**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #18,811 of 22,116
1. You need a pair of DT770's earpads obviously.
2. Take the plastic rings out of HE400 earpads
3. Use a manicure scissors to reduce circumference of those rings for approx. 2 mm
4. Insert the rings into the BD's earpads. That's it.

Note: You will need some earpad sponge. I just cut a pair from a thin piece of sponge that I had...
Use your imagination. This part is easy too.

Good luck!

Very cool. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #18,812 of 22,116

Cayin C5 may be the best alternative to the E12....bigger sound-stage more organic sounding than the warmer E12, similar power for juice hungry planars....looking to get one asap as I think it has just cemented itself as the most natural/powerful portable entry-level priced amp on the market.

Just bought a used Cayin C5 last weekend to stack it with X5. X5 alone can drive the HE-400 but IMO its only about 70%-75% of its potential, and adding Cayin C5 to the rig improved the sound and pushed it above 85%. Mind you the numbers are just guestimates as I don't have another portable amp that has more power or even a full-size amplifier to compare the sound.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #18,813 of 22,116
Hey guys, I ordered a pair of HE-400s 5 days ago from Amazon and they haven't even shipped. I contacted Amazon today and apparently there was some mix-up and they sold me a pair when they were out of stock. They won't be back in stock until the 13th. Long story short, I had them refund me the whole amount for a couple of reasons. Reason one being the Fidelio X2.  I've heard alot of good things about them about them and they seem like they'd compete with the HE-400s, not to mention they're easier to drive and look beautiful. And reason two being Audeze's new EL-8 headphones, they look amazing and they might be worth waiting for...if the price is right.

So now I'm sitting here with $$$ burning a hole in my pocket wondering whether I should stick with the HE-400, pull the trigger on the Fidelio X2, or wait for Audeze to show us their new cans. I'm mainly thinking I should just re-order the HE-400s or order a pair of X-2s, as I'm sure whatever Audeze is offering is going to be more than $500. A man can dream, right? Yeah though, does anyone have any input on how the HE-400s compare to the X2s? I know the HE-400s are planar magnetic, so they should technically be the better headphone, but I have a feeling that might not be the case here, especially with the praise the Fidelios have been getting. Any input appreciated, thanks.

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #18,814 of 22,116
  Soo, I ordered a pair of HE-400s 5 days ago from Amazon and they haven't even shipped. I contacted Amazon today and apparently there was some mix-up and they sold me a pair when they were out of stock. They won't be back in stock until the 13th. Long story short, I had them refund me the whole amount for a couple of reasons. Reason one being the Fidelio X2.  I've heard alot of good things about them about them and they seem like they'd compete with the HE-400s, not to mention they're easier to drive and look beautiful. And reason two being Audeze's new EL-8 headphones, they look amazing and they might be worth waiting for...if the price is right.

So now I'm sitting here with $$$ burning a hole in my pocket wondering whether I should stick with the HE-400, pull the trigger on the Fidelio X2, or wait for Audeze to show us their new cans. I'm mainly thinking I should just re-order the HE-400s or order a pair of X-2s, as I'm sure whatever Audeze is offering is going to be more than $500. A man can dream, right? Yeah though, does anyone have any input on how the HE-400s compare to the X2s? I know the HE-400s are planar magnetic, so they should technically be the better headphone, but I have a feeling that might not be the case here, especially with the praise the Fidelios have been getting. Any input appreciated, thanks.

beerchug.gif

Yea, if I was to guess a price for the Audeze headphones, I'd guess above $500, though official pricing hasn't been announced.

Another cool option if you are down to wait for sometime Janurary-February is the Oppo PM-3 at $400. It's a closed-back portable easy-to-drive planar magnetic headphone.

The Oppo PM3 & new Audeze EL-8 are the two headphones I am most excited about!!! ...I thought I was going to be finally satisfied with my current gear, but a nice pair of portable planar magnetic headphones is too tempting for me to pass up. Can't wait for these to be released!!!

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #18,815 of 22,116
  Hey guys, I ordered a pair of HE-400s 5 days ago from Amazon and they haven't even shipped. I contacted Amazon today and apparently there was some mix-up and they sold me a pair when they were out of stock. They won't be back in stock until the 13th. Long story short, I had them refund me the whole amount for a couple of reasons. Reason one being the Fidelio X2.  I've heard alot of good things about them about them and they seem like they'd compete with the HE-400s, not to mention they're easier to drive and look beautiful. And reason two being Audeze's new EL-8 headphones, they look amazing and they might be worth waiting for...if the price is right.

beerchug.gif

Amazon said they had 18 in stock last night. I went to order a pair today and they were sold out until the 15th. Ordered directly from Head-Direct for $249 with a free travel case. I forgot to order the velour pads so I need to call and see if they can add that to my order to save on shipping. You are correc though...those X2's are nice looking. I might look into them and see how they compare and consider cancelling my order before it ships depending on how they rate. They look more comfy, have a better connection to the cups, and IMO just look better overall. But I guess it's the sound that counts.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #18,816 of 22,116
  Amazon said they had 18 in stock last night. I went to order a pair today and they were sold out until the 15th. Ordered directly from Head-Direct for $249 with a free travel case. I forgot to order the velour pads so I need to call and see if they can add that to my order to save on shipping. You are correc though...those X2's are nice looking. I might look into them and see how they compare and consider cancelling my order before it ships depending on how they rate. They look more comfy, have a better connection to the cups, and IMO just look better overall. But I guess it's the sound that counts.

That's my predicament, I think the Fidelios look handsome as a suit, while the HE-400s look nice, they just don't compare. Obviously sound quality is numero uno, though.

If anyone has heard both the Fidelio X2 the and the HE-400s I'd love to hear your impressions.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #18,817 of 22,116
I just read the review over at Headfonia and that has me about 90% ready to order the X2 and skip the HE-400 altogether.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #18,818 of 22,116
  Yea, if I was to guess a price for the Audeze headphones, I'd guess above $500, though official pricing hasn't been announced.

Another cool option if you are down to wait for sometime Janurary-February is the Oppo PM-3 at $400. It's a closed-back portable easy-to-drive planar magnetic headphone.

The Oppo PM3 & new Audeze EL-8 are the two headphones I am most excited about!!! ...I thought I was going to be finally satisfied with my current gear, but a nice pair of portable planar magnetic headphones is too tempting for me to pass up. Can't wait for these to be released!!!

Those Oppos sure do look nice, but the words closed-back portable easy-to-drive planar magnetic at $400 don't quite mesh with me. Heres hoping they sound as good they "sound". lol

Quote:
  I just read the review over at Headfonia and that has me about 90% ready to order the X2 and skip the HE-400 altogether.

Seconded. The only thing that's stopping me is that the HE-400s are supposedly godly in terms of bass, and the way they worded the review...it sounds like the X2's aren't lacking in bass at all, but aren't at the level of the HE-400s. Gotta have me some bass man. Overall they sound like the better headphone though, arghhh. :/ Decisions, decisions. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #18,819 of 22,116
Well, I'm coming from Grados so any amount of bass will be loads more...lol...I'm ordering the X2's....too much good stuff about the sound (for my tastes at least), look great, described as very comfortable, built very well with lots of metal but are heavy, easy to change cables, removable ear pads, easy to drive though I'll be amping them....I'm sold. Only thing...out of stock until the 9th :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #18,820 of 22,116
X2 ordered (estimated delivery 1/14) along with a new DVD drive for my computer so I can play CD's again...lol

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #18,822 of 22,116
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #18,823 of 22,116
  Maybe this will help...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663288/philips-fidelio-x1-vs-hifiman-he-400-stronger-natural-midrange

I was just looking at that thread. The X2s are supposed to have a much more balanced sound than the X1s, so I don't know if those comparisons will be accurate lol. I've heard that the mids are great on the HE-400s and I've also heard that they're terrible. I've heard that the X2s are a basshead can and I've heard that they don't have enough bass. Lol im not sure what to think. It wouldn't be ideal, but I might just have to order both and compare them and see which I like better, seeing that I'm so hung up on the decision. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #18,824 of 22,116
I was just looking at that thread. The X2s are supposed to have a much more balanced sound than the X1s, so I don't know if those comparisons will be accurate lol. I've heard that the mids are great on the HE-400s and I've also heard that they're terrible. I've heard that the X2s are a basshead can and I've heard that they don't have enough bass. Lol im not sure what to think. It wouldn't be ideal, but I might just have to order both and compare them and see which I like better, seeing that I'm so hung up on the decision. 

i think that is a great idea! :) i do tat too when im stuck between headphones heh

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #18,825 of 22,116
I just did. I just ordered the HE-400 too. Not much to lose. Especially if you order your HE-400 from Head-Direct. They give you a 30 day return policy so if you don't like them, send them back. Only thing you're out is shipping...I look at it like a rental fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back