**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #18,496 of 22,116

Huh, I haven't gotten any further update either way. Oh well, worst case is that I'll end up $238 richer!  
bigsmile_face.gif

To be honest I think I'm just going to go for the one on Audio Advisor. $250 isn't too bad either.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #18,497 of 22,116
Moon audio had the 400i's for $400?

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #18,499 of 22,116
Only for the people who got the $200 HE-400. It's still there for the people who did get it.

What, when was this deal for 400 for $200??

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #18,501 of 22,116
Guys, I have compared the HD650 to the HE-400 and wanted to see how they differ on female vocals (I always read someone is bitching about female vocals on the HE-400) with velour pads.

What I found was the HE-400 pushes the sibilance, and other crap in the recorded voice really up front, but pushes back the harmonics and the high notes of female vocals a little back. In other words, female vocals aren't "complete" like male vocals on the he-400, they sound unnatural, I'm not talking about timbre or tone, just very odd.

On male vocals, the HE-400 the best i've heard. Listening to Alicia Keys - No One sounds like she has lost her voice. Very strange.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #18,502 of 22,116
Guys, I have compared the HD650 to the HE-400 and wanted to see how they differ on female vocals (I always read someone is bitching about female vocals on the HE-400) with velour pads.

What I found was the HE-400 pushes the sibilance, and other crap in the recorded voice really up front, but pushes back the harmonics and the high notes of female vocals a little back. In other words, female vocals aren't "complete" like male vocals on the he-400, they sound unnatural, I'm not talking about timbre or tone, just very odd.

On male vocals, the HE-400 the best i've heard. Listening to Alicia Keys - No One sounds like she has lost her voice. Very strange.

Some FocusPads will clear that up. They help lift the recessed frequencies between 2k and 5k. Recession in this range can cause female vocals and guitars to sound a bit odd.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #18,504 of 22,116
  To be honest I think I'm just going to go for the one on Audio Advisor. $250 isn't too bad either.

Disappointed that I still haven't gotten any communication from Moon Audio since Monday night when I was emailed about them overselling. Sent a quick email Wed night to see if there was an update from HiFiMAN about being able to help them fulfill the order, and now it's Friday night without having heard anything.

It's my first time using Moon Audio, and I'm sure it's not a fun spot for them, but I do hope this situation starts improving.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #18,505 of 22,116

Disappointed that I still haven't gotten any communication from Moon Audio since Monday night when I was emailed about them overselling. Sent a quick email Wed night to see if there was an update from HiFiMAN about being able to help them fulfill the order, and now it's Friday night without having heard anything.

It's my first time using Moon Audio, and I'm sure it's not a fun spot for them, but I do hope this situation starts improving.

Same here. I just ordered from Audio Advisor yesterday. It costs $50 more, but at least it shipped. I couldn't be bothered with waiting more than a few days to see if I can save $50 when I've literally got nothing to listen with.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #18,506 of 22,116
Same here. I just ordered from Audio Advisor yesterday. It costs $50 more, but at least it shipped. I couldn't be bothered with waiting more than a few days to see if I can save $50 when I've literally got nothing to listen with.

I thought about that and then I decided to wait. I just got the HD650 in and I'm loving that, so I've got something to listen to. It may be only a $50 difference, but it's the difference between being worth it for me to wait or not. And if they can't get the headphones, I'll just take the refund and walk away for now.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #18,508 of 22,116
I thought about that and then I decided to wait. I just got the HD650 in and I'm loving that, so I've got something to listen to. It may be only a $50 difference, but it's the difference between being worth it for me to wait or not. And if they can't get the headphones, I'll just take the refund and walk away for now.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too big in a hurry if I had an HD 650. Besides, it's not that the HE-400 is even better than the 650, so it's totally fine to just wait it out and see what happens while rocking the classic Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back