**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #18,301 of 22,116
I have a quick question.  I have an Emotiva xda2 dac/amp with balanced outputs on the back one left and one right, big xlr outputs.  Would I be able to get a cable that uses these outputs?  Would I need to have the right speaker connected to the right output, left to the left?  Sorry if this is obvious. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #18,302 of 22,116
Yeah, that would be called a balanced setup. You can get balanced cables which use the Hifiman connectors on the ear cups, and terminate in XLR. I think you're describing 3-pin XLR which uses one plug for left the other for right. 4-pin XLR uses one plug for both ear cups.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #18,303 of 22,116
  The Foobar graphical EQ plugin (or the installed plugin) work fine - but im using Equalizer APO for system wide right now. Helps for games as well. 

Checked it out, and looks good. Are you using Peace with it and if so, got an example config I can inspect?

Thank you.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #18,305 of 22,116
I actually disagree, I feel like the upper mid recession is bringing a unique sound from the he-400 and eq that will do more harm than good. Yes songs who has a lot of treble frequencies can be tiresome, but not always. The sound is very life like to me, not organic instruments, I have the hd650 for that but voices I feel like are real, specially in movies. I think this is because of the upper mid recession. 
How do you get that GUI?

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #18,306 of 22,116
  Im using a GUI for EQ APO yup - heres what mine looks like when taming sibilance. 

Mine are grill modded with Focus Pads so tweak as you like 

Got it installed and thank you. Tonight I will listen to Led Zeppelin and test.

dt880smile.png

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #18,308 of 22,116
Anyone have a 2nd pair of headphones they like better than their 400.

I like my HE-560 better than my HE-400. hahah. I preferred the HE-400 over the other $300ish open headphones I've tried like the Q701.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #18,309 of 22,116
  Im using a GUI for EQ APO yup - heres what mine looks like when taming sibilance. 

Mine are grill modded with Focus Pads so tweak as you like 

+100 for Equalizer APO. 

Awesome program and a must imo for the HE-400. I wouldn't only want to tame the treble in music players, but games and Youtube videos as well. I don't use the program anymore since moving on from the HE-400 but I'd strongly recommend the program to anyone.

I'll have to take a look at that GUI app you posted, looks really helpful. I was editing the config file before to create my EQs which was a pain in the neck!

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #18,310 of 22,116
Anyone own both the HE-400s and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs?  I'm trying to sell my Focus Padded, Grill Modded HE-400s and i have someone willing to trade for the mad dogs

Is it an even trade? Are the mad dogs a closed equivalent to the 400s? Maybe with deeper bass, non sibilant - with a smaller sound stage, less clarity/separation maybe? 

This is with stock mad dog pads i believe, maybe a trade for stock/velour he400 would be more even 

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #18,312 of 22,116
Anyone own both the HE-400s and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs?  I'm trying to sell my Focus Padded, Grill Modded HE-400s and i have someone willing to trade for the mad dogs

Is it an even trade? Are the mad dogs a closed equivalent to the 400s? Maybe with deeper bass, non sibilant - with a smaller sound stage, less clarity/separation maybe? 

This is with stock mad dog pads i believe, maybe a trade for stock/velour he400 would be more even 

I have the ZMF vibros, which are a t50rp mod more similar to the alpha dogs. I havent heard the mad dogs. Anyway, the vibros are superior to the HE-400 in all respects (including soundstage and separation) aside from bass texture. But they have a very different presentation, much more relaxed and smooth. They dont have the same energetic, aggressive edge as the HE-400s. Dunno if that helps.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #18,313 of 22,116

Dont know if this helps, but a guy I met that owned the MadDogs (didnt had the,with him) and listened to my HE400. He wasn't impressed at all, and preferred the Mad Dogs by far. He said it's also more musical, and everything else he prefers(from highs to lows, soundstage and so on).. I'm not sure what to think about his opinion tough, since he trashes all stuff that isn't his :) And then he sold them and bought LCD2 rev2, now he trashes the MadDogs :wink:

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #18,314 of 22,116
Mad Dog and HE400 are very different flavors. Love them both, prefer the HE400.

Seems like nowadays, everyone is trashing the HE400s. I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #18,315 of 22,116
I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.

True. I use the SE846, NAD HP50 and HE400, and love them all. The HE400 get's less use from me because most of the time I'm outside in the bus, cycling or in the office. So mostly I use the first 2. If I had HE400 sound as IEM, and SE846 sound as a speaker, I'd be in heaven :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back