**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #17,776 of 22,116
Hi headphone peeps. Been using my HE-400 for the last couple of months. Love the headphones and haven't had any problems with the headphones. I take them to starbucks at least once a week and always have someone asking about my headphones. Interested in my "endgame" headphones and wanted people's opinions of the Audeze LCD-2s as an upgrade. Would like people's who've gone the jump. My HE-400 is currently paired with an Aune T1.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #17,777 of 22,116
How do the HE 400s compare to Philips Fidelio x1? I want to upgrade my ksc 75 and my sennheiser amperiors, I have also owned and enjoyed V moda M100s. I really like forward, fast, energizing headphones, with a V shape. Does the HE400 fit that?

I have a hard time understanding "dark" vs "bright" and "warm" terms, but I know I like sennheiser amperior (unveiled senn), v moda m100, and koss ksc 75s. Would you think the He 400 or the Fidelio X1 fits my style. Those are the only two choices because im looking for a mid-tier open phones for under $300. Amazon has some good deals on these. $299 for planar magnetix really tickles my fancy. 

Are the HE 400s good at representing the aggresive synthetic sounds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL8E0KoSz9Q

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #17,779 of 22,116
Is the HE400 cable the same as HE560 and HE6? Ii just bought a replacement cable and wonder if I upgrade in the future can I swap them. How much are the silver, occ and regular cable differ? Thinking getting one more occ after the silver.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #17,780 of 22,116
Is the HE400 cable the same as HE560 and HE6? Ii just bought a replacement cable and wonder if I upgrade in the future can I swap them. How much are the silver, occ and regular cable differ? Thinking getting one more occ after the silver.

I wouldn't use silver or spc with 400's except if there is a tube in the audio chain (DAC or amp). Just IMO.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #17,781 of 22,116
How do the HE 400s compare to Philips Fidelio x1? I want to upgrade my ksc 75 and my sennheiser amperiors, I have also owned and enjoyed V moda M100s. I really like forward, fast, energizing headphones, with a V shape. Does the HE400 fit that?

I have a hard time understanding "dark" vs "bright" and "warm" terms, but I know I like sennheiser amperior (unveiled senn), v moda m100, and koss ksc 75s. Would you think the He 400 or the Fidelio X1 fits my style. Those are the only two choices because im looking for a mid-tier open phones for under $300. Amazon has some good deals on these. $299 for planar magnetix really tickles my fancy. 

Are the HE 400s good at representing the aggresive synthetic sounds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL8E0KoSz9Q

I have both.

Fidelio X1 - overall balanced but warm sound. Smooth uninteresting treble. Big loose mid-bass. Mids not recessed. Huge soundstage. Slow sound. Very comfortable. Easy to drive.

HE-400 - V-shaped. sub-bass drops very low. Treble has plenty of attack but can be harsh. Upper mids recessed pretty bad. Incredible detail and instrument separation. Faster sound. Comfort is hit or miss. Harder to drive.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #17,782 of 22,116
  Hi headphone peeps. Been using my HE-400 for the last couple of months. Love the headphones and haven't had any problems with the headphones. I take them to starbucks at least once a week and always have someone asking about my headphones. Interested in my "endgame" headphones and wanted people's opinions of the Audeze LCD-2s as an upgrade. Would like people's who've gone the jump. My HE-400 is currently paired with an Aune T1.

I don't have the LCD-2's, but I don't want other people to forget your question, since like 5 other people asked questions right after you. As you probably know, the LCD-2 is a very different flavor from the HE-400, since it has a more laid back treble and much more present mids. If anyone else could add their personal experiences with this, please do :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #17,783 of 22,116
What's the difference between the focus pads and the focus a pads?

Focus pads have velour where they make contact with your head, with perforated pleather on the inside and pleather on the outside. Focus A have pleather on the outside, and velour on the inside and where they make contact with the head. Jerg and others of note seem to prefer the A, though only mentioned in use with the 560. Note that I've seen mentioned that the ear hole may be smaller on the A, and the stitching may be uneven. also, I believe they aren't as thick as the focuspads, and may bring the headphone closer to the head. I got the focuspads, since I have big ears and others on this thread mentioned a lift in the mids and comfort with them, which is all I want. I hope that helps

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #17,784 of 22,116
Just got my focuspads, and my initial impression is that there is a lift in the mids, but the thing that really strikes me is that treble energy seems less prominent. they still have plenty of treble, but in a very non-harsh way. I'll update tomorrow if I believe it's still true

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #17,785 of 22,116
I have both.

Fidelio X1 - overall balanced but warm sound. Smooth uninteresting treble. Big loose mid-bass. Mids not recessed. Huge soundstage. Slow sound. Very comfortable. Easy to drive.

HE-400 - V-shaped. sub-bass drops very low. Treble has plenty of attack but can be harsh. Upper mids recessed pretty bad. Incredible detail and instrument separation. Faster sound. Comfort is hit or miss. Harder to drive.

Thanks. I ended up buying the HE 400 Last night, im pretty stoked. I even got 1 day shipping, all for 299$. I was so anxious to hear these things. I need them tommorow! Only problem is I do not have an Amplifier. I used to have an E11, and I didnt much care for it. I want something more "professional" but still portable. I was looking into the Fiio E12 and the E17. Which one would match the HE 400 better?  I have read in different reviews, that although it has a decently low impedance, is still rather hard to drive. I have an Iphone 5 right now, and will just be using that to burn them in, until I find an amp. Im also open to other brands than Fiio, what do you guys recommend? 

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #17,786 of 22,116
I personally enjoy the E12 with the HE400, providing enough power to satisfy how hungry the HE400 can get.  It's still shocking that when I was borrowing the LCD 2.2, that those two and the HD700 all ran at roughly the same volume setting with fairly close output volume.  I didn't actively try to match the volume, but it was close enough to be sure, for me at least.  The 400 will enjoy the bass boost the E12 gives, too.  I don't have any personal experience with the E17, so I can't comment on that one.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #17,787 of 22,116
  Thanks. I ended up buying the HE 400 Last night, im pretty stoked. I even got 1 day shipping, all for 299$. I was so anxious to hear these things. I need them tommorow! Only problem is I do not have an Amplifier. I used to have an E11, and I didnt much care for it. I want something more "professional" but still portable. I was looking into the Fiio E12 and the E17. Which one would match the HE 400 better?  I have read in different reviews, that although it has a decently low impedance, is still rather hard to drive. I have an Iphone 5 right now, and will just be using that to burn them in, until I find an amp. Im also open to other brands than Fiio, what do you guys recommend? 

really important to get either the velour or focuspads. IMO the pleathers sound strange

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #17,789 of 22,116
Note, that the LCD-2.2's he mentions were with the Fazor, which is increases effiecieny by about 3db/1mW... so much better than the non-Fazor classic 2's. Q701's can be harder to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back