**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #18,736 of 22,116

Thanks a bunch.  I really do love this community.  Such helpful and very nice people.  I am discovering what i love from the help of other people who love the share the same passion.  I will most likely purchase a magni in the near future.  Thank you for your recommendation.

Folks recommend the Schiit stuff a lot. I think some under appreciated (except by those that use them) amps are the Garage1217 line.
I have a few of them. I really liked my Sunrise III for use with the 400s, if you want to play with tubes. I got a Polaris a few months ago, it too really makes the 400s sing for me. It is also highly configurable . Just another option for you to consider. The Polaris has a thread going here if you want to read some impressions.

BTW. I had a Lyr 2 here for about a month. It had the stock tubes in it. I decided to return it and just use my Sunrise III .
Nothing wrong with the Lyr, just not really worth the price difference for my use.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #18,737 of 22,116
  BTW. I had a Lyr 2 here for about a month. It had the stock tubes in it. I decided to return it and just use my Sunrise III .
Nothing wrong with the Lyr, just not really worth the price difference for my use.

I'm glad you found a budget amp that you are happy with! Sunrise retails for $249, while the Magni was $99, so at 2.5x the price, I'm sure the differences between Sunrise III & Lyr 2 were much more subtle. 

Believe me, I wasn't thrilled to spend $449 on an amp - I bought it with the intention of comparing the two and returning it if I couldn't justify it. After a few days with it, there's no way it's going back. When I switch back to the Magni, it's just so bright and anemic - I've been spoiled. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #18,738 of 22,116
I just pulled the trigger on some HE-400s with a set of velours, (haven't arrived yet) though I'm getting post purchase jitters lol. Sooo, I've got a question. Would you guys say the HE-400s are the best cans with a bassy, yet detailed sound signature for the $300 price tag? Would I be better off with something like the JVC SV2000s? Or do the HE-400s kill them in terms of overall sound quality? I don't want bass MONSTERS, but I do like cans with a bassy punch. Thanks for your input, and if you'd like to reccomend something else, I absolutely cannot go over $300.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #18,739 of 22,116
  I just pulled the trigger on some HE-400s with a set of velours, (haven't arrived yet) though I'm getting post purchase jitters lol. Sooo, I've got a question. Would you guys say the HE-400s are the best cans with a bassy, yet detailed sound signature for the $300 price tag? Would I be better off with something like the JVC SV2000s? Or do the HE-400s kill them in terms of overall sound quality? I don't want bass MONSTERS, but I do like cans with a bassy punch. Thanks for your input, and if you'd like to reccomend something else, I absolutely cannot go over $300.

yes. the he-400 has some of the best bass quality of any headphones in the sub-$500 price range. overall sound quality is phenomenal at the $300 price point. there are few other headphones that can compete in this price range, so you can rest easy :)

note some issues with the he-400 are its weight and unique sound signature. you really have to try them to see what you think about those two things. I personally adjusted to the weight after a week and I enjoyed its sound signature.

I think the AKG K7xx (at$200) has great sound quality that rivals the he-400 at a cheaper price, but not sure when massdrop will be doing another drop. that would be my recommendation of what to look at this you are dissatisfied with the he-400 after trying it. other headphones with excellent bass that is comparable to the he-400 would be the phillips x1 which is sub-$300 nowadays. i would look at those as well if you are unhappy with the he-400 and don't want to wait for the k7xx. there is a new version, the x2, but I don't know much about it.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #18,740 of 22,116
Im pretty resilient when it comes to headphone comfort. I could probably tape two screwdrivers to my ears and not complain. I've heard akg headphones are relatively bass light plus I need a pair of cans asap as I'm currently running off of my monitors built in speakers. What exactly is it about the Phillips X1 that's different as I've read that they're similar to the HE-400s with a smaller soundstage. Thanks

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #18,741 of 22,116
Im pretty resilient when it comes to headphone comfort. I could probably tape two screwdrivers to my ears and not complain. I've heard akg headphones are relatively bass light plus I need a pair of cans asap as I'm currently running off of my monitors built in speakers. What exactly is it about the Phillips X1 that's different as I've read that they're similar to the HE-400s with a smaller soundstage. Thanks

the k7xx has much better bass than the q701/k701/k702 series. more akin to the newer 65th k702 anniversary edition and the k712. the k7xx has a 3db bass boost. I direct compared it to the he-400 and the bass quality are excellent. really just a matter of preference.

i think you will be happy with the he-400, so no need to worry about other headphones unless you get the he-400 & really disklike it. i never had a chance to direct compare the x1 with the he400, so perhaps go to the x1 thread for more information. note that each appreciation thread is inherently biased towards the headphones they are appreciating hahah.

for the he-400 headphones, they do benefit from amping so consider getting some sort of budget amp :) gl & i hope u enjoy em

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #18,743 of 22,116

The 4th Def have a unique sound. I've heard Pol review them with more of a very v sound signature, treble can roll off high, while the bass is tight and natural. The mids are present but flat. I do believe the the sound becomes more rich and full with more burn in time. Depending on what your amping them with may vary in the soundstage. I really love the 400s, versatile with most genres of music. Also note that these r the first step into the planar magnetic world. It's hard to compare these to some midfi hifi dynamic cans because orthos r special in their own way.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #18,744 of 22,116

So personally which amp would you recommend?  given price and quality? 

If you are'nt trying to avoid a tube amps, i would recommend Little Dot MK VI+,my main setup is Foobar Wasapi > Anedio D2 > XLR OCC Cable > Littledot MK VI+ > depend what listen i do use HD 800, T1, LCD 2 and HE-6 headphones, and i tell you that is a huge value amp, the SQ, Accuracy, Soundstage and detail is better than 3 or 4 times amps, like Woo Audio WA22, and it can drive greatly well even a Hifiman HE-6, i know that at 120ohms he can deliver around 5Watts per channel, not only dat if not is a Single Ended pushpull, OCL(Output Capacitorless), is Class A. And you can ask Mundorf M supreme cap upgrade version if you want.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #18,746 of 22,116
The 4th Def have a unique sound. I've heard Pol review them with more of a very v sound signature, treble can roll off high, while the bass is tight and natural. The mids are present but flat. I do believe the the sound becomes more rich and full with more burn in time. Depending on what your amping them with may vary in the soundstage. I really love the 400s, versatile with most genres of music. Also note that these r the first step into the planar magnetic world. It's hard to compare these to some midfi hifi dynamic cans because orthos r
special in their own way.

This makes me feel good about my decision. I've never heard planar magnetic cans before so I'm sure it will be a unique experience for me. About amping them, it's to my understanding that I don't need a DAC, as I can just plug an amp (schiit magni) directly into my Xonar DG.Is that correct, or would I benefit
significantly by buying a DAC as well, say the modi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back