**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #18,466 of 22,116
The velour pads are similar to listening to the he-400 without pads,  having just the speakers close to your ears. On good quality recordings it's heaven, but on tracks with a lot of treble its will mess your ears up. Also IMO it has the best bass of all 3 pads.

The focuspads are like a filter, removing some the tizzy freqs.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #18,467 of 22,116

I have the best results in taming the nasty upper mids using the Jerg pads and a grill mod. The closest thing Hifiman makes to the Jerg pads are the Focus A pads.
It depends on the sound you like, but the tizziness and sibilance with stock 400s along with the unnatural female voices  (on lots of recordings, even well recorded ones) just was so distracting to me that I couldn't really enjoy the rest of the good qualities of the 400. 
With the Jerg pads .. I actually can really enjoy listening to the 400s. The Focus A pads will cost considerably more, but from my perspective they will be worth the difference in price.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #18,468 of 22,116
Because i have 3 pads ( pleather, velour, focus ) on my HE-400, so i think i can help a little :
_ Pleather : Dark sounding I feel it lack the high range a bit.
_ Velour : it's the one i like the most. Wider soundstage, better mid, extender bass
_ Focus : closer soundstage with the mid be focused at center, punchier bass.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #18,470 of 22,116
thanks  for the input guys.
beerchug.gif
 i think i'll just get the velour for now, and maybe do a  little modding in the future.   

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #18,471 of 22,116
Those small holes in the fouspads are some Lord of the rings, Harry Potter sh1t that makes them sound less shrill and sibliant. I'm curious of the science behind it. Hifiman has put a lot more engineering in the focuspads than their past pads.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #18,472 of 22,116
I owned the HE-400 and velours a while back, but the improvement over the pleathers wasn't enough for me to hang on to them after a while. With the $200 sale, I thought it was worth it to invest in the Focus A pads and give these another shot. It would be nice if they improved mids a bit, but all I really need are more comfort and a less harsh treble.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #18,473 of 22,116
  Those small holes in the fouspads are some Lord of the rings, Harry Potter sh1t that makes them sound less shrill and sibliant. I'm curious of the science behind it. Hifiman has put a lot more engineering in the focuspads than their past pads.

Take a look at the Jerg Pad mod thread. Jerg communicated with Hifiman in the development  stage. The came up with the Focus A pads that were used on the pre production HE 560. His theories and notes on development are discussed there.

Yeah, Harry Potter schitt... unlike lots of this stuff, it seems to actually make a difference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-5

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #18,474 of 22,116
I owned the HE-400 and velours a while back, but the improvement over the pleathers wasn't enough for me to hang on to them after a while. With the $200 sale, I thought it was worth it to invest in the Focus A pads and give these another shot. It would be nice if they improved mids a bit, but all I really need are more comfort and a less harsh treble.

I think you'll find them to your liking with the Focus As. Though we have a bit different setups (I'm using mine for vinyl, through an Asgard 2) I found the Focus A pads to tame the harscher treble without ruining the presence of the HE-400s. Also wayyyy more comfortable. To me, they're worth it for that reason alone.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #18,475 of 22,116

The Focus As will help with what you want. They did for me.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #18,476 of 22,116
  I think you'll find them to your liking with the Focus As. Though we have a bit different setups (I'm using mine for vinyl, through an Asgard 2) I found the Focus A pads to tame the harscher treble without ruining the presence of the HE-400s. Also wayyyy more comfortable. To me, they're worth it for that reason alone.

The Focus As will help with what you want. They did for me.

Thanks, I'm hoping it will be a success. One way or another, I'm gonna make these puppies more comfortable this time around.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #18,477 of 22,116

Thanks, I'm hoping it will be a success. One way or another, I'm gonna make these puppies more comfortable this time around.

Have you tried one of these? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems a bit more expensive than what it should, but it does help with comfort on the top of the head.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #18,478 of 22,116

Have you tried one of these? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems a bit more expensive than what it should, but it does help with comfort on the top of the head.

I tried the band from my DT990 back when I owned both of them and I couldn't snap all the buttons, it was too tight. So this time I ordered an HD600 replacement headband cushion from B&H for $14 and see if that works. Some say it does, some say it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back