**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #21,571 of 22,116
My name is kernel8888 and I have a problem... I just bought my 6th (maybe 7th) pair of he-400's. I keep selling them to try other stuff! I'm keeping these ones. No matter what.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #21,573 of 22,116
  I have read conflicting reports on whether a high output impedance would have an effect for planarmagnetic headphones.

The conflicting opinion about the 1/8 rule not holding for planars is that some claim damping factor is not a huge factor in planars since they are resistive load, but others retort that planars still have mass and resonance regardless. As to which side is more true I do not have the knowledge to say so. However, planar or not, a high amp output impedance used with a low input impedance should result in a higher loss in voltage or power. This would seem especially bad for planars, since they are known to be more power-hungry.

That's all I know, someone with expertise on the matter (and perhaps who owns the Schiit amps in question) will have to continue from here.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #21,574 of 22,116
  Does anyone know how a Schiit Vahalla would compare to a Schiit Magni for this headphone?(both original version)

I have read conflicting reports on whether a high output impedance would have an effect for planarmagnetic headphones.

The higher output impedance will have an effect on the headphone, the bass will get a little muddy/loose and the highs will get rolled off a little.  I tried changing the output impedance of my Ember from 0.1 to 120, quite a noticeable difference.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #21,575 of 22,116
In general I don't see how high output impedance is helpful / good - it kills power output and risks drastic change in response from speakers with impedance swings.

I'd expect Planars to generally behave better, but as DavidA said, I guess muddy bass and rolled highs. Maybe that translates to "musical" to some.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #21,576 of 22,116
  In general I don't see how high output impedance is helpful / good - it kills power output and risks drastic change in response from speakers with impedance swings.

I'd expect Planars to generally behave better, but as DavidA said, I guess muddy bass and rolled highs. Maybe that translates to "musical" to some.

I also tried my RS2e with my BH Crack, the highs are rolled off and are quite smooth, looses some of the Grado signature but for those who are sensitive to highs it can make them listenable.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #21,577 of 22,116
Ok I just bought a spare HE-400 with Toxic Scorpion cables for 325 euro's, so I just removed the grills on my current HE-400 and all sound issues are basically adressed. Slightly more open sounding, slightly less sibilant, better timbre, slightly cleaner and tighter sounding as well. 

Will post impressions of the Toxic Scorpion cable here as well; I am interested in knowing if I bought snake oil :')

May 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #21,578 of 22,116
I have just noticed something with my Rev.2 HE-400. Ever since I bought them second-hand, it has been subtle, but I have noticed the right channel was ever so slightly quieter. I was looking at them today and noticed a wrinkle in the diaphragm. I proceeded to loosen a few of the screws around the wrinkle and it has gone away. As far as I can tell, they sound more even.

May 2, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #21,579 of 22,116
I have just noticed something with my Rev.2 HE-400. Ever since I bought them second-hand, it has been subtle, but I have noticed the right channel was ever so slightly quieter. I was looking at them today and noticed a wrinkle in the diaphragm. I proceeded to loosen a few of the screws around the wrinkle and it has gone away. As far as I can tell, they sound more even.

Interesting, just make sure and swich reverse the headset and test as well. You can test on your amp aswell just switch the cables if you can.
Cause I used to think i had that issue with several headphones but it was just small issue with my right ear for awhile (all fine now).

Good listening.

May 4, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #21,580 of 22,116
I just recently got a pair of these and I was wondering what pads would help tame the sibilant treble without losing bass quality and quantity. Extra comfort would be a major plus. It seems there is not a lot of hard data on pad rolling for these headphones and from searching the thread there seems to not be a general consensus on how various pads change the sound. I read in one post how alpha pads would tame sibilance and another post saying it made it worse. I am currently using the stock pleather pads.

May 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #21,581 of 22,116
pretty sure audeze vegan pads are the "make the treble less sibilant" pads. I haven't tried them myself though

May 4, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #21,582 of 22,116
I just recently got a pair of these and I was wondering what pads would help tame the sibilant treble without losing bass quality and quantity. Extra comfort would be a major plus. It seems there is not a lot of hard data on pad rolling for these headphones and from searching the thread there seems to not be a general consensus on how various pads change the sound. I read in one post how alpha pads would tame sibilance and another post saying it made it worse. I am currently using the stock pleather pads.
Pretty sure REV 3/4 are pretty non sibilant(on most recordings)

May 5, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #21,583 of 22,116
pretty sure audeze vegan pads are the "make the treble less sibilant" pads. I haven't tried them myself though

This x1000

Reduces the edge, and actually adds bass

The shortcoming of this, is that the added sense of sound depth pushes some things further away in the sound spectrum. I got used to it though.

May 5, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #21,584 of 22,116

I would start with the velour pads from Hifiman, these will get you some comfort and you will need the rings from them if you want to do additional pad changing.

Best pads for comfort that I tried are SHR-1840 pads, had a spare set that came with the SRH-1840, very comfortable but because it brought the driver closer to my ears the highs got a little harsh.

Currently using Focus pads, best compromise between comfort and sound for me.

May 5, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #21,585 of 22,116
Focus pads are definitely a good alternattive, and I feel sound better than the vegans, but not as comfy or bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back