**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #18,286 of 22,116
The he400 is tonally warm. Dont know what kind of neutral headphones you've listened to, but the HE400 is far from neutral. Its warm/dark with a sizzly treble that sticks out from everything else.

If it werent for that sizzly treble, the HE400 would be pretty tilted towards warmth all over.

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #18,287 of 22,116
  I haven't heard the X-1, but from graphs, I can tell you it has much more bass, mid-bass especially, and less sub-bass. The HE-400 bass isn't really that big, it's just incredibly tight. 400 is more V-shaped, because mids are quite recessed and treble is the most prominent part of the headphone. Fidelio should have more prominent but less controlled bass. Aside from this, I ask anyone who has heard the X-1 to add anything to this if needed :)

Good information. I am curious as well.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #18,288 of 22,116
The he400 is tonally warm. Dont know what kind of neutral headphones you've listened to, but the HE400 is far from neutral. Its warm/dark with a sizzly treble that sticks out from everything else.

If it werent for that sizzly treble, the HE400 would be pretty tilted towards warmth all over.

this headphone's timbre is so weird, it can be heard as both dark and bright tonally. I personally think that overall its closer to the dt880 timbre (neutral) than the fidelio x1 timbre (warm).

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #18,289 of 22,116
  Which amp do you use now that you find compatible, I'd like to get an amp for mine, is there any particular one that stands out working well with them. I don't really understand ohms and impedance so I'm never too sure what's compatible or not. As for budget I'd consider something like the Lyr 2 or similar which is around £350 or so  in the UK and as for sound, something like you mentioned that works well with the highs. As for a budget of around £350, that's a max and I'm more than happy to pick up something a lot less like a Vali if it works well.

Edit: Just read the equipment in your sig and it seems the Ember would be the answer to my question.

Just to follow up, I've heard these off a Xonar STX soundcard, Magni/Modi stack, Bifrost/Valhalla 2 stack, and a balanced Mjolnir. They were noticeably better to my ears on the Mjolnir if you're able to go that far up ($749) and get balanced cables. They seemed a lot more vibrant and punchy off the Mjolnir than the others.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #18,290 of 22,116

X1 is warm and bassy. loose boomy bass, boring treble, mediocre resolution. huge soundstage.

HE-400 is neutral and v-shaped. linear tight bass, sparkly but fatiguing highs. recessed upper mids/lower treble. great detailing. pretty good soundstage.

Agreed, my problem with HE-400 only the high fatiguing my ears.. I always prefer set EQ flat, but with this cans I need to step down the high.
Thinking to sell this cans...

Grill mod and Jerg pads really tame the parts that made me cringe. Mostly sibilance and female voices.
I had been listening exclusively to the 400i for weeks. The other night I cranked up the 400. I forgot how nice they can play different pieces.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #18,291 of 22,116
Ive been listening my HE400 in stock form, the highs and the recessed mids are sometimes disturbing, but I dont think its a big problem to me, I dont know, maybe because the cool things from these cans easily make up for those drawbacks, the highs also give much impact to the songs I listen. Like when Im listening to songs, what do u call that, decay? That thing is amazing, it feels like the vocals are sent through across my body.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #18,293 of 22,116
  Ive been listening my HE400 in stock form, the highs and the recessed mids are sometimes disturbing, but I dont think its a big problem to me, I dont know, maybe because the cool things from these cans easily make up for those drawbacks, the highs also give much impact to the songs I listen. Like when Im listening to songs, what do u call that, decay? That thing is amazing, it feels like the vocals are sent through across my body.

Was Hifiman forced to recess the upper mids and have that big treble at the top to get the awesome bass? 

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #18,294 of 22,116
I agree with the majority of people here....the fatigue level of the HE-400s is high!  After a about an hour of listening  you really start to feel the clamping effect and have to take a break!  I love the sound of the 400s, I just wish they were a little more comfortable.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #18,295 of 22,116
You can gently "stretch" the headband by bending it. That helps with the clamp. I can wear mine all day but the headband, sitting atop my pointy head, eventually starts to irritate. I do get some sound fatigue as well, but am usually good about taking breaks with them.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #18,296 of 22,116
  You can gently "stretch" the headband by bending it. That helps with the clamp. I can wear mine all day but the headband, sitting atop my pointy head, eventually starts to irritate. I do get some sound fatigue as well, but am usually good about taking breaks with them.

Agreed. I bought this padding (<--click). It can be found on a amazon and ebay. The price really should be more like $10, but for $16 it is worth the increased comfort.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #18,297 of 22,116
  I agree with the majority of people here....the fatigue level of the HE-400s is high!  After a about an hour of listening  you really start to feel the clamping effect and have to take a break!  I love the sound of the 400s, I just wish they were a little more comfortable.

The headband is made of metal so you can bend it out bit by bit to comfort.  I know mine clamps just enough so that the cups basically just fall over my ears, its better with the Focus Pads as well.

Taming the 10khz region also helps with fatigue - i lower it by about 6db

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #18,298 of 22,116
I guess it depends on your head. I've had no comfort issues with the HE-400's. I also prefer a relatively tight clamp on headphones though. 

Comfort concerns for me are always the earpads - their size and depth. I find these to be quite comfortable. Not as comfy as some HD 800s or 598s, no - but I don't notice them until wearing for 5+ hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back