**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #18,721 of 22,116

Regarding Focus-A pads:

I ordered a pair on Christmas from head-direct.com, December 25th, and they shipped December 29th.

They were out of stock for the last few days ( I don't think I checked until after Christmas ) but are back in stock on head direct today I see. Have you tried the regular Focus pads? I would like to know your thoughts on the Focus-A pads either way.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #18,722 of 22,116

They were out of stock for the last few days ( I don't think I checked until after Christmas ) but are back in stock on head direct today I see. Have you tried the regular Focus pads? I would like to know your thoughts on the Focus-A pads either way.

I agonized between the Focus and Focus-A pads then bought the latter after reading reviews. At $40 + shipping, I cannot rationalize having both. I do like the velour sound and their comfort is acceptable if not ideal. I was hoping the focus pads would be a compromise between the pleather and velour.

I will let you know what I think once I got a few hours on them.

Happy new years eve!
o2smile.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #18,723 of 22,116
wow, that post from Hifiman is currently blowing my mind, I can't believe they're working with UM to make CIEMs or that they're bringing out what I presume is a new flagship.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #18,724 of 22,116
I will do a comparison once i get my veylour pads.  Should be in a few days.  I am really starting to love the he-400 sound signature.  It has had about 50 hours of burn in time and the sound is really grabbing me now.  This makes me even more excited to try out the veylour pads because that means it will only get better.  Nothing wrong with that :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #18,725 of 22,116
  I definitely wouldn't want to lose any bass ( increasing it wouldn't be an issue ) but I do feel that they are quite a bright sounding set. I think instead of the focus pads I'd rather just try to EQ down the treble a bit. Although I think I should definitely wait until I get my Magni 2 Uber amp ( currently using a Fiio e12 ) and see how that will sound with them.

How do the velours compare to the stock pads? All I have used so far are the stock ones.

Hi KewlMunky,

I am currently looking into purchasing a portable amp for the HE-400 to listen to music with the HTC One M7. I will also use the 400s with PC.
I have in mind with Fiio E17 and E18 which both have DAC. I know that the E18 is made for Android devices. And I also like the E17 for the looks. Then with the E17K soon to be out. I am not sure if I should wait for the newer model. How does the E12 sounds with the HE-400?
I know that the E12 has more amp output than the three model I have mentioned.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #18,728 of 22,116
  Anyone who knows a place to buy a new cable for the HE-400? Would like some shorter custom made cable, not the cheap stuff you can buy on eBay, but a quality one
biggrin.gif

I found a DIY cable for the HE-400.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686127/inexpensive-hifiman-cable

If not here are  some other options.  they range in difference with price.
https://head-direct.com/Products/?cid=3

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hifiman-cable

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_62

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #18,729 of 22,116

Hi KewlMunky,

I am currently looking into purchasing a portable amp for the HE-400 to listen to music with the HTC One M7. I will also use the 400s with PC.
I have in mind with Fiio E17 and E18 which both have DAC. I know that the E18 is made for Android devices. And I also like the E17 for the looks. Then with the E17K soon to be out. I am not sure if I should wait for the newer model. How does the E12 sounds with the HE-400?
I know that the E12 has more amp output than the three model I have mentioned.

The E12 is the only amp I have used with the HE-400s so far, so I can't say how it performs to others. I will say, however, that I am very happy with how they do sound using this amp. Usually I have the amp plugged into my computer, but I tested it once plugged into my Fiio X5 and I had to put the gain up to get sufficient volume.

Hopefully this weekend I can test them out on my friend's Magni 2 Uber, and then I will have a better opinion on if the E12 does the 400s justice or not.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #18,730 of 22,116
  The E12 is the only amp I have used with the HE-400s so far, so I can't say how it performs to others. I will say, however, that I am very happy with how they do sound using this amp. Usually I have the amp plugged into my computer, but I tested it once plugged into my Fiio X5 and I had to put the gain up to get sufficient volume.

Hopefully this weekend I can test them out on my friend's Magni 2 Uber, and then I will have a better opinion on if the E12 does the 400s justice or not.

I use the FiiO E10 and the sound is pretty great.  The sound is still treble heavy but the bass is very lush and tight.  I feel these cans can be pushed a bit further, Ive been looking at purchasing a Schiit Magni. Before i bought the 400's i was using my first entry set: my k240's and the e10 really brought them to life.  The impact of amping the 400's with the e10 versus using them just plugged into my s5 wasnt a major change.  It definitley was a change but not as significant as using the k240's amped or not.  Even though the impedance on my 240's is 55ohms. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #18,731 of 22,116

I use the FiiO E10 and the sound is pretty great.  The sound is still treble heavy but the bass is very lush and tight.  I feel these cans can be pushed a bit further, Ive been looking at purchasing a Schiit Magni. Before i bought the 400's i was using my first entry set: my k240's and the e10 really brought them to life.  The impact of amping the 400's with the e10 versus using them just plugged into my s5 wasnt a major change.  It definitley was a change but not as significant as using the k240's amped or not.  Even though the impedance on my 240's is 55ohms. 

I paired the first gen Magni with my HE400 for two straight years. I was happy as a clam, and never found them to be bright like everyone else was saying - Until I got my Lyr 2. Now I can seriously hear how lean the Magni sounds and why everyone says it's bright. It loses details in the bass especially, but in other areas as well. The Lyr 2 just sounds so damned good with these headphones. 

I'd say Magni pumps the HE400 to 80-85% to the level of the Lyr 2. It's still a great value, and a good place to start.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #18,732 of 22,116
  I paired the first gen Magni with my HE400 for two straight years. I was happy as a clam, and never found them to be bright like everyone else was saying - Until I got my Lyr 2. Now I can seriously hear how lean the Magni sounds and why everyone says it's bright. It loses details in the bass especially, but in other areas as well. The Lyr 2 just sounds so damned good with these headphones. 

I'd say Magni pumps the HE400 to 80-85% to the level of the Lyr 2. It's still a great value, and a good place to start.

So personally which amp would you recommend?  given price and quality? 

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #18,733 of 22,116

So personally which amp would you recommend?  given price and quality? 

I'm glad I started with the Magni, and I would recommend any newcomers to do the same. I probably wouldn't have appreciated the Lyr in the same way had I jumped straight to it. Your ear evolves over time, and people that jump straight to mid or end game often end up disappointed due to really high expectations.

I also find the journey to be just as exciting as the destination for audio, so I like to take things slow. Magni. I'd recommend the Magni to newcomers.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #18,734 of 22,116
  I'm glad I started with the Magni, and I would recommend any newcomers to do the same. I probably wouldn't have appreciated the Lyr in the same way had I jumped straight to it. Your ear evolves over time, and people that jump straight to mid or end game often end up disappointed due to really high expectations.

I also find the journey to be just as exciting as the destination for audio, so I like to take things slow. Magni. I'd recommend the Magni to newcomers.

Thanks a bunch.  I really do love this community.  Such helpful and very nice people.  I am discovering what i love from the help of other people who love the share the same passion.  I will most likely purchase a magni in the near future.  Thank you for your recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back