**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #18,274 of 22,116
i have the He 400 and i dont understand the general need for equalizing them.... I had this repulsion for the highs when i had them paired with some incompatible amp ....Now i had absolutely no fatiguing high...best regards

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #18,275 of 22,116
Perhaps some other people here have the same experience with the he400 , with the right amplification its unecessary to equalize them ?

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #18,276 of 22,116
  i have the He 400 and i dont understand the general need for equalizing them.... I had this repulsion for the highs when i had them paired with some incompatible amp ....Now i had absolutely no fatiguing high...best regards

Which amp do you use now that you find compatible, I'd like to get an amp for mine, is there any particular one that stands out working well with them. I don't really understand ohms and impedance so I'm never too sure what's compatible or not. As for budget I'd consider something like the Lyr 2 or similar which is around £350 or so  in the UK and as for sound, something like you mentioned that works well with the highs. As for a budget of around £350, that's a max and I'm more than happy to pick up something a lot less like a Vali if it works well.

Edit: Just read the equipment in your sig and it seems the Ember would be the answer to my question.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #18,277 of 22,116
I had the Aune t1 in the past , certainly a good amp, but not ideal for the He 400 for taming the high. In my experience the dac is also an important component for taming the high The Aune dac was not ideal for that...I had in the past try the hifimediy dac with great succes, no problem with the high after that....I upgrade it with the bushmaster now...

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #18,278 of 22,116
i am perfectly happy now withe he 400 signature...... I am sure that the 400i is an upgrade, but i am not sure that its a big upgrade... I certainly will not buy it, the bass signature of the he 400 without fatiguing high are pleasing...I will upgrade in some years with he 560 or he6 successor... The he 400 for the present price on the market are very good headphone....

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #18,280 of 22,116
  I don't have a lot of experience, but I don't care for a bright sound, so maybe the HE400 is not for me then.  But I do want something that will go very low.

Help me understand how the 400 can be V shaped and neutral?  I thought V shaped meant emphasized bass and emphasized treble (or recessed mids I guess would mean the same thing), and neutral meant a relatively flat line, with nothing emphasized to anything else.  Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

IMO they are V-shaped but not by a lot. And they aren't neutral. 

I wouldn't say they have a bright sound overall. They aren't thin sounding at all. However, they do have a very fatiguing spike in the treble. If treble bothers you, you probably won't like them. EQ fixes most of the treble problem, but it doesn't make the treble perfect IMO. 

400i might be a better match for you. I don't really know. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #18,281 of 22,116

What EQ are you guys using to keep the treble down? I searched on this thread and they are all electric-Q files. I have a mac so I can't use footer with electri-q.

Can you guys pot the frequencies dB to cut?

Cut the same frequencies that are cut in the Electri-Q graphs. IIRC I had a cut around 8 khz and an even bigger one around 11 khz. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #18,283 of 22,116
  I don't have a lot of experience, but I don't care for a bright sound, so maybe the HE400 is not for me then.  But I do want something that will go very low.

Help me understand how the 400 can be V shaped and neutral?  I thought V shaped meant emphasized bass and emphasized treble (or recessed mids I guess would mean the same thing), and neutral meant a relatively flat line, with nothing emphasized to anything else.  Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

I mean its tonally neutral. Wheras the fidelio x1 is tonally warm.

Bass extension is much better on the he-400 for sure.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #18,284 of 22,116
As a compliment to the HE-400 and HD598, which 6xx headphone would do best?

HD600 or HD650?

Neither?
tongue.gif

From what I've heard, I think the HE-400 and HD650 are considered to be similar enough in voicing that it would be kinda repetitive to have both. However, I have never been able to do a direct comparison to confirm.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #18,285 of 22,116
Anyone driving these with a Woo WA6?  What tubes are you using? Does it have enough power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back