**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #18,707 of 22,116
They are indeed heavy, and with just the stock headband can get uncomfortable. I've been using this headband for a few days now and it made a world of difference for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419807608&sr=8-2&keywords=headphone+headband

Yeah, I considered buying the he-400's, but I turnd away because of comfort and style, and ended up getting Fidelio x1's (At a very good price) instead. I use my headphones several (4+) hours a day, so comfort was a major factor when I got them.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #18,708 of 22,116
A little bit, but it's still pretty impactful. There's always a trade off. Cutting the resonance in the ear chamber will make the bass sound faster at the cost of some impact and vice versa. In this case, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. There is still more than enough impact for metal, in fact, I would go so far as to say it is the perfect amount. Plus, the PRAT is improved so much, you really won't even care once you start listening. You will be grooving to double kick patterns like never before. You can really hear and feel the intracacy of the drummer's footwork with a stunning level of clarity.

You are speaking of the Focus Pad, not the Focus A Pad, correct? I hope so, because I think the Focus A Pads have been out of stock for a while (maybe discontinued?).

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #18,709 of 22,116
  This interests me as I mostly listen to metal, but others have said they felt the bass was reduced with the Focus Pads. What are your thoughts? Did it lose impact when it got snappier?

Also, my friend got his 500's with a set of velours so I am excited to test how they sound on my 400s vs the stock pads.

Well I have the Focus As, so not quite the same but I noticed no real loss in bass. Sludge and Doom still hit hard as ever and it still keeps up with death and black metal quite well.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #18,711 of 22,116
I'm still skeptical on cables drastically changing the sound signature of a headphone but I've never had a treble problem with the 400s using pleather or the Focus Pads. I've been using a CablePro Earcandy since day one though.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #18,712 of 22,116
I'm still skeptical on cables drastically changing the sound signature of a headphone but I've never had a treble problem with the 400s using pleather or the Focus Pads. I've been using a CablePro Earcandy since day one though.

The cables change the impedance of the headphones, nothing more. People who tell you otherwise are fabricating the sound

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #18,713 of 22,116
You are speaking of the Focus Pad, not the Focus A Pad, correct? I hope so, because I think the Focus A Pads have been out of stock for a while (maybe discontinued?).

Correct. FocusPad.

The A's are good too, but for totally different reasons. I prefer FPA with the HE500, and the FP with HE400, personally. This is mostly because of the way it makes the HE400 sound with metal.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #18,715 of 22,116
Your hearing is fine
biggrin.gif
, sometimes the treble can be sharp, but it's not ear bleeding like some describe.
Using Focus Pads right now, there is more balance right now.

*listening to really wrong 70's and 80's*

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #18,717 of 22,116

Regarding Focus-A pads:

I ordered a pair on Christmas from head-direct.com, December 25th, and they shipped December 29th.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #18,718 of 22,116
Hi,
(Sorry for the interruption.) First of all what a great year HIFIMAN just had in 2014, and 2015 is looking to be even better in every way. Thanks everyone for your support. 

Everyone here is very busy at preparing for the CES show starting next Tuesday in Las Vegas. This year we have built a brand new booth to show off our products. It is absolutely gorgeous!

How to find us you ask? You can find us at Convention Center South Hall 21806 (see map below) as well as Venetian Hotel room 30-219

At either location you will have a chance to try ALL of our products ranging from full size headphones to IEMs, from portable music players to headphone amplifiers. If you run into Dr. Fang, talk to him about anything audio related (or not). You won't regret it. :wink:

Looking forward to meet everyone at the show. Oh...don't worry if you can't make it. We will bring you the latest news here, so stay tuned. 

BTW, there is ONE MORE THING! Here are a few pictures of why this show will be VERY special for us and hopefully for you. :)

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #18,719 of 22,116
[COLOR=222222]Hi,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222](Sorry for the interruption.) First of all what a great year HIFIMAN just had in 2014, and 2015 is looking to be even better in every way. Thanks everyone for your support. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Everyone here is very busy at preparing for the CES show starting next Tuesday in Las Vegas. This year we have built a brand new booth to show off our products. It is absolutely gorgeous![/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]How to find us you ask? You can find us at [COLOR=000000]Convention Center [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]South[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]Hall 21806 (see map below) as well as Venetian Hotel room 30-219. [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] 

At either location you will have a chance to try ALL of our products ranging from full size headphones to IEMs, from portable music players to headphone amplifiers. If you run into Dr. Fang, talk to him about anything audio related (or not). You won't regret it. :wink:

Looking forward to meet everyone at the show. Oh...don't worry if you can't make it. We will bring you the latest news here, so stay tuned. 

BTW, there is ONE MORE THING! Here are a few pictures of why this show will be VERY special for us and hopefully for you. :)

[/COLOR]

Whoa, look at those cans. Quite a departure from standard HiFi man tank like style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back