**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #20,671 of 22,116

What made you decide to use one with 50 duro? I see another listing that has the same dimensions but 30 duro. Perhaps there's other values too. Anyway, how would a higher or lower duro affect the sound or dampening in theory?

I suppose that a higher duro has a higher damping ratio? I'm a musician, not an engineer so I'm not 100% positive. But here's what I was thinking. Chewing gum is 20 duro. 30 duro seem awfully close to chewing gum. I don't want that. I'll buy the 50 duro. lol. Hope this helps. I'm sure a smarter person can explain this further. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #20,672 of 22,116

I suppose that a higher duro has a higher damping ratio? I'm a musician, not an engineer so I'm not 100% positive. But here's what I was thinking. Chewing gum is 20 duro. 30 duro seem awfully close to chewing gum. I don't want that. I'll buy the 50 duro. lol. Hope this helps. I'm sure a smarter person can explain this further. 

Yea that's what I'm thinking too. Wondering if there would be "too much" though.

I was looking through a few boards regarding this, and came across one in which someone was recommending 30 duro, saying that softer is better. Then again, they were using sorbothane to support their speaker box and not inside a headphone cup, so things might be different. Here's hoping for someone with knowledge on this.

I apologise for being off-topic.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #20,673 of 22,116
I'd like to try the 400s - they certainly measure better in terms of distortion and ringing. Then again, Innerfidelity has not measure the HE-400 with velours / modded pads, and I'd expect to see some improvements here and there. The "bass rolloff" of the 400S is not ideal, but since the level is still up at about 40 hz, I'd assume that they don't leave much bass out vis a vis the HE-400s. Does anyone know if they are single-sided or double-sided planars?

When I get through reviewing my shiny new PSB M4U1's I'm going to try to "harmon curve" the HE-400s with EQ tweaks. It is so obvious that they are missing the 3.5 khz bump and slight treble roll-off that may be needed, as well as a slight bass boost. They may have a reputation for "hot treble", but the quality of treble pales compared to the PSBs, which have wonderful air but like most headphones seem to lack treble extension. I thought the PSBs were a little uncomfortable yet I've been wearing them for about an hour today and all is well so far.

Since my warranty is up on the HE-400 and my interest waning a bit given how good the PSB's are, I think I may add some sorbothane as well, and see what happens! I just hope the added damping does not over dampen the sound or darken it.

HE-400 is double-sided. HE-400s is single-sided magnets.

for the different earpads, I actually ran quite a few measurements & I don't think it really makes a significant difference. (in relative comparison to my measurements of the AKG K553 earpad swaps where the FR curve drastically changes & I feel like the difference was audibly significant)

I think modding is always fun. the perceived sonic differences can vary quite a bit though. Some tweaks make a big difference & others not so much.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #20,674 of 22,116

Yea that's what I'm thinking too. Wondering if there would be "too much" though.

I was looking through a few boards regarding this, and came across one in which someone was recommending 30 duro, saying that softer is better. Then again, they were using sorbothane to support their speaker box and not inside a headphone cup, so things might be different. Here's hoping for someone with knowledge on this.

Well, they're $20. Do both. haha. Or do 30 duro and let's meet up and compare. lol. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #20,675 of 22,116

Well, they're $20. Do both. haha. Or do 30 duro and let's meet up and compare. lol. 

I'm a poor student in Singapore (south east asia). Shipping from amazon costs almost as much as the item itself.
wink.gif

Looking at the sorbothane mod thread, the OP as well as @richard51 seem to recommend 30 duro. More specifically, richard seemed to have used both on his 400 before, and feels that 30 produced better results. (unless i read wrongly, had a long day today). If there's no new information after a couple of days, I'll probably try out 30 duro and post here if I hear any difference.

Edit: There's actually 40 duro on ebay too. A lot cheaper as well for me. In case anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-40D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/252021444105?hash=item3aada60e09
It's uncut, but the area of it seems sufficient based on the number you used. Not sure of the quality / brand though.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #20,676 of 22,116

I'm a poor student in Singapore (south east asia). Shipping from amazon costs almost as much as the item itself.
wink.gif

Looking at the sorbothane mod thread, the OP as well as @richard51 seem to recommend 30 duro. More specifically, richard seemed to have used both on his 400 before, and feels that 30 produced better results. (unless i read wrongly, had a long day today). If there's no new information after a couple of days, I'll probably try out 30 duro and post here if I hear any difference.

Edit: There's actually 40 duro on ebay too. A lot cheaper as well for me. In case anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-3X3x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-40D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-BACKING-/252021444105?hash=item3aada60e09
It's uncut, but the area of it seems sufficient based on the number you used. Not sure of the quality / brand though.

nice find. I'll be in singapore in dec. Will probably not bring the he400 with me. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #20,677 of 22,116

i had 30 duro patches... its necessary to experiment... 40 duro versus 50 duro....my 30 duro patches sound good but i dont have anything now to compare....
atsmile.gif

p.s, i had try some 50  duro patches mixed with 30 duro patches... and i dont have like the result very much...But its necessary to compared only 50 duro patches versus 30 or 40 duro patches....we must remember that the thickness is always important.... My sorb mod are on the exterior side of the he 400... When i had more money i plan to try the 50 duro patches inside ...

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #20,678 of 22,116
  nice find. I'll be in singapore in dec. Will probably not bring the he400 with me. 

enjoy your trip!

i had 30 duro patches... its necessary to experiment... 40 duro versus 50 duro....my 30 duro patches sound good but i dont have anything now to compare....
atsmile.gif

I'll try the 40 duro one from ebay. The price + shipping is like 1/5 of the amazon one for me.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #20,679 of 22,116
for all of you remember to write report and impressions on the dampen sorbothane thread also
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #20,680 of 22,116
very interesting site :

http://www.sorbothane.com/comparision-analysis.aspx

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #20,682 of 22,116

The thing about 30-50 duros, I'm not sure, given the forces we're talking about in headphones, that we'd be able to really hear a difference. I mean, some people may. I don't know if it's a clear difference. 

your point is good... but its interesting to know.... with headphone its necessary to experiment... For now i must wait but i will try 30 duro versus 50 duro only patches....(i like my 30 duro patches  on the exterior of the cups for now ) when i had more money i will made it in the interior ...
atsmile.gif

i think this sorb. mod transform completely the he 400... Youre the first one who said the samething ...But we had 2 duros different on our experience.... That will confused people...Someone must try the two duro grade and report the comparison ...

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #20,683 of 22,116

your point is good... but its interesting to know.... with headphone its necessary to experiment... For now i must wait but i will try 30 duro versus 50 duro only patches....(i like my 30 duro patches  on the exterior of the cups for now ) when i had more money i will made it in the interior ...
atsmile.gif

Definitely let us know the outcome of your experiment. I guess the difference would be directly proportional to the volume of sound. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #20,685 of 22,116
Edit: I didn't left them exposed. I covered with the grill.

Nabwong - you ought to try sticking some sorb on the plastic driver frame, on the sides, top and bottom. I'd be curious as to whether capturing more of the "back wave" would further cut down resonances, or create a more "closed in" sound.

I'm starting to realize that this mod makes some sense - after all, what would a speaker sound like in a round, plastic room? Hardly what anyone would consider ideal.

Any particular reason you used 50 duro rather than a softer 30 duro or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back