**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #20,581 of 22,116
  I totallt get you, since when I listen shortly to a HP, i know very fast what I like about it and what not.
I guess with a car its the same.
But my experience with the NAD and he400 showed me different, there is brain burn in for me, and I need to get used to something before knowing for sure. The gap between my first impressions between these two and my opinion now is so huge, that Im a bit afraid to listen to a HP for a short while and dismiss it because of first impressions. At the beginning the he400 was just WOW, so detailed, warm, crisp highs, fat and deep bass. HP50 first impression was: boring, lifeless

Now the he400 feels artificial to me, with disturbing highs and dry midrange, but still mostly enjoyable
HP50: natural organic feel through all the range, efortless, detailed. warm mids, nice lows.

I owned HP50 previously and really wanted to like it (loved the comfort and the color; red). But everytime I put them on, they would sound lifeless and boring. I think I like bright HPs/speakers and just couldn't go through the brain-burn in process with it. Just bought modded HE-400s and my initial impression is 'Nice'. Highs are smooth and bass is just the right amount. I am sure they will scale very well with better amps. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #20,582 of 22,116
  I owned HP50 previously and really wanted to like it (loved the comfort and the color; red). But everytime I put them on, they would sound lifeless and boring. I think I like bright HPs/speakers and just couldn't go through the brain-burn in process with it. Just bought modded HE-400s and my initial impression is 'Nice'. Highs are smooth and bass is just the right amount. I am sure they will scale very well with better amps. 

I actually didnt went through a lot of brain burn in, meaning to listen to them a lot until i get it, i listened more to the shure and one day simply i re-did some a/b between NAd and he400, while praising the he400 bass on a certain track, on another track while with the hp50 i again praised the bass, then switched to he400, and was suprised to prefer the basses feel of the hp50 with this track, it was more clubby and fatter, not so deep but somehow the he400 bass was lighter on this one. It made me understand the particular difference between the he400 bass and the nads base. Today I still have them all and appreciate them all, although I today mostly listen on the go or in the office, so the he400 gets the least love of all :)

I would invest in the best dac you can, while you need some amplification for the he400, it certainly doesnt need to be very good, they scale well with dacs, not with amps (my opinion). Tried my he400 on: Shozy Alien, DX90, Geek out 720, Aune T1, Geek Pulse, Burson Soloist.... except the first 2 who need full volume in order to get decently loud, the amps didnt make a huge difference. But the Dacs do!

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #20,583 of 22,116
I actually have Yulong D100 which also has a pretty amazing built-in amp. I have it hooked up to little dot i+. I am going to change the jumper setting to high gain as it seems like the headphone sounds much better (even though its only 35ohms) at high gain through my D100 than at lower gain setting on Little dot.

I also have the DAC (one of the best qualities of Yulong is that it has dual pre-outs) to a Marantz SR7000 which is hooked up to my speakers in my home office. Overall, I am quite happy with the performance of my DAC but amplification is something i feel is lacking for HE-400s.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #20,584 of 22,116
the voskhod tubes aren't a great match. liking the yugos a lot more so far, probably gonna order mullards and try those though 

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #20,585 of 22,116
Did somebody made a good comparison between original HE-400 and new HE-400S? They have almost same price and I hesitate which one to buy. Looks like S version has better comfort but what about sound quality?

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #20,586 of 22,116
So i've had my pair for a week now and I am LOVING them! 

I am happy I didn't go with the HD600s because for me the amount of bass these headphones have is the minimum I would like. 
The quantity is limited IMO, but wow, its so accurate and punchy!

I read a lot about people who did not like the high end on this and said it was very piercing, but I have not had that problem with everything I have listened to so far.

I do feel that the mids are a bit recessed for my liking, but overall I like the sound signature. I understand now what people mean when they say the HE-400 has a "fun" sound signature. 

The headphones are super comfortable for me. I've worn them for hours and the pads cause no discomfort for me. They are a bit heavy and my neck does get a bit tired, but I am going to get used to it over time. I don't think I'll be getting new pads until these ones wear out

My Fiio E10 is doing fine driving these. I do have to turn the volume up more than i did with my old V6s, but that was to be expected. I don't think I will be upgrading my amp anytime soon. Might get a tube amp one day....

Things I don't like:

The cable. WHY IS IT SO LONG. I will definitely be getting something else as soon as I can. This one keeps on getting tangled in my rolling chair since most of it is on the ground

I am kinda worried about the build quality. Mainly the connectors on the headphones. I can see my self pulling on them too hard and breaking them. The plastic is also kind cheapish, but I'm guessing metal would have made the headphones super heavy. 

Overall, I am loving these. I think this will be the end of the line for headphones for me(I also said that when I bought my MDR-V6s). I think if I go up from hear, my ears won't be able to tell much of a difference. I am just hoping these last a while. At least 3 years. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #20,587 of 22,116
@fishymamba: I have the HE-400 now for just over a month and as you I really like them.
In the beginning the mids were a bit recessed as well, voices were a bit further away but I'm not sure if it's burning in or adding the
Asgard 2/Modi2Uber combo later, the mids were definitely better and I now see no issues with the mids.
I'm not having any problems with treble either as I somehow always need a bit more treble, but with the HE-400 it's just right
for me. (but I can see it might be troublesome for others).
As for the bass, I read quite some stories about these being bass monsters, but imo thats far from true, it doesn't have a
midbass hump, it's quite flat actually but goes quite deep. When I first heard that it was a strange experience (coming from
a Fidelio X1) and to me it was more pleasing. Being able to hear deep textured bass instead of a full (mostly higer in frequency) bass.
I'm even considering buying a 2nd one in case it's sold out and this one might break down (hope not of course).
Cable is (too) long indeed, I have it wrapped up but it was nice if Hifiman added a smaller cable as well.
The area where I think it's the weakest is the part where the headband is connected to the 2 round things where it says left and right.
No problems yet (knock on wood), but having the chassis of the HE-400i/560 or HE-400s but with the HE-400 cans would
be awesome.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #20,588 of 22,116
Listening now to Genesis Archives (The Lamb Lies down on Broadway live) and Peter's voice is most definitely up front
and those Moog Taurus I bass pedals...talk about deep bass...drool. :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #20,589 of 22,116
Listening now to Genesis Archives (The Lamb Lies down on Broadway live) and Peter's voice is most definitely up front
and those Moog Taurus I bass pedals...talk about deep bass...drool. :)

Awesome selection!

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #20,590 of 22,116
Just come around here to post this HIFIMAN HE400 are very good. Just bought it for 200 bucks with the velour pads. I have a Denon HP700 and sound magic E10. I also have bought a FIIO E17 Alpen 2 to pair with these HIFIMAN's. Just can say the sound is amazing. 

Cheers,

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #20,591 of 22,116
  Just come around here to post this HIFIMAN HE400 are very good. Just bought it for 200 bucks with the velour pads. I have a Denon HP700 and sound magic E10. I also have bought a FIIO E17 Alpen 2 to pair with these HIFIMAN's. Just can say the sound is amazing. 

Cheers,

Same here. Just bought them with Audeze black Vegan pads installed, but also got Focus Pads, Velour and pleather pads (I think these come with them). Not to mention, the inner liner mod along with the grill mod. :)

BTW, can anyone run down their impression on all of these various Pads and mods?

Inner Liner: I suppose these help to warm up the sound and tame down the highs. 
Audeze Black Began Pads - superior comfort, sound?
Focus Pads?
Velour Pads?
Pleather Pads?
Grill mod?

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #20,592 of 22,116
Did somebody made a good comparison between original HE-400 and new HE-400S? They have almost same price and I hesitate which one to buy. Looks like S version has better comfort but what about sound quality?

I haven't seen one yet. I have HE400 and am trying to get HE400S in for testing. If I do, I'll be sure to report back here.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #20,593 of 22,116
  Same here. Just bought them with Audeze black Vegan pads installed, but also got Focus Pads, Velour and pleather pads (I think these come with them). Not to mention, the inner liner mod along with the grill mod. :)

BTW, can anyone run down their impression on all of these various Pads and mods?

Inner Liner: I suppose these help to warm up the sound and tame down the highs. 
Audeze Black Began Pads - superior comfort, sound?
Focus Pads?
Velour Pads?
Pleather Pads?
Grill mod?

Thanks!

I tried all the pads listed and by far the Audeze Vegans and Lambskins were my favorite. 

Have the grill mod as well - that's a must do in my opinion. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #20,594 of 22,116
Do you lose any bass (quantity and/or impact) with the velour or focus pads? please be specific.

Do you lose any bass by changing the grill to a wider mesh?

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #20,595 of 22,116
  Do you lose any bass (quantity and/or impact) with the velour or focus pads? please be specific.

Do you lose any bass by changing the grill to a wider mesh?

No bass lost for me with velour, highs got tamed a little.  With Focus the bass is tighter IMO and highs are about the same, soundstage is a little wider

With grill mod the bass stayed about same, maybe a little faster decay, helps widen soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back