would probably be happy downgrading to just the Modi/Magni, and recuperate some cash by selling the SA-31 and ODAC. Then I can focus on what really brings changes, the headphones.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #3,017 of 22,116
Quote:
Sweet baby Jesus. That and the Modi. I want them. NOW.
These devices cant be ignored. Looks like Schiit heard all that smack talk by the O2 crowd, and made this specifically to combat it.
Not sure on the Modi, but I may just end up with both... but Magni comes first. Time to put my E17 up for sale...again. If I ever need the portability, I may end up buying it for the 3rd time. Itd be nice to keep the Magni next to my gaming setup to help power my Mixamp. The SA-31 is too big, and too stationary for that.

Quote:
LOL. I also re bought the E17 and sold it various times.
It's pretty great, until you obtain more expensive gear waiting for you at home and brush off leaving the premises.

I thought I was the only moron to sell the e17 three times. That thing has been like a boomerang for me!!

Fortunately, I just sold it again last week so now I can buy the new little schitt stack. Perfect bedroom setup. Guess I'd need my laptop as though. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,018 of 22,116
Change your sig, dangit! :mad:

I may end up selling the ODAC very soon too, depending on how well the Modi stacks up. I frankly don't hear almost anything worth noting between the ODAC, NFB5, and E17, as well as the very lowly Fiio D3 (other than the D3 crapping out on me soon after comparing). So as long as a DAC isn't pure crap, they all sound so very much the same to me. I don't even need the Modi, but the Magni looks sad alone without it's sibling. If it's even within a hair close to the ODAC, the ODAC is gone. Don't need two USB DACs, and the ODAC doesn't exactly fit with my setup. I mean, it's well hidden...

In any case, the Modi/Magni are mine. The SA-31 is gonna be a little harder to give up, but I just might. That X1 or K702 65th are just screaming at me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3,020 of 22,116
It's more as an alternate use. The HE400 isn't the best for gaming, and they're finicky when using them while laying down. Just a little bit of my pillow covering them really affects SQ. I play a lot while laying down, which is a double hit against the HE400.

The new K702 65th Anniversary seems to be getting glowing reviews and praise over the older AKGs, so I really wanna try them.

Then there's the Philips Fidelio X1, which is considered to be like a mix between the HD650 and something more lively, which sounds like something I really wanna try. A bassy, open headphone is rare 'round these parts, and I can only buy the DT990 SO many times (I've owned... 6 or was it 7?)

I'm leaning on the X1, but Philips is being real shady to America right now. Only one place has them in stock, and it's a bit too expensive ($420), when the UK has been getting them for the equivalent of $300-350.

The HD650 is a perfect alternative to the HE400, but I REALLY wanna try something new. If all else fails, I will be getting the HD650 again and calling it a day. That is, unless someone magically makes a D7000 equivalent with velours.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3,022 of 22,116
Lol, I DO love it for gaming. I just meant, they can be better, objectively. They're somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of positioning and soundstage.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #3,023 of 22,116
My main problem with other amps i saw around is the fact they are not really portable (meaning need a socket wall). Ireally want to "be able" to run my HE-400 on a car or on a beach if i choose to.

In a way, i should be able to carry my laptop headset and a "kinda" portable amp with me, but you cant do that sometimes.
Any portable amps that are better than Fiio E17 and are not a 3 times the price of the E17? I ask cus i wanted to pair the E9 with the E17 later on, but i heard on a review that the E17 looses qualit y if paired with a E9...

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,024 of 22,116
That was one guy. I definitely do not agree with him. I felt the E17 and E9K was a stellar combo for the price.

No reason why you shouldn't look into the E17 if you need portability. If I had a laptop, I'd keep the E17, no question.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,025 of 22,116
Wow, should be hard to go back to a K702 after hearing such lovely planars!

I - honestly - tried to listen to my K601 again but I stopped after few minutes, it's a no-go :D

I still use my Q701's from time to time even after hearing the HE-400. It's mid/treble isn't enough, so the 701 has to sub in sometimes. However the AKG's are fatiguing at loud volumes and distances vocals more than they should.

It most likely will be replaced with the HE-500 coming in. the HD-650 is scared schiit-less right now.

That was one guy. I definitely do not agree with him. I felt the E17 and E9K was a stellar combo for the price.
No reason why you shouldn't look into the E17 if you need portability. If I had a laptop, I'd keep the E17, no question.

I agree with Mad Lust, I recommend the E17 if you have a Laptop. However, i only recommend pairing it with the E9 if you have a desktop.
If desktop becomes the case, i'd pick the Schiit stack over the Fiio combo.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3,027 of 22,116
I doubt many of the HE400 owners have heard the relatively new and prohibitively expensive K702/65 (compared to the Q701 and older K702s), but if the new K702/65 is remotely similar to the old ones, I'd go for the HE400s everytime. They are just more musical, warm, and engaging to me. The bass is fantastic, which was always something I missed on the old K701 and Q701 I owned. However, I'm looking into the K702/65 as a compliment to the HE400, as I know it's better for gaming, which is a major importance to me (obviously), and should have better mids than the HE400. So basically a balanced headphone to compliment the more fun signature of the HE400.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,028 of 22,116
I doubt many of the HE400 owners have heard the relatively new and prohibitively expensive K702/65 (compared to the Q701 and older K702s), but if the new K702/65 is remotely similar to the old ones, I'd go for the HE400s everytime. They are just more musical, warm, and engaging to me. The bass is fantastic, which was always something I missed on the old K701 and Q701 I owned. However, I'm looking into the K702/65 as a compliment to the HE400, as I know it's better for gaming, which is a major importance to me (obviously), and should have better mids than the HE400. So basically a balanced headphone to compliment the more fun signature of the HE400.

I've not heard of the new one yet, but just like you, i would also pick the HE-400 over the AKG's.
Didn't really miss the bass though, the Ultrasone HFI-2400 had better bass > AKG., HE-400 had more punchy extended bass (not better for some people)

The AKG Q701 does good for gaming though, but sometimes distances the mids a little so it's hard to find enemy placement. Perhaps better with surround sound software would help.

Q701 without a doubt has better mids than the HE-400, however the HE-400 is more engaging and full. With it's fast pace planars it kills most dynamics that i have heard.
Can't wait for the smooth mid HE-500 to come in and kill the Q701's.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3,029 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised there is no optical option. Schitt has not been fond of USB in the past.

Schiit's async implementation on the Gungnir is really good. Many say they can't hear the difference between USB and optical. I'm sure they were also trying to keep costs down.

If they can't hear a difference between Asynchronous USB and Optical, then the Asynchronous USB implementation is really bad.   More likely they don't know what to listen for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back