**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #18,796 of 22,116
How was the difference between the 400 and 500 in terms of vocals? Are they 2x better (hence $900 vs $400), or should I say  the price increase is justified?

I didn't pay specific attention to just vocals, but my general comparison of the two would be like most others you see. The 500 has a noticeably less bass presences but it reaches deeper. The trebles aren't as overly bright, leading to mids that are much more defined. The 500 is a much smoother and warmer sounding headphone overall. Like I said, if I could have tested them both out before getting the 400, I would have waited until I could get the 500.

As for price, generally I see the 400 going for $300 new, but lots of used/refurbished/demo pairs can be had for $250 and lower. The 500 seem to sell for $500 new and even down to $400 used. If you like vocals a lot, the 500 would be a better pair being those are mostly in the midrange.

EDIT: Actually, I guess it would depend on what vocals you are interested in the most. A lot of females would reach into the higher frequencies, but most of the vocals I listen to are more in the mid range area.

If you have the coin, I would buy both from amazon, try them thoroughly, and keep the one you like the most. I wish I would have had the opportunity. I do like my 400 and I am glad I had the chance to buy both though. I won't be rushing out to buy the 500 anytime soon.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #18,797 of 22,116
How was the difference between the 400 and 500 in terms of vocals? Are they 2x better (hence $900 vs $400), or should I say  the price increase is justified?

I didn't pay specific attention to just vocals, but my general comparison of the two would be like most others you see. The 500 has a noticeably less bass presences but it reaches deeper. The trebles aren't as overly bright, leading to mids that are much more defined. The 500 is a much smoother and warmer sounding headphone overall. Like I said, if I could have tested them both out before getting the 400, I would have waited until I could get the 500.

As for price, generally I see the 400 going for $300 new, but lots of used/refurbished/demo pairs can be had for $250 and lower. The 500 seem to sell for $500 new and even down to $400 used. If you like vocals a lot, the 500 would be a better pair being those are mostly in the midrange.

EDIT: Actually, I guess it would depend on what vocals you are interested in the most. A lot of females would reach into the higher frequencies, but most of the vocals I listen to are more in the mid range area.

If you have the coin, I would buy both from amazon, try them thoroughly, and keep the one you like the most. I wish I would have had the opportunity. I do like my 400 and I am glad I had the chance to buy both though. I won't be rushing out to buy the 500 anytime soon.

As someone who uses both frequently, I can definitively say the HE500 shreds the HE400 on female vocals (and really any vocals). Vocals are really the HE500's strong suit... You'd be hard pressed to find many headphones that do it better.

Personally, I find the HE400 really excels with different genres, etc. via pad swaps. The velours give them a perfect signature for instrumental jazz. Weather Report's Heavy Weather is jaw-dropping with the HE400 & velours. A swap to the FocusPad adds some nice energy in the upper mids... this, along with their excellent senses of speed and impact makes them a perfect pairing for heavy metal.

IMO, the FocusPad probably gives the HE400 it's best possible vocal presentation because it offers up the most neutral midrange. But whether or not that sound is the best for the HE400 overall... Well, that's still quite controversial.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #18,798 of 22,116

An AMP only would meet your requirement for use with a phone. The Fiio E10k would not be a good fit for that reason alone for it is intended as a DAC/AMP. The DAC piece works using an USB connection (data and power) and device driver with a computer. Think of it as a replacement for your sound card.

If you like the Fiio products, your best bet is the E12 at 880 mWatt @ 32 ohms. They run at $129 USD on Amazon, but I found one on sale for $99 in December from B&H Photo.

Another option is to move to a dedicated portable player with a strong AMP like the Fiio X3 or X5. The X1 isn't going to cut it. I know, I went that route then bought the E12 to push the HE-400 cans.

Anyone else have suggestions for smy1?

Cayin C5 may be the best alternative to the E12....bigger sound-stage more organic sounding than the warmer E12, similar power for juice hungry planars....looking to get one asap as I think it has just cemented itself as the most natural/powerful portable entry-level priced amp on the market.
Add a Bottlehead Quickie if you have a seperate DAC/AMP and that is the treble area spike taken down a notch...another entry-level DAC is the HifimeDIY U2 sabre DAC + USB noise isolator.

I think that combo will be great with 400's....
HifimeDIY U2 sabre DAC + USB noise isolator (circa $100)
Quickie tube pre-amp if you can afford it ($99 or so)
Cayin C5 good for desktop and portable with a phone/DAP. and the U2 on OTG if your phone supports it...nice little mix...$350 for desktop/portable rig.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #18,799 of 22,116
Been using Beyerdynamic earpads with my HE400 for awhile now. It sounds great. Perhaps, a bit of a placebo but I would say they sound better than with Jerg's pads or stock ones. However, I wouldn't like to speculate. This is totally relevant just to my ear. The mod is pretty simple. The HE400 are way more comfortable with BD pads. Beyerdynamic's headband helps too of course. Just throwing it out there...

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #18,800 of 22,116
Has anyone figured out a way to change out/improve the screw in cable connections or are they not as bad some some people make them out to be?

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #18,801 of 22,116
Just ordered a pair of HE-400's, don't think my current Asus Xonar DG will be good enough to power them to their potential. Currently looking at the FiiO e10k, would you guys think that they would pair well together? Can't really afford much more at the current time.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #18,802 of 22,116
  Just ordered a pair of HE-400's, don't think my current Asus Xonar DG will be good enough to power them to their potential. Currently looking at the FiiO e10k, would you guys think that they would pair well together? Can't really afford much more at the current time.

Look into the Schiit Fulla. It's only $80 and it's known to be a great bang for buck usb amp/dac.  Much sound better than the FiiO. There is a comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEFYlfKf8A TL;DW: Fulla has much better sound quality and Fiio has more features.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #18,803 of 22,116
Look into the Schiit Fulla. It's only $80 and it's known to be a great bang for buck usb amp/dac.  Much sound better than the FiiO. There is a comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEFYlfKf8A TL;DW: Fulla has much better sound quality and Fiio has more features.
Thanks so much for the tip! Don't know how I had not heard of it before.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #18,804 of 22,116
The more I use the more I love this cans.

I think that every second our ears get tolerance to the treble peak and the sibilance, so I´m very happy now :)

P.D: I´ve compared to my other HP and is a world of distance in terms of sound quality in every aspect (K550, K701, Grado Sr60i, Shure SRH840, HD598...)

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #18,807 of 22,116
Well...ordered me some HE-400's....here's to hoping they fill the void left by selling my SR325's.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #18,808 of 22,116
  Been using Beyerdynamic earpads with my HE400 for awhile now. It sounds great. Perhaps, a bit of a placebo but I would say they sound better than with Jerg's pads or stock ones. However, I wouldn't like to speculate. This is totally relevant just to my ear. The mod is pretty simple. The HE400 are way more comfortable with BD pads. Beyerdynamic's headband helps too of course. Just throwing it out there...

What's involved in getting the Beyer pads on there? I just ordered a pair of 400's and I want to get some velour pads and those look like a nice option. I remember when I had my DT 770's and they were very comfy. Also, which pads are they?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #18,809 of 22,116
Jan 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #18,810 of 22,116
What's involved in getting the Beyer pads on there? I just ordered a pair of 400's and I want to get some velour pads and those look like a nice option. I remember when I had my DT 770's and they were very comfy.

1. You need a pair of DT770's earpads obviously.
2. Take the plastic rings out of HE400 earpads
3. Use a manicure scissors to reduce circumference of those rings for approx. 2 mm
4. Insert the rings into the BD's earpads. That's it.

Note: You will need some earpad sponge. I just cut a pair from a thin piece of sponge that I had...
Use your imagination. This part is easy too.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back