**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 3, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #18,766 of 22,116
  Hello everyone!

I just bought my HE-400 off of a member on here last week and received them yesterday. All I can say is wow. I was excited for these as they're my first costly purchase ($300) and I have never hear planar drivers before. My other cans are the ATH-M50x, HD598, HFI-580,  ATH-IM50 and DX 120.

**I am new to the audio world, so please forgive my terminology**

The first thing I noticed is that the bass feels like it has impact, unlike my other headphones. I really don't know how to explain it. The clarity is unlike any other headphone I have tried, although the sibilance can kill it. Thankfully these seem to EQ nicely and you can get that well under control. I have the stock pads on but have read that the velour pads make a big difference in the sound. Considering I am more than satisfied with the sound, I don't think I'll be going for the velour pads just yet. I've also noticed that everyone is saying these cans are heavy and uncomfortable, but I don't feel that way. Sure, they are definitely heavier than other headphones, but they rest so nicely on my head that I can't even tell I'm wearing them at some points.

Bottom line - GET A PAIR!

tl;dr - Good sound, bass impact, sibilant but can EQ, somewhat heavy.

If you already think the HE-400s are comfy with the stock pads, just wait til you try the Focus Pads, way more comfy than the pleather IMO.

Currently listening to Andy Stott's new album on my 400s, Modi 2 Uber, and Asgard 2. SO GOOD.

Also @KewlMunky thank you for the comparison with the HE-500s, been thinking about picking up a pair in the future to compliment the 400s for certain albums. Might just wait out and save for a long time for the new HiFiMAN offering or the HE-560s. I always fear I'll miss the bass of the 400s though.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #18,767 of 22,116

If you already think the HE-400s are comfy with the stock pads, just wait til you try the Focus Pads, way more comfy than the pleather IMO.

Currently listening to Andy Stott's new album on my 400s, Modi 2 Uber, and Asgard 2. SO GOOD.

Also @KewlMunky thank you for the comparison with the HE-500s, been thinking about picking up a pair in the future to compliment the 400s for certain albums. Might just wait out and save for a long time for the new HiFiMAN offering or the HE-560s. I always fear I'll miss the bass of the 400s though.

I'm still confused on if I should get the Focus or Focus A pads..... the Focus appear to have dampening holes around the inside of the pad. I guess as long as they both calm down the treble I'll be satisfied.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #18,768 of 22,116

Does the sound improve as much as the reviews say with those pads? I can't even imagine.

Not only that, but I am truly jealous of your equipment! All I have is a Fiio X1 and a JVC RX5020V amplifier at the moment. I was considering the Vali, but the whole tube replacement just turned me away and I don't have the cash for anything more expensive yet.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #18,769 of 22,116
  Does the sound improve as much as the reviews say with those pads? I can't even imagine.

Not only that, but I am truly jealous of your equipment! All I have is a Fiio X1 and a JVC RX5020V amplifier at the moment. I was considering the Vali, but the whole tube replacement just turned me away and I don't have the cash for anything more expensive yet.

My ears are far from perfect after over two decades working in and out of data centers. So take that in account when reading my next statement.

In my opinion, the primary advantage with the focus pads (Focus-A) are the following in order of impact to the listening experience:
1. OMG the comfort!
2. Sound stage.
3. Maybe, less emphasis on bass relative to the velour pads.

On item 3, I am waiting on additional impressions by folks. I am doubting my ears, I suppose.

Also,

Correction: The Vali doesn't provide tube rolling which was my original thought below. Your concern is tube lifespan. I suspect.

On the Vali and not wanting to burn your cash on tubes--I totally understand your position as I watch moths flap from my wallet.

The Magni or Magni 2 are very fine amplifiers. Add the Modi or Modi 2 DAC and you have a great entry point audio system.

Cheers!

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #18,770 of 22,116

from my experience, i dont really find that much difference between pads. ymmv

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #18,771 of 22,116
Are the he 400 good for Progessive house? Music with female and make vocals?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #18,772 of 22,116

My ears are far from perfect after over two decades working in and out of data centers. So take that in account when reading my next statement.

Yeah.. I haven't been tested but my right ear has suffered some sort of hearing loss. I've tested this by turning headphones around with music playing. While there's a crisp sounding hi-hat in my left ear, there's a flat, muffled sounding one in my right. This is most likely the result of playing in bands and just straight up solo practice without ear protection. I feel that my China cymbal is the culprit. (I'm only 22)

We must take better care of our ears!!!

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #18,773 of 22,116
I'm receiving my HE400s in a few days and I've heard alot about different revisions and how some of them are terrible. This might seem like a stupid question, but how many revisions are there and which one is being sold right now on Amazon or in other stores? Is it the good revision?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #18,774 of 22,116
  I'm receiving my HE400s in a few days and I've heard alot about different revisions and how some of them are terrible. This might seem like a stupid question, but how many revisions are there and which one is being sold right now on Amazon or in other stores? Is it the good revision?

I believe there are 4 revisions. I think the most sought after ones are Rev. 2 and Rev. 4.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #18,776 of 22,116
  Yeah, a little searching revealed that Rev. 2 and 4 are the same sonically. I see you have HFI 580s. I was considering those before I pulled the trigger on the HIFIman's. Any input on how they compare against each other?

I actually just received the HE-400 two days ago but I'll try my best to compare. I am also very new to this whole headphone/audiophile world so you'll have to take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I honestly love them both. In comparison, the HE-400 have much more body to them. The highs are very sharp and somewhat sibilant (more so at higher volume levels) but able to be EQ'd to a more acceptable level. I, for one LOVE treble so this is only a bonus to me. I don't like to use an EQ because I know that somewhere I am losing detail. The bass is perfect for me. Not too much and not too little. And the mids aren't forward like some AKG headphones. The only other open headphones I have to compare soundstage with are the HD598. I feel that the 598 have a somewhat greater soundstage, but not by a large margin.

The HFI-580 have more bass (they are closed, however) and definitely less high-end, although it is very good and detailed. I'd say they have a closer to "balanced" sound in comparison to the HE-400.. please nobody shoot me down! The soundstage is also very good.. deceptively "large" and very different from my M50x.

This is all I can come up with at the moment. In short, I think you'll love your HE-400!

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #18,777 of 22,116
  I actually just received the HE-400 two days ago but I'll try my best to compare. I am also very new to this whole headphone/audiophile world so you'll have to take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I honestly love them both. In comparison, the HE-400 have much more body to them. The highs are very sharp and somewhat sibilant (more so at higher volume levels) but able to be EQ'd to a more acceptable level. I, for one LOVE treble so this is only a bonus to me. I don't like to use an EQ because I know that somewhere I am losing detail. The bass is perfect for me. Not too much and not too little. And the mids aren't forward like some AKG headphones. The only other open headphones I have to compare soundstage with are the HD598. I feel that the 598 have a somewhat greater soundstage, but not by a large margin.

The HFI-580 have more bass (they are closed, however) and definitely less high-end, although it is very good and detailed. I'd say they have a closer to "balanced" sound in comparison to the HE-400.. please nobody shoot me down! The soundstage is also very good.. deceptively "large" and very different from my M50x.

This is all I can come up with at the moment. In short, I think you'll love your HE-400!

Sounds about like what I've heard from "expert audiophiles. For a noob audiophile you sound spot on! 
L3000.gif
 Glad I got the HE-400s. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #18,778 of 22,116

I believe there are 4 revisions. I think the most sought after ones are Rev. 2 and Rev. 4.

I believe the bad ones (rev 3) have already been pulled off the shelf by Hifiman and shouldn't be available on Amazon, but I could be wrong. You should be fine unless you're buying from a non-reputable seller or perhaps buying a used pair. Hopefully, you'll get the second or fourth revision.

The best thing is to check them yourself. Remove the pads (careful) and look at the colour of the driver supports/grill thing.
More details (with images) in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/4710#post_8762155
Rev 4 looks the same as rev 2

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #18,779 of 22,116
How was the difference between the 400 and 500 in terms of vocals? Are they 2x better (hence $900 vs $400), or should I say  the price increase is justified?

Quote:
  My friend got in his Magni 2 Uber, so we finally had a proper amp to try out my HE 400 and his HE 500.

First of all, there was absolutely no comparison of the HE 400 using the Fiio e12 and the Magni 2 Uber. After using the Magni 2 Uber, I realized that the Fiio e12 does these cans no justice. My headphones really came to life, though now I understand better about how bright these cans really are. So now I'm planning to get either the Focus or Focus A pads to try to calm that down.

My HE 400 had stock pads, and the HE 500 I tried had the velours, so this isn't a complete even grounds comparison. For most songs, the 400 do have a greater bass presence, but it seems to trail off faster than on the 500. Easily, the 400 are a much brighter and V shaped can, while the 500 has a much smoother sound. A lot of people say they feel the bass of the 500 is a bit lacking, but I was not disappointed. Sure, more would have been nice, but I do not feel that it was too little. 

As someone who listens to mostly metal and rock, I would say that the 500 is definitely the better headphone for someone who values a more even sound. I absolutely love my 400 set, but if I could go back with this knowledge I may have waited a bit longer so that I could have gotten the 500.

I know, not a very professional review, but I'm not a professional audiophile so there you have it :p

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #18,780 of 22,116

once you get above the $300ish price range, you never get double the sonic improvements at double the price.

even jumping from a really solid $150-$200 headphones (like the akg q701 or k7xx) to something in the $300 doesn't usually net you 50-100% improvement in sound quality.

diminishing returns hits the upper mid-fi & flagship headphones pretty hard.

edit: the HE-400 can be found for $300 or cheaper nowadays and the HE-500 can be found for $500. pretty solid sound performance for their respective price brackets (though comfort may be an issue due to the heavier weight of their orthodynamic design).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back