**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #17,806 of 22,116
Modern receivers don't necessarily have the best headphone out capabilities, and the he400 will gobble up quite a bit of power when given the chance to fill out the sound it produces. I've never heard that receiver, so it might be an exception. It could be the dac your computer is using as well. Keeping in mind you're coming from a sennheiser, the mids on the he400 are noticeably a bit more back than the Senns I've heard.

The HE-400's do require a good bit more juice to run. Volume level on the receiver is usually ~20 on the Senn's and ~40 for a comparable volume on the hifiman's.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #17,807 of 22,116
The thing to keep in mind is some headphones don't show much improvement with increased amping, and some do. The he400 is certainly on the improvement side.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #17,808 of 22,116
So I found an album that I like a lot more with these. Super Guitar Bros.
As for the amping. If I want to keep the volume level down-ish is there any way to amp these? Do I need to stick a resistor in line? Also on the prior note my receiver is my DAC.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #17,810 of 22,116
Well, that would still be the dac your computer is using
tongue.gif

Even if I'm doing optical out? I was under the impression that SPDIF was a pre-dac interface.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #17,811 of 22,116
It's using your receiver's dac is my point, whether a dac is internal or external to the computer matters not, plus I'm quite tired so not quite so elegantly stated

Ultimately, just enjoy your new purchase for now, get used to how it sounds, and save any worries about improving the sound for later. Enjoy the journey :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #17,813 of 22,116
Since the focuspads are angled, is there a preferable position to have them sitting on the headphones? I actually haven't had angled pads before, is it normal to have the thicker part of the ear pad at the top of the headphone and the thinner part at the bottom? Is this standard?

The thin side should be facing the front and the thick side should be facing the back.

This positioning emulates two stereo speakers positioned very wide out in front of you (as opposed to 90 degrees directly to your left and right). It improves stereo imaging.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #17,814 of 22,116
The thin side should be facing the front and the thick side should be facing the back.

This positioning emulates two stereo speakers positioned very wide out in front of you (as opposed to 90 degrees directly to your left and right). It improves stereo imaging.

Thanks for the advise, I will give this a try and see what the results are! Thanks.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #17,816 of 22,116
so apparently I'm a dummy who can't connect both the amp and DAC to my computer. Help?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729723/please-help-need-to-connect-amp#post_10777555
Edit: I got it :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #17,818 of 22,116
Oh my gosh, these are just awesome! I just got the them in the mail, and I cant take them off. This is it, till next year atleast. Out of the box, from just my Iphone 5, They sound just like my amperior, but more open and airy obviously. However not as open as the hd600, but I like that, It wouldnt be as aggressive if It was any more airy.. The punch, and PRaT is crazyyyy for an open headphone, holy cow. There is some sibilance, same with the amperior/hd25, but I am a treble lover so nothing I cant handle. Its probably just my ears too. I have been finding my amperiors and ksc 75s to be more "zippy" in the highs lately, I had a neck injury a month in a half ago and my hearing is changing.. Itll heal. 2 months ago, I would have found the treble to be absolutely perfect. Bass is perfect, better than I could have imagined from a open headphone. It has the hit of my amperior, which is one of the punchiest cleanest (not overbearing) low end out of closed cans, nvm open.

At $300 on sale, these HE-400s are about 2x as good as my previous cans,which In my book is very worth it. The koss ksc75 already sounds so good to my ears, I thought Id have to spend $1000 to get any significant different. Im very pleased. So extremely pleased. I have heard an HD600, at Headroom (headphone dot com)in Bozeman, MT from a Fiio E11 w/ line out to Iphone 4s, and These sound better to me, from just my Iphone 5, no amp yet. I cant even imagine what these sound like out of a powerful amp. For anyone looking to buy a new headphone for home listening, under $400, I dont know if these can be beat for "Fun Listening". Rather than "accurate listening", but hey I like to jam, not look at my music with a microscope. 

As for comfort, I dont see what people are complaining about. These are much more comfortable than V moda M100s, and I dont notice much of a difference in weight between those either. I have long, thick curly hair that acts as cushion though, maybe that helps. I have had them on for an hour, and I would have already been bleeding from the M100s lol. I think I could handle these for 3 hours, which is about the max I ever want headphones on anyways. The build is great, and I kinda like the screw on cables, it feels secure. I dont think theyd handle too many drops from over 3 feet though, but they do feel like a $400 headphone quality wise. One thing that was wierd was one of my cups had a little rattling piece inside, before I first put it on to listen, then as I started playing it, the rattle went away. Wierd, hopefully it doesnt mean anything bad. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #17,819 of 22,116
The HE-400 + Focuspads + Vali + Modi sound really good. I'm really curious how the 400i I get for the touring event will compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back