**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #18,511 of 22,116
Out of nowhere I got a shipment notification from Moon Audio for my HE-400. How do you like that!

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #18,512 of 22,116
Some pages ago someone recommended equalizer settings, I copied them to foobar and the result was an improvement.
Yesterday I played with a sinus generator for an hour and this is the result:
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141208/wrdqr7hs.png
It sounds much better!
Most interesting is the 8000Hz peak, do you have experienced something similar or could it be my soundcard?
I will defenitly spend more time to optimize the EQ settings. I think an equalizer is necessary for the He-400.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #18,516 of 22,116
  Some pages ago someone recommended equalizer settings, I copied them to foobar and the result was an improvement.
Yesterday I played with a sinus generator for an hour and this is the result:
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141208/wrdqr7hs.png
It sounds much better!
Most interesting is the 8000Hz peak, do you have experienced something similar or could it be my soundcard?
I will defenitly spend more time to optimize the EQ settings. I think an equalizer is necessary for the He-400.

When you're done with optimization, share the E-Q file. I'm sure many will find it useful, myself included. I EQed the treble to remove the harshness, but I'm not exactly good at this sort of thing.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #18,517 of 22,116

Sorry forgot to mention I use the velour pads and my music collection are all pop music, which means they are badly mastered, and the he-400 are NOT forgiving. In an alternate reality where all music is audiophile quality, the he-400 would be a blessing, but the reality is: hell no it aint. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #18,518 of 22,116

Sorry forgot to mention I use the velour pads and my music collection are all pop music, which means they are badly mastered, and the he-400 are NOT forgiving. In an alternate reality where all music is audiophile quality, the he-400 would be a blessing, but the reality is: hell no it aint. 

I'm not in that sort of music and I cannot speak, but with metal, rock, blues, classical etc. they are not fatiguing :wink: And I listen with loud volume usually 

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #18,519 of 22,116
Yes, I listened to some classical lik "Vivaldi four seasons - spring" and soundtracks like star wars and gladiator and the he-400 are the best I've heard, but put on a bright recording and sprinkle  some sibilance over it, the he-400 slaps you like a pimp.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #18,520 of 22,116
  Yes, I listened to some classical lik "Vivaldi four seasons - spring" and soundtracks like star wars and gladiator and the he-400 are the best I've heard, but get to a song with some over top treble and some sibilance, the he-400 slaps you like a pimp.

I dunno.. For classical and light genres I use more the Senn HD598 for their incredible mids.. But really in my music the highs produced by he 400 are never fatiguing; maybe they are not suitable for your genres.. In my case, for instance,the HD 598 are definitely not for metal :D

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #18,521 of 22,116

Yes, I listened to some classical lik "Vivaldi four seasons - spring" and soundtracks like star wars and gladiator and the he-400 are the best I've heard, but get to a song with some over top treble and some sibilance, the he-400 slaps you like a pimp.

I dunno.. For classical and light genres I use more the Senn HD598 for their incredible mids.. But really in my music the highs produced by he 400 are never fatiguing; maybe they are not suitable for your genres.. In my case, for instance,the HD 598 are definitely not for metal :D
I agree too! The 598s are too polite, slow and well mannered for metal. The HE400 are great. I do find the treble problematic too but that was rectified with modded jergpads and a touch of EQ. They respond well to EQ and retain detail despite the notching down of the troublesome upper frequency spikes.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #18,522 of 22,116
I do find both the 598s and he400s great for orchestral music but for different reasons. They are complimentary and each does things that the other can't.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #18,523 of 22,116
I feel like its important to mention what pads that are being used, the pleather doesn't have as offensive treble and they are most of the time non fatiguing but it's like the sound is coming through a tunnel.  The velours are very open sounding and has the best bass extension of all the pads, but the treble doesn't have any control so they are overbearing most of the time. I feel like the he-400 doesn't have a one and one only set of pads to use, they all have pros and cons.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #18,524 of 22,116
I agree too! The 598s are too polite, slow and well mannered for metal. The HE400 are great. I do find the treble problematic too but that was rectified with modded jergpads and a touch of EQ. They respond well to EQ and retain detail despite the notching down of the troublesome upper frequency spikes.

Mmh to me this is really strange. I usually listen a lot of metal (mainly melo-death) and I never get fatigued also with loud volumes.. it may be also for the AMP I'm using which tend to be strong in bass impact but smooth in highs (Matrix M-stage V2 with opa627).
To be honest with the FiiO E12, which I've recently bought, the HE400 have a more forward presentation and the high are more "harsh" to my ears. I will try and see if they are fatiguing after long listening!

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #18,525 of 22,116
I do find both the 598s and he400s great for orchestral music but for different reasons. They are complimentary and each does things that the other can't.

Well your right. I love classic music also with HE400 but I tend to use more other headphones for it. 
We can say HIfiman are really good all-rounder!

maybe can help --> I use leather pads but I've got also the velour one 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back