**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #20,641 of 22,116

Both are very good with the 400, the Ember ​is better (to my ears).

Never heard a Polaris the Ember is really good with the HE-400 IMO, next would be a Lyr2.  I've tried a LD 1+ and LD MkIII, the LD1+ is not bad for the price but not in the same level of the Ember and the MKIII is really only for high impedance headphones like the HD-650, didn't work well with HD-400.

what do you like more about the ember? that's kind of a let down i was wanting the polaris to be better for them, i really don't want to replace my ld1 already 

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #20,642 of 22,116
what do you like more about the ember? that's kind of a let down i was wanting the polaris to be better for them, i really don't want to replace my ld1 already 

The Polaris is a really decent sounding SS amp, that being said, the tube in the path of the Ember gives it that bit of warm sound to tame the treble peak of the 400 and plenty of power for the "meat on the bones" sound.

To be honest with you, I have owned/own all of the amps you mentioned, if you heard the ember with the 400, I would expect you Little dot to be in the classified section shortly.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #20,643 of 22,116
So guys, I did the sorbothane mod. I bought Isolate IT: Sorbothane Vibration Isolation Square Pad 1/10" Thick 1/2" x 1/2" 50 Duro with 3M PSA - 36 Pack from Amazon. Was not expecting for it to arrive before the weekend but prime shipping it awesome. 

I cut the squares in half and then I lined the inside of the HE-400. Still looks stock when the grill is placed. I don't have any other mods.

WOW!!!!!

The 1st and most noticeable difference is that the highs are much tamer and I think they're just right now. For example, the hi hat cymbals went from chizzzzz to chizz (from 5 z to just 2 z). In other words, the decay is much faster. That means that from highs to lows, everything is much tighter. The bass is like Alessandra Ambrosio's behind; tight. So now the mids are a lot clearer and apparent. 

Seriously folks, if you haven't tried this mod, do it. I can't believe the difference. The separation is insane and there is much better balance from high to low. I actually have an ad in the classifieds right now because I was getting tired of the he400, just a little fatiguing. I'm gonna take down the ad now. Unbelievably awesome. 

Edit: I didn't left them exposed. I covered with the grill.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #20,644 of 22,116
So guys, I did the sorbothane mod. I bought Isolate IT: Sorbothane Vibration Isolation Square Pad 1/10" Thick 1/2" x 1/2" 50 Duro with 3M PSA - 36 Pack from Amazon. Was not expecting for it to arrive before the weekend but prime shipping it awesome. 

I cut the squares in half and then I lined the inside of the HE-400. Still looks stock when the grill is placed. I don't have any other mods.

WOW!!!!!

The 1st and most noticeable difference is that the highs are much tamer and I think they're just right now. For example, the hi hat cymbals went from chizzzzz to chizz (from 5 z to just 2 z). In other words, the decay is much faster. That means that from highs to lows, everything is much tighter. The bass is like Alessandra Ambrosio's behind; tight. So now the mids are a lot clearer and apparent. 

Seriously folks, if you haven't tried this mod, do it. I can't believe the difference. The separation is insane and there is much better balance from high to low. I actually have an ad in the classifieds right now because I was getting tired of the he400, just a little fatiguing. I'm gonna take down the ad now. Unbelievably awesome. 

Nice, do you think it could also be because you've remove the grill as well? I too found them quite fatiguing, which is why I sold my modified pair a long time ago :/

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #20,646 of 22,116

I put the grill back. It's not left exposed.

grill mod do not transform the he 400..... The sorbothane mod transform it in high end headphone....
atsmile.gif

report your experience on the thread for others to know....
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #20,647 of 22,116

As I said the LD1+ is good for the price but with the Ember I get a sound that is more dynamic, a little better soundstage and most important is the ability to change the output impedance to better match it with different headphones.  The other is the ability to roll many different families of tubes with the Ember and I can also use most of these tubes with my BH Crack.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #20,649 of 22,116
  I kinda want to do that mod now, but I'm guessing it will void the warranty.

Lol, what's a warranty on headphones? hahaha

Imo, large headphone don't really need warranty, and even if something breaks, hifiman is very open to sell parts to you if needed. I've gotten a few housing and headbands from them in the past.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #20,651 of 22,116

grill mod do not transform the he 400..... The sorbothane mod transform it in high end headphone....
atsmile.gif

report your experience on the thread for others to know....
smile.gif

I've never been one to mod my headphones. I appreciate that different makers have different ideas of good sound and they probably have a lot more knowledge than I do in engineering and acoustic terms. That said, maybe damping has been an oversight? 

My experience with damping the HE-400 has opened my eyes. The difference is not subtle, it's jaw dropping. Don't get me wrong, it has not changed the sound signature or character of the HE-400. It is still quick, energetic and fun. What the damping did was to make it clean. It's almost like surgical cleansing; you just killed all the germs. In this case, unwanted noise is eliminated. Look, i'm not an engineer. So I can't quantify it for you and I have no desire to. I'm a musician and when I listen to a damped HE-400, i'm marveled by how clean and well defined the sound is now. 

Speaking of well defined sound, much of that I feel is due to the increased rate of decay. There is just the right amount of space now between sounds. It was just slightly bleeding over before, in the highs especially. I think that did a lot to cover up the mids. Now that the dust has been wiped off the window, I can see clearly. 

The other thing that is apparent is how much heftier the sound is, not that it was anorexic before but it just has a little more weight to the sound. To me, it's like the difference between bouncing a volleyball and a basketball. One's a little denser, weightier and bounces better. The bounce sounds better too. I think the weight is more proportioned to the speed of the attack. Ping pong balls are now golf balls. Overall, it just gives a feeling of solidness. It doesn't light up or distort when you push it. As susceptible to interference. Another way to explain it is like having a bad or good tripod. The good tripod doesn't transfer the vibration to the camera, so you can take longer exposure pictures without worrying that the picture will get too noisy.

Can you overdo the damping? I'm sure. I think we all have to find the right balance for ourselves. I've been listening to all sorts of music and I've been impressed every single time. Lorde, Herbie Hancock, Mahler, Acoustic stuff, Dave Brubeck, Piazzolla, Green Day. I'm in love with the HE-400. I think the driver is competent enough. All it needed was a little fine tuning. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #20,652 of 22,116

I've never been one to mod my headphones. I appreciate that different makers have different ideas of good sound and they probably have a lot more knowledge than I do in engineering and acoustic terms. That said, maybe damping has been an oversight? 

My experience with damping the HE-400 has opened my eyes. The difference is not subtle, it's jaw dropping. Don't get me wrong, it has not changed the sound signature or character of the HE-400. It is still quick, energetic and fun. What the damping did was to make it clean. It's almost like surgical cleansing; you just killed all the germs. In this case, unwanted noise is eliminated. Look, i'm not an engineer. So I can't quantify it for you and I have no desire to. I'm a musician and when I listen to a damped HE-400, i'm marveled by how clean and well defined the sound is now. 

Speaking of well defined sound, much of that I feel is due to the increased rate of decay. There is just the right amount of space now between sounds. It was just slightly bleeding over before, in the highs especially. I think that did a lot to cover up the mids. Now that the dust has been wiped off the window, I can see clearly. 

The other thing that is apparent is how much heftier the sound is, not that it was anorexic before but it just has a little more weight to the sound. To me, it's like the difference between bouncing a volleyball and a basketball. One's a little denser, weightier and bounces better. The bounce sounds better too. I think the weight is more proportioned to the speed of the attack. Ping pong balls are now golf balls. Overall, it just gives a feeling of solidness. It doesn't light up or distort when you push it. As susceptible to interference. Another way to explain it is like having a bad or good tripod. The good tripod doesn't transfer the vibration to the camera, so you can take longer exposure pictures without worrying that the picture will get too noisy.

Can you overdo the damping? I'm sure. I think we all have to find the right balance for ourselves. I've been listening to all sorts of music and I've been impressed every single time. Lorde, Herbie Hancock, Mahler, Acoustic stuff, Dave Brubeck, Piazzolla, Green Day. I'm in love with the HE-400. I think the driver is competent enough. All it needed was a little fine tuning. 

your testimony is convergent with mine..... Please post it on the sorbothane mod thread .... thanks for your impression

Damping Mechanical Resonance Distortion of STAX phones with SORBOTHANE: LAMBDAS, SRXIII PRO, SR003, SR00, the SIGMA and various non-STAX

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #20,653 of 22,116

your testimony is convergent with mine..... Please post it on the sorbothane mod thread .... thanks for your impression

Damping Mechanical Resonance Distortion of STAX phones with SORBOTHANE: LAMBDAS, SRXIII PRO, SR003, SR00, the SIGMA and various non-STAX

No problem. My pleasure. I feel like this is a mandatory mod if you are currently using the he-400. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #20,654 of 22,116
Nice work @nabwong. Think I'm going to do what you did. Been interested in the sorbothane mod for awhile, but wasn't too keen on playing with the HE400's aesthetics. Hearing that you lined just the inside with great results is just what I needed.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #20,655 of 22,116

So you lined the inside of the cup - on the outside and the inside? Considering I may never get rid of mine, I may give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back