**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #20,656 of 22,116
Nice work @nabwong. Think I'm going to do what you did. Been interested in the sorbothane mod for awhile, but wasn't too keen on playing with the HE400's aesthetics. Hearing that you lined just the inside with great results is just what I needed.

Good luck man. It's definitely a no-brainer for like $20. You'll have to cut each square in half. I did not put any next to the connectors. Didn't wanna risk accidentally damaging it. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #20,659 of 22,116
  I meant, did you line both the outer portion of the cup, and the earpad side? Sounds like you treated only the outer portion (not the part with earpads).

Yes, I only lined the grill side. I suppose you could do both or idea and report back the findings? haha. Maybe i might to it later but i'm enjoying the way it is right now. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #20,661 of 22,116
I would like to know where I can get female mono 1/8" connectors (the connectors glued into the headphone housing) to replace the stupid Hifiman ones. I've checked eBay, come across a few, but am not sure if they'd be too big/the wrong ones. Could I request a hand? Thanks, guys!

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #20,663 of 22,116

How many out of the 36 square pads (72 if you count each as 2 halves) did you use up in the end?
I've not modded my pair apart from changing earpads and adding head cushion, because the HE-400 is my first headphone of this quality. Didn't want to screw anything up.
But what you've done seems easy enough, plus it's reversible and looks unchanged with the grill back on, so I wish to try it out.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #20,664 of 22,116

How many out of the 36 square pads (72 if you count each as 2 halves) did you use up in the end?
I've not modded my pair apart from changing earpads and adding head cushion, because the HE-400 is my first headphone of this quality. Didn't want to screw anything up.
But what you've done seems easy enough, plus it's reversible and looks unchanged with the grill back on, so I wish to try it out.

Just for you! I counted 15 halves (after cut). :)

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #20,666 of 22,116
Can anyone comment on the differences between the HE-400 and HE-400s soundwise? Is the HE-400s considered an upgrade or is it identical but at a lower price point then the original?

different sound signatures. the he-400 has more linear bass extension & more overall coloration imo. Upper mid recession & a few a pronounced treble spikes. I didn't think the HE-400's coloration was unpleasant & I greatly enjoyed its tuning, but ymmv. the he-400s has more overall balanced sound signature, but not the same level of sub-bass extension as the old HE-400.

the he-400s does have easier to use 2.5mm connectors instead of the hex screw connectors of the HE-400. Also the HE-400s has the more light weight design with the suspension headstrap. Old HE-400 a bit hefty.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #20,667 of 22,116
  different sound signatures. the he-400 has more linear bass extension & more overall coloration imo. Upper mid recession & a few a pronounced treble spikes. I didn't think the HE-400's coloration was unpleasant & I greatly enjoyed its tuning, but ymmv. the he-400s has more overall balanced sound signature, but not the same level of sub-bass extension as the old HE-400.

the he-400s does have easier to use 2.5mm connectors instead of the hex screw connectors of the HE-400. Also the HE-400s has the more light weight design with the suspension headstrap. Old HE-400 a bit hefty.

I'd like to try the 400s - they certainly measure better in terms of distortion and ringing. Then again, Innerfidelity has not measure the HE-400 with velours / modded pads, and I'd expect to see some improvements here and there. The "bass rolloff" of the 400S is not ideal, but since the level is still up at about 40 hz, I'd assume that they don't leave much bass out vis a vis the HE-400s. Does anyone know if they are single-sided or double-sided planars?

When I get through reviewing my shiny new PSB M4U1's I'm going to try to "harmon curve" the HE-400s with EQ tweaks. It is so obvious that they are missing the 3.5 khz bump and slight treble roll-off that may be needed, as well as a slight bass boost. They may have a reputation for "hot treble", but the quality of treble pales compared to the PSBs, which have wonderful air but like most headphones seem to lack treble extension. I thought the PSBs were a little uncomfortable yet I've been wearing them for about an hour today and all is well so far.

Since my warranty is up on the HE-400 and my interest waning a bit given how good the PSB's are, I think I may add some sorbothane as well, and see what happens! I just hope the added damping does not over dampen the sound or darken it.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #20,670 of 22,116
I just realized that the number is the same cut or not cut. The cut is just so that you can close the grill as it'd be too thick otherwise. Good luck.

What made you decide to use one with 50 duro? I see another listing that has the same dimensions but 30 duro. Perhaps there's other values too. Anyway, how would a higher or lower duro affect the sound or dampening in theory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back