**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #21,513 of 22,116
Is there an aggregated list of HE-400 mods somewhere? I'm ready to regrill but also wanted to look more in to using sorbothane or wasn't there some mod using thin silk, remember seeing something about that.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #21,514 of 22,116
  Is there an aggregated list of HE-400 mods somewhere? I'm ready to regrill but also wanted to look more in to using sorbothane or wasn't there some mod using thin silk, remember seeing something about that.

There were a few that tried the sorbothane and I used the silk organza on the back side of the new grills to keep most dust and hair out.  You could also try dynamat in the cups.

As for a list of mods, the only one that I've seen is the HE-500 mods and the HE-560 mods

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #21,515 of 22,116

Here's a list of a few -

Open grill mod
Vegan pads
Lohb suspension headband pad
Blutack mod (remove driver, put thin layer of blutack around it to seal the driver for improved bass)
Sorbothane
Felt mod for the Vegan pads to reduce reflections

Same mods apply to the HE-500 and HE-6

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #21,516 of 22,116

Here's a list of a few -

Open grill mod
Vegan pads
Lohb suspension headband pad
Blutack mod (remove driver, put thin layer of blutack around it to seal the driver for improved bass)
Sorbothane
Felt mod for the Vegan pads to reduce reflections

Same mods apply to the HE-500 and HE-6

Add the Pleather pad mod (Jergpad) for those who want an improvement but also to save money.
Velour pad swap counts as a mod to me
biggrin.gif

I am 99% sure the open grill mod is completely useless - unless you like the look.
Blu-Tak mod is interesting - does that stuff come off easily?

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #21,517 of 22,116

Add the Pleather pad mod (Jergpad) for those who want an improvement but also to save money.
Velour pad swap counts as a mod to me
biggrin.gif

I am 99% sure the open grill mod is completely useless - unless you like the look.
Blu-Tak mod is interesting - does that stuff come off easily?

Blutack is easily removed, yes.

Open grill mod - did an A/B on my HE-6 and HE-400 before I removed the grill and much prefer the sound.  Not useless to most who have tried it. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #21,518 of 22,116
When one inspects the diaphragm of a second hand pair of one of these planar headphones, what does one need to watch out for. I just took of the ear-pads on mine, and notice very slight ripples here and there on the diaphragm. How tight and flat is the diaphragm supposed to look like inside the headphone?

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #21,519 of 22,116
  When one inspects the diaphragm of a second hand pair of one of these planar headphones, what does one need to watch out for. I just took of the ear-pads on mine, and notice very slight ripples here and there on the diaphragm. How tight and flat is the diaphragm supposed to look like inside the headphone?

Mine are flat with no ripples that I can see:

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #21,521 of 22,116
Mine are flat with no ripples that I can see:

Thanks for taking a pic. On first glance mine look flat as well but around the yellow connector(clip thats holding it in place) are slight ripples. The overall diaphragm looks flat but when I shine a flashlight on it I do see ever so slight ripples here and there. Also, do we have the Rev.4 edition?

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #21,522 of 22,116
 Thanks for taking a pic. On first glance mine look flat as well but around the yellow connector(clip thats holding it in place) are slight ripples. The overall diaphragm looks flat but when I shine a flashlight on it I do see ever so slight ripples here and there. Also, do we have the Rev.4 edition?

I don't think its anything to worry about, my HE-400i and HE-560 have very fine ripples also.

Mine is a Rev 4 and yours looks the same

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #21,523 of 22,116
I don't think its anything to worry about, my HE-400i and HE-560 have very fine ripples also.

Mine is a Rev 4 and yours looks the same
Yea I don't suspect the micro ripples to be problematic as the HE-400 is just a beast of a headphone. They sound like engame(fun) cans to me. Is your HE-560 an end game analyctical(balanced) headphone to you?

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #21,524 of 22,116
The HE-560 is not end game and I don't think I would call any headphone end game except for maybe Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1060.  I like many different headphones for their own unique sound signature.  If you check my profile you can see what I currently have

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #21,525 of 22,116
  The HE-560 is not end game and I don't think I would call any headphone end game except for maybe Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1060.  I like many different headphones for their own unique sound signature.  If you check my profile you can see what I currently have

Hey DavidA, we talked before remember :wink: (few pages back). Yes that's what makes this headphone hobby so great, because
each headphone has such a distinct personality. My most balanced headphone so far I believe is the DT770 600ohm premium.
But now I am searching for an open balanced headphone so that airy treble will be present. 
I am already happy with my HE-400, HD-598 and Fostex X00's being the fun cans.
Seems like the HE-560 and HD-600 both seem like solid options that could fill that open & balanced headphone gap. 

Now one is an orthodynamic and the other a dynamic.
I like both sound  styles equally, with the ortho being slightly more addictive, and the dynamic slightly more natural.
Since you own both, what would you recommend getting first and why?
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back