**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #21,541 of 22,116
Definitely will! HE-400 have somehow really big sounding and wide soundstage, aswell really lush and warm signature and I don't find any frequencys sibilant with my TAGA-Harmony THDA-500T DAC/amp. Indeed really pleasant phones to listen.

Yes, the he-400s are incredible in the soundstage department probably one of the best I heard. Especially for headphone that isn't fatigueing in the trebble area.
Although I heard an hd800s about a week ago and that probably beats it although I only had 10 min with it so not a proper teat (but that price difference not realy a fair comparison).

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #21,542 of 22,116
Some albums I had always thought to have poor mastering as they sound kind of thin and lifeless when compared to better masters, HE-400s seem to breath new life to those albums with its wide big soundstage and warm signature. Magic!

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #21,543 of 22,116
About soundstage. That was unexpected - no matter which song - HE400´s soundstage seems to be noticeably more open/bigger/wider than HD700´s. What the..? Switching between HD700 and HE400, Senns sound congested like closed can (and more dry, shallow bass).  However, I find HD700´s to sound more natural compared to HE400 (still like them more). HE400 surprised me a lot - awesome bass,  very big soundstage (biggest I´ve heard), good mids (I was expecting very subdued mids) and I paid only $170 (with Venus Audio cable)!!  

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #21,544 of 22,116
About soundstage. That was unexpected - no matter which song - HE400´s soundstage seems to be noticeably more open/bigger/wider than HD700´s. What the..? Switching between HD700 and HE400, Senns sound congested like closed can (and more dry, shallow bass).  However, I find HD700´s to sound more natural compared to HE400 (still like them more). HE400 surprised me a lot - awesome bass,  very big soundstage (biggest I´ve heard), good mids (I was expecting very subdued mids) and I paid only $170 (with Venus Audio cable)!!  

Glad your enjoying them, that was a great a deal you got there. These may not be the most accurate cans, but they easily one of the most unique (there are mods that should help a bit to improve sound accuracy aswell)

What are you driving them with btw?

Good listening.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #21,545 of 22,116
I read from earlier posts that Shure SRH1840 pads fit to HE-400 so I took my SRH1440 spare pads as they are identical and tried to fit them to plastic rings and they really do fit perfectly. Such a pleasant surprise because Shure pads are so much more comfortable because they are way softer than HE-400 velours. I don't hear impact in sound and comfort is now improved so pads will stay.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #21,546 of 22,116
  I read from earlier posts that Shure SRH1840 pads fit to HE-400 so I took my SRH1440 spare pads as they are identical and tried to fit them to plastic rings and they really do fit perfectly. Such a pleasant surprise because Shure pads are so much more comfortable because they are way softer than HE-400 velours. I don't hear impact in sound and comfort is now improved so pads will stay.

If you were already using the velours switching them to other pads with the same material (velour) shouldn't impact the sound very much.
But as you said the HiFiman velours and relay tough on the ears, glad you found something you enjoy.
BTW there are a ton of ear pads that will fit on the HE-400; pretty much any fully size circumaural ear pad will fit (with a bit of work).

Good listening 
beyersmile.png

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #21,547 of 22,116
  If you were already using the velours switching them to other pads with the same material (velour) shouldn't impact the sound very much.
But as you said the HiFiman velours and relay tough on the ears, glad you found something you enjoy.
BTW there are a ton of ear pads that will fit on the HE-400; pretty much any fully size circumaural ear pad will fit (with a bit of work).

Yes sound impacts are minor as long seal is not a factor as on open cans, closed are different matter. Probably many pads will work on HE-400 and that's good because original HE-400 pads are indeed quite tough, although I already got used to them but Shure pads are still a bliss in comparison
biggrin.gif
. Now just a bit more padding to headband and these phones are really comfortable
dt880smile.png

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #21,548 of 22,116
  Yes sound impacts are minor as long seal is not a factor as on open cans, closed are different matter. Probably many pads will work on HE-400 and that's good because original HE-400 pads are indeed quite tough, although I already got used to them but Shure pads are still a bliss in comparison
biggrin.gif
. Now just a bit more padding to headband and these phones are really comfortable
dt880smile.png

Yeah, although certain pads do make big differences when compared to each other (specifically the when comparing anything against the stock pleathers) (I'm currently using Veg pads btw).

About the head band, there are a ton of mods to adjust the headband, I personally only tried the Sehn headband mod but I didn't enjoy it very much, but take a look on this thread there are many other methods.

Let us know how it turns out.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #21,550 of 22,116
  Nothing too classy, just regular foam sticked to headband with double-sided tape. It's still very comfortable and didn't cost a thing.

Nice it looks great an very comfortable, mind sending me a link to the material you used.
I have been trying to find a good (easy) non permanent method for quite awhile, that I can adjust.
To get just the right fit on my head.

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #21,551 of 22,116
  Nice it looks great an very comfortable, mind sending me a link to the material you used.
I have been trying to find a good (easy) non permanent method for quite awhile, that I can adjust.
To get just the right fit on my head.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry but can't help you with foam material because this foam is just something that came with some product as package cushion. I tend to keep those for future mods. I bet they aren't too hard to find though.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #21,555 of 22,116
  They get stretched a bit to round shape but not completely. Check out my photo from earlier post.

I just realised that the first picture you posted was of the pad already mounted. I initially thought it was just you holding up the pad /facepalm
Time to get some sleep i guess (and possible look into getting new pads). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back