**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #17,266 of 22,116
 I  have to disagree:
my LG G2, or my Laptop also can drive the HE400 loud enough, the iBasso DX90 also can. But they don't drive these cans with enough authority. Loudness is not everything. Orthos love power, the more they get the better.

But LG g2 and laptop are not even as good as a sansa clip+ probably, the HE400 are designed for low power use, look on the hifiman website if you don't believe me, everything you said there are generalisations which do not really apply to the HE400.

In aware of what they say on their site, and still. They exaggerate saying that an ipod can drive these cans. I mean, they can, you will hear music that's for sure but only amped they will come to their full potential. That's the nature of planars. The NAD VISO HP50 for example had almost similar specs and doesn't profit at all from amazing. I trust my ears on this, unamped the HE400 just doesn't sound this good. You don't need an good amp, but you definitely need one

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

May 14, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #17,267 of 22,116
I got my pair yesterday, for 150€ used they seemed like a real bargain for me so I jumped into them. Currently enjoying the sound a lot, I was leaning towards a more bright signature, but this cans have the detail and the clarity also adding some fun to the overall sound.

May 14, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #17,268 of 22,116
  I got my pair yesterday, for 150€ used they seemed like a real bargain for me so I jumped into them. Currently enjoying the sound a lot, I was leaning towards a more bright signature, but this cans have the detail and the clarity also adding some fun to the overall sound.

150 euros is crazy low. Nice find.

May 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #17,269 of 22,116
  Try the jerg pads mod if you are confident enough to do some modding. For me it helped tame the treble and brought out the upper mids. Still have sibilance but it is a lot better than in the past when with plain velours. Otherwise maybe try some eq.

I looked into that and i might give it a shot. How far did you mod yours, im wondering if its enough just to make those extra holes and trim the rubber flaps without going further? I dont want to sacrifice my velours, they are darn expensive in here(eu), 35 bucks shipped. eq is the last resort i suppose.

May 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #17,270 of 22,116
hello....

i need some advice from hifiman he-400 users...
i've been using grado sr60 for many many years now... i'm going to upgrade, and my clear choice goes to shure 940 initially. but after reading some more and found out that everybody and their dogs and their dog's friends have issues about the headbands... i'm starting to look at other options as well...

for many reasons, my current situations will only allow me to have 1 pair of headphones for the foreseeable future (3 to 4 years time). and this headphone will most likely be my only source of entertainment for that period of time (there will be no TV no Games no Bluray for me, just this future headphone / my old grado SR60 / and an audio player).

the headphones will be used specifically for these genres... (female vocals / indie folk / jazz / accoustics / strings).

so my consideration only comes to 2 things,
A) it has to be an upgrade in sound compared to my grado sr60
B) it have to last long (which i initially thought was a non-issue because of my daily-beaten yet still very much alive grado)

compare to other brands... hifiman he-400 is very nicely priced here, i can get it for ~$370, is it a good headphone to consider as my alternative of shure 940...?
from reading the reviews i've heard that he-400 must be driven with an amp. is that true?
i think i can set aside ~$130~$150 for an amp... the only option available for that price here is JDSLabs Objective2 and Fiio E12, will this be sufficient?
i won't buy DAC for at least a year or two though... so will the amp be enough to drive he-400 and is it a good option for me to consider?

ps: i can't audition the he-400 so i'm asking here... :)

cheers...

May 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #17,271 of 22,116
I have the 80i and the 400's- the HE-400 is much better IMO- better bass, air, soundstage especially for the genres you listen to which are mainly mine as well. Grado's are great but sound so small compared to the HE-400.
Buy one used for under $250 that way if you disagree you can resell for little loss.

May 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #17,272 of 22,116
  I looked into that and i might give it a shot. How far did you mod yours, im wondering if its enough just to make those extra holes and trim the rubber flaps without going further? I dont want to sacrifice my velours, they are darn expensive in here(eu), 35 bucks shipped. eq is the last resort i suppose.

Yeah I pretty much made some holes, trimmed some excess (accidentally trimmed a bit too much on one side), added some double sided tape to the vents, and spacers in the back. The last two parts really came down to preference and took a bit of extra work so may not be for everyone. And ouch sounds a bit pricey in the eu lol
  hello....

i need some advice from hifiman he-400 users...
i've been using grado sr60 for many many years now... i'm going to upgrade, and my clear choice goes to shure 940 initially. but after reading some more and found out that everybody and their dogs and their dog's friends have issues about the headbands... i'm starting to look at other options as well...

for many reasons, my current situations will only allow me to have 1 pair of headphones for the foreseeable future (3 to 4 years time). and this headphone will most likely be my only source of entertainment for that period of time (there will be no TV no Games no Bluray for me, just this future headphone / my old grado SR60 / and an audio player).

the headphones will be used specifically for these genres... (female vocals / indie folk / jazz / accoustics / strings).

so my consideration only comes to 2 things,
A) it has to be an upgrade in sound compared to my grado sr60
B) it have to last long (which i initially thought was a non-issue because of my daily-beaten yet still very much alive grado)

compare to other brands... hifiman he-400 is very nicely priced here, i can get it for ~$370, is it a good headphone to consider as my alternative of shure 940...?
from reading the reviews i've heard that he-400 must be driven with an amp. is that true?
i think i can set aside ~$130~$150 for an amp... the only option available for that price here is JDSLabs Objective2 and Fiio E12, will this be sufficient?
i won't buy DAC for at least a year or two though... so will the amp be enough to drive he-400 and is it a good option for me to consider?

ps: i can't audition the he-400 so i'm asking here... :)

cheers...

The he-400 really benefit from an amp but for me my other devices like my phone, 3ds, vita I can get to decent volumes without maxing out. If you can I would recommend it, if you really need the money for the future you will be fine without one. If you are used to the treble on the grados I would say the he-400 would work very well for you. Haven't heard/read much about the shures so couldn't comment on the difference between the two.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #17,273 of 22,116
  I have the 80i and the 400's- the HE-400 is much better IMO- better bass, air, soundstage especially for the genres you listen to which are mainly mine as well. Grado's are great but sound so small compared to the HE-400.
Buy one used for under $250 that way if you disagree you can resell for little loss.

i dont live in the US or Europe so selling is a bit problematic. i mostly listen to local japanese jazz / japanese folk. but some western musics i listened to are slow club / ani di franco / frightened rabbit / rachael yamagata / mumford & sons (only the sigh no more song at 2:23), i think it's good for reference...

do you listen to any of those...?

how about the amps...?
i think i can get schiit magni directly from schiit, but customs and shipping will make me in the end have to pay double. so i wont have budget for DAC. is it sufficient to just run he-400 and amp without DAC?

May 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #17,274 of 22,116

i dont live in the US or Europe so selling is a bit problematic. i mostly listen to local japanese jazz / japanese folk. but some western musics i listened to are slow club / ani di franco / frightened rabbit / rachael yamagata / mumford & sons (only the sigh no more song at 2:23), i think it's good for reference...

how about the amps...?
i think i can get schiit magni directly from schiit, but customs and shipping will make me in the end have to pay double. so i wont have budget for DAC. is it sufficient to just run he-400 and amp without DAC?

Amps help some but not like you would think- there would be a much more discernible improvement going from the 60i to the 400 (or similar) than from an ipod to a $300 amp (with same headphone). I have a crazy expensive amp, mid grade amp and phone/DAP players so I speak from experience in this. Again, the 60i is very good but I think the added air and precise, deep bass of the 400 is a big improvement.

May 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #17,275 of 22,116
I listen to a lot of Japanese stuff, a lot of recordings have been say rather bright and some a bit annoying with the he-400 being bit sibilant. Eq helps though.

Personally for me the dragonfly dac v1.0 works great with the he-400 and can drive them quite loud. A good dac to me is more important then say an amp but each his own.

how about the amps...?

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #17,276 of 22,116
  I listen to a lot of Japanese stuff, a lot of recordings have been say rather bright and some a bit annoying with the he-400 being bit sibilant. Eq helps though.

Personally for me the dragonfly dac v1.0 works great with the he-400 and can drive them quite loud. A good dac to me is more important then say an amp but each his own.

that is great to hear... have you ever heard of
lumiere / dogs holidays of yawn / ebisu miho / sotte bosse

those are the kinds of songs im hoping to listen to with this new headphone. one question though.... when you use it, do you ever feel that it's heavy over long period of listening...? (2~4 hours). read the spec sheet just now and it said that the weight is around 440 grams....

i dont really know anything about DAC and Amp other than the general description of what they're for... i thought amp would be slightly nore priority since from googling i've read that some headphones need more current than others...

but im good with buying DAC only as well.... anything goes really as long as it's around ~$100~$150...

May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #17,277 of 22,116

that is great to hear... have you ever heard of
lumiere / dogs holidays of yawn / ebisu miho / sotte bosse

those are the kinds of songs im hoping to listen to with this new headphone. one question though.... when you use it, do you ever feel that it's heavy over long period of listening...? (2~4 hours). read the spec sheet just now and it said that the weight is around 440 grams....

i dont really know anything about DAC and Amp other than the general description of what they're for... i thought amp would be slightly nore priority since from googling i've read that some headphones need more current than others...

but im good with buying DAC only as well.... anything goes really as long as it's around ~$100~$150...

I haven't but could try and give a listen once I get back home today.

Comfort bothered me in the beginning with the he-400s but over time I got used to it and can wear them all day without issue. Friends that try them do immediately do mention their weight.

For me I value a dac as a priority over an amp, if you are going to get an amp and stick with the lousy on board sound of your computer then you will just be amplifying lousy sound. A dac/amp all in one is quite convenient and can fit in you budget so should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back