**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #21,527 of 22,116
Anyone remember the name of the member who made the custom pads for 400s way back 2 years or so before ? He had some kind of half man half beast avatar....

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #21,529 of 22,116
Apr 17, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #21,531 of 22,116
Apr 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #21,532 of 22,116
Hey guys, haven't been on in quite awhile.
I just need some help to share my sorrows
frown.gif

The left ear cup has broken of the head band look at the horror

Hehe just exaggerating.
I got in contact with HiFiman customer service and so far everything was great.
I contacted them by email and spoke with Amy and Jane, they just asked me for a copy of my receipt and verified it was under warranty.
After that they asked if I would liek to send it to them for repairs/replacement or they could ship me a head band. 
I shoes to send the headphone to them, so they sent me two addresses one in the US and one in China.
So I called up a courtier checked the rates and found good shipping price to China (Cheaper to send something to China than the US from Dubai) I spent around 15USD on shipping and just sent it out this morning.

So far everything has been going smoothly and the HIFIMAN service seems exceptional.
I will post back after I get my HE-400s back and tested and let you guys know how everything turned out.

Just thought I'd do a mini review on the HiFiMan service since this is the first time I send a headphone back for repairs.
Usually I just get different set of cans if one breaks but I love the HE-400's to much (not to mention they are more expensive than all my other headphones)

Thanks hope this is helpful if you need some repairs.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #21,534 of 22,116
That's a good question.

Well, it appears that it has been broken for a time before I actually noticed anything.
One day I just put the headphones on my head and I noticed some hard material fall on my shoulder and thought it was just something stuck on the headphones that fell down. So I kept using them as normal; then about a week later or so I found my headphones crooked on the table when I put them down. I realized that part of the screw support has broken (looking inside it was the same material that fell on my shoulder about a week ago
eek.gif
) making the head phones go loose. Then a bit after this I got in contact with HIFIMAN and requested that they repair it. But before I actually manged to send it out the second screw which was holding the ear cup on fell off and the ear cup popped off when I tried putting it on my head. That's about the jist of it. 

PS
I am using currently my Ostry KC06A in-ears as a substitute till I get my HE-400's back, I set the gain to -18 on my Gustard H10 and I can still only turn the volume up to around 5-15%. It sound pretty good though, not bad at all especially for a 50 dollar earphone.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #21,536 of 22,116
Thanks for sharing, sounds like metal fatigue of the screws or over tightening.  How long will the repair process take? 

Np thanks.
Im not sure how long the service will take.

About the screws, it was not exactlt metal fatigue, if you look at the previous picture of the ear cup you will see a weird material under where the height adjuster is. It is a kind of hard plaster or so thing that the screws, screw into, and the plaster kinda just broke in half.
Best way I can explain it.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #21,538 of 22,116
I've spent now a full week with HE-400, and I gotta say they are probably most pleasant sounding phones I've heard. Very happy of my purchase! Got also velour pads and Forza AudioWorks cable with headphones.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #21,540 of 22,116
  @ilmothedude, hope you continue to enjoy your HE-400 like the many of us on this thread have

Definitely will! HE-400 have somehow really big sounding and wide soundstage, aswell really lush and warm signature and I don't find any frequencys sibilant with my TAGA-Harmony THDA-500T DAC/amp. Indeed really pleasant phones to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back