**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #17,297 of 22,116
I have the magni and the vali and the vali takes the cake, as another said in this forum I can gush enough about it, although it could have a little more power, I would recommend it over just about anything in that price range for the he400

May 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #17,303 of 22,116

DIY occ copper ground and hybrid peptide silver re cable
Plasti dipped modi and vali
Custom headphone stand
Loving this setup

Why did you go for a hybrid cable ? I had seen other users split their money between OCC/SPC in the DIY cables thread.

May 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #17,304 of 22,116
Finally bought a Fiio E12 from one of our lovely forum members who sold it at a wonderful price, even included a Bocur interconnect at no real extra charge.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the HE-400 sounds on my X3 with the extra juice, so far I'm liking the improved sound on the HD700 with classical music, going to switch to some Alt in a little bit after I finish off this piano concerto.  From what everyone says, the HE-400 just devours extra power in a most gracious manner, so I'm looking forward to how it'll sound.

May 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #17,305 of 22,116

Finally bought a Fiio E12 from one of our lovely forum members who sold it at a wonderful price, even included a Bocur interconnect at no real extra charge.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the HE-400 sounds on my X3 with the extra juice, so far I'm liking the improved sound on the HD700 with classical music, going to switch to some Alt in a little bit after I finish off this piano concerto.  From what everyone says, the HE-400 just devours extra power in a most gracious manner, so I'm looking forward to how it'll sound.

May 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #17,306 of 22,116
Rudeboybass, while I still maintain a HE-400 is enjoyable on something the power of a X3 or E17, man...  the bass just comes alive with an E12...  I'm not sure I want to go on walks with my dog using the X3 without the E12 now..  this of course being partially due to the fact that I really would prefer to listen to one of my two top end cans, sadly them both being open.  Perhaps I need to look into how difficult modding a T50RP would be.

May 21, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #17,307 of 22,116
  Perhaps I need to look into how difficult modding a T50RP would be.

Go for it 100%. T50s sound stellar once you mod them to your preferred sound signature. Modding them is easy.
I'd make them dual entry balanced for sure.

400's and T50's are a great complementary open/closed planar combo.

T50's are my main coffee shop can. I hear the T50s will also go well with the E12 ...(there is an E12 update coming with no crossover switch to reduce noise floor and maybe bass boost region moved lower to avoid bleed into lower mids)

May 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #17,308 of 22,116
My only concern is I don't trust myself to do a proper job. My ears aren't exactly discerning, my hands aren't particularly steady, and I have zero electrical experience.

On the other hand, they are just collecting dust.

May 22, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #17,309 of 22,116
My only concern is I don't trust myself to do a proper job. My ears aren't exactly discerning, my hands aren't particularly steady, and I have zero electrical experience.

On the other hand, they are just collecting dust.

Some places will reduce total price if you send your own pair in to get them modded. Pads seem to affect SQ a lot.

Balanced is a must though. Been A|B'ing planars on single end and balanced...bigger soundstage/more dynamic IMO.

400's also benefit from balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back