**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #17,791 of 22,116
Thanks. I ended up buying the HE 400 Last night, im pretty stoked. I even got 1 day shipping, all for 299$. I was so anxious to hear these things. I need them tommorow! Only problem is I do not have an Amplifier. I used to have an E11, and I didnt much care for it. I want something more "professional" but still portable. I was looking into the Fiio E12 and the E17. Which one would match the HE 400 better?  I have read in different reviews, that although it has a decently low impedance, is still rather hard to drive. I have an Iphone 5 right now, and will just be using that to burn them in, until I find an amp. Im also open to other brands than Fiio, what do you guys recommend? 

The best portable I've tried is the Arrow 3G. Costs about $200 tho but the bass is incredible and you'll likely not even use the 2nd level bass boost.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #17,792 of 22,116
Thanks. I ended up buying the HE 400 Last night, im pretty stoked. I even got 1 day shipping, all for 299$. I was so anxious to hear these things. I need them tommorow! Only problem is I do not have an Amplifier. I used to have an E11, and I didnt much care for it. I want something more "professional" but still portable. I was looking into the Fiio E12 and the E17. Which one would match the HE 400 better?  I have read in different reviews, that although it has a decently low impedance, is still rather hard to drive. I have an Iphone 5 right now, and will just be using that to burn them in, until I find an amp. Im also open to other brands than Fiio, what do you guys recommend? 

If you absolutely need portability then get the e12. I currently use the e17 and it does a pretty great job but I bought an objective2 to get the most out of the he-400.

The e12 doesn't have a DAC though and I think double amping sounds terrible.

You could do what I did. Fiio e17 for when portable. Line out to O2 when at home.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #17,793 of 22,116
Just got my focuspads, and my initial impression is that there is a lift in the mids, but the thing that really strikes me is that treble energy seems less prominent. they still have plenty of treble, but in a very non-harsh way. I'll update tomorrow if I believe it's still true

I'm glad to hear your initial impressions sound positive!

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #17,794 of 22,116
So for those keeping up with focuspads impressions, I have more info. (compared to the velours) I maintain that the mids are lifted, and the treble peak is not nearly as pronounced. However, I must say that there is a definite perceivable shrinking of soundstage compared to the velours, IMO. While these pads are angled, the thickest part of the angle is still thinner than the velour pads. I am unsure if this is the cause of soundstage shrinking, or the fact that the pad opening is smaller, and my ears touch the inside of the pad (not the driver, no comfort issues). I do have big ears though. soundstage isn't small, still. Maybe other smaller-eared focus pad users can shed light on whether the soundstage shrunk to them too
Edit: After listening to some of the Chesky tracks, I think a lot of the issue is a perception because the ear pads hug my head tighter. Still good soundstage and better imaging with the Chesky tracks

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #17,795 of 22,116
So for those keeping up with focuspads impressions, I have more info. (compared to the velours) I maintain that the mids are lifted, and the treble peak is not nearly as pronounced. However, I must say that there is a definite perceivable shrinking of soundstage compared to the velours, IMO. While these pads are angled, the thickest part of the angle is still thinner than the velour pads. I am unsure if this is the cause of soundstage shrinking, or the fact that the pad opening is smaller, and my ears touch the inside of the pad (not the driver, no comfort issues). I do have big ears though. soundstage isn't small, still. Maybe other smaller-eared focus pad users can shed light on whether the soundstage shrunk to them too

I'll try and do some A/B testing. It would make sense that you would lose some width with the driver closer to the ear. I don't remember feeling like it was significant though. Only one way to find out...

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #17,796 of 22,116
I'll try and do some A/B testing. It would make sense that you would lose some width with the driver closer to the ear. I don't remember feeling like it was significant though. Only one way to find out...

Thanks. for the lurkers, I do find the focus pads preferable to the velours. Much better for rock too (my favorite genre)

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #17,797 of 22,116

I don't really notice a shrinking of the sound stage with mine. The pads do feel a bit warmer(sound not comfort) then the velours though, something I also felt was true with the original pleathers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #17,798 of 22,116
Since the focuspads are angled, is there a preferable position to have them sitting on the headphones? I actually haven't had angled pads before, is it normal to have the thicker part of the ear pad at the top of the headphone and the thinner part at the bottom? Is this standard?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #17,799 of 22,116
So I just got my pair of these in and first impressions are "meh". Coming from some sennheiser hd 555's the he 400's are better, but not by much.
I'm powering these with a pioneer vsx 519 v k tied to my computer via optical spdif. Am I doing anything outright wrong?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #17,800 of 22,116
what pads? I don't like it with the pleather at all. however, with velour or focus pads, I like them a lot
edit: if you only have pleather, try removing the foam rings under the ear pads. they can be put back in, albeit with some effort

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #17,802 of 22,116
So I just got my pair of these in and first impressions are "meh". Coming from some sennheiser hd 555's the he 400's are better, but not by much.
I'm powering these with a pioneer vsx 519 v k tied to my computer via optical spdif. Am I doing anything outright wrong?

Very interesting!

I ordered these earlier today, and they are coming with velour pads along with the pleather. I have the same Pioneer 519 receiver in another room, but will be using my vsx1019, laptop, and iPhone before I decide what I want in an amp (signature wise). I have the HD 598s and HD 518s.

Was a very difficult decision between the HE-400 and the HD650, but I was confident that the HE-400s would prove to compliment what I have already quite nicely.

Should be in by next Wednesday. It's going to be a looooong week.

What were your first impressions of the HE-400s coming from the Sennheisers?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #17,804 of 22,116
Modern receivers don't necessarily have the best headphone out capabilities, and the he400 will gobble up quite a bit of power when given the chance to fill out the sound it produces. I've never heard that receiver, so it might be an exception. It could be the dac your computer is using as well. Keeping in mind you're coming from a sennheiser, the mids on the he400 are noticeably a bit more back than the Senns I've heard.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #17,805 of 22,116
Very interesting!

I ordered these earlier today, and they are coming with velour pads along with the pleather. I have the same Pioneer 519 receiver in another room, but will be using my vsx1019, laptop, and iPhone before I decide what I want in an amp (signature wise). I have the HD 598s and HD 518s.

Was a very difficult decision between the HE-400 and the HD650, but I was confident that the HE-400s would prove to compliment what I have already quite nicely.

Should be in by next Wednesday. It's going to be a looooong week.

What were your first impressions of the HE-400s coming from the Sennheisers?

First impression? They're fiddly. Screwing in the cable is a little difficult to do, swapping pads is a pain (4 plastic latches) and the dual cords from the headphones vs 1 on the 555s is a pain to drape around, This is just muscle memory, but I' used to slinging my 555s over my head but the same motion chokes me with the dual cord design.

Sound wise they're better. They're just not what I'd call $200 ($150 maybe) better. The biggest difference to my ears is in vocals, I actually turned the news on with them attached and that gave me the biggest "wow" :p
Benefits: They're smoother and the separation from musical element to musical element is clearer. Not sure on the other stuff.
I'm still running through my collection of music, but I guess I just expected a bigger jump given the price and the whole "planar magnetic" hoopla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back