**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 21, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #20,596 of 22,116
okay cool, thanks. I just have a neutral open set already, just want to make sure this one doesn't end up sounding too much like the beyers if I mod it. It's not worth doing any mods for me if the stock bass suffers. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #20,597 of 22,116
No bass lost for me with velour, highs got tamed a little.  With Focus the bass is tighter IMO and highs are about the same, soundstage is a little wider

With grill mod the bass stayed about same, maybe a little faster decay, helps widen soundstage.

^^^ This. I have the grill mod too and had every ear pad from hifiman on them (and my HE-560).

Currently I am using the Brainwavz Memory foam ones, they are a pain to get on (as they are oval and need to be forced to fit) but once they are on, I like the even more tamed treble and lovely bass. Comfort went up a lot as well thanks to their plush and soft feel.

Cheers,
K

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #20,598 of 22,116
^^^ This. I have the grill mod too and had every ear pad from hifiman on them (and my HE-560).

Currently I am using the Brainwavz Memory foam ones, they are a pain to get on (as they are oval and need to be forced to fit) but once they are on, I like the even more tamed treble and lovely bass. Comfort went up a lot as well thanks to their plush and soft feel.

Cheers,
K

Which Brainwavz pads are you using? angled? velour? hybrid? flat? just did a search on amazon and found too many to choose from
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #20,599 of 22,116
Hey guys I'm about to purchase an HE-400S in a few weeks. Any opinions on how it pairs with the Lyr 2?

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #20,600 of 22,116
Which Brainwavz pads are you using? angled? velour? hybrid? flat? just did a search on amazon and found too many to choose from:p

Velour, not angled. Very comfy. Once they are on.

Cheers,
K

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #20,601 of 22,116
Hey guys I'm about to purchase an HE-400S in a few weeks. Any opinions on how it pairs with the Lyr 2?

the lyr 2 will be more than adequate for the he-400s. I currently have a he-400s to play with right now and the lyr 2 is my main desktop amp

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #20,602 of 22,116
Sounds good then! Should I use the low or high gain?

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #20,603 of 22,116
Sounds good then! Should I use the low or high gain?

low gain will be fine for the HE-400S power requirements. you can play with both options & see if you detect any differences or prefer either option, but both setting will provide more than enough power for the HE-400s.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #20,605 of 22,116
Thanks then, I can't wait to fiddle with them and my Q701s.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #20,607 of 22,116
got ya!, what do you think of the angled ones? they look a lot like focus pads.  Also, do you use the ring from a old hifiman ear pad to mount the brainwavz pad?

Yes, they don't come with rings of course, so you will have to use one from old hifiman pads.

I even broke one ring while installing them, it's really a pain to get them on. I like the sound but never checked them back again in a direct comparison because of the above. So take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt. Comfort wise though, I love the result.

They could be even nicer with the angled ones of course. Would be nice to try that....

Cheers,
K

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #20,608 of 22,116
Yes, they don't come with rings of course, so you will have to use one from old hifiman pads.

I even broke one ring while installing them, it's really a pain to get them on. I like the sound but never checked them back again in a direct comparison because of the above. So take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt. Comfort wise though, I love the result.

They could be even nicer with the angled ones of course. Would be nice to try that....

Cheers,
K

okay, got 2 different angled ones on order and will try them out in a few weeks I hope, most of my stuff is in storage right now, living at my friends place for the next few months before moving to new condo under construction.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #20,609 of 22,116

okay, got 2 different angled ones on order and will try them out in a few weeks I hope, most of my stuff is in storage right now, living at my friends place for the next few months before moving to new condo under construction.

And he objects to the 40-odd cans you have being on his coffee-table?? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back