**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #17,253 of 22,116
It's not like removing grills off of loudspeakers. Your ears are inches away and that fabric is acoustically transparent. One thing I''ve never been able to use and that's ear buds and in-ear devices. I was on a commuter train and I counted 23 people mostly with iPods and those wonderful $5 ear buds that come stock. I put on a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's and people actually complained to the point the conductor told me to turn 'em down or off. HE-400's would give people a stroke they're so loud. I imagine any planar or electrostatic would do the same since basically they're dipoles that send sound in both directions equally. Magnaplanar and electrostatic speakers like Martin Logan's and Magnepan's have to have some serious acoustic treatment employed in their sound rooms. ASC Tube Traps and the like which ain't cheap. You can drop 5 large easily. That's why the vast majority of super high-end loudspeakers like Wilson and Rockport are dynamic. Us headphone users avoid that, but it's really almost impossible to re-create a live performance with headphones, but there are advantages. Like cost, space (you need a dedicated sound room. I had a friend who's wife insisted on placing a flower pot on his Phase Tech. speakers.) .

Hey has anybody heard the $12,000 Sennheiser Electrostatics that came out years ago. With the built in tube DAC?.

May 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #17,254 of 22,116
  My point is relevant, given that I was commenting about a very specific thing you mentioned..  You said you need at least 700mW to get your money's worth with the HE-400.  The X3 puts out 270mw at 32ohm, and the HE-400 is more demanding than that.  I know I enjoy the HE-400 given this combo, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one either.  My point was that I disagree with your assessment of needing 700mW minimum.

Xonar STX drives them well enough and is about 650mw into the HE400, even my sansa clip+ sounds alright with them, the HE400 were designed to be usable with low power.

May 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #17,255 of 22,116

Xonar STX drives them well enough and is about 650mw into the HE400, even my sansa clip+ sounds alright with them, the HE400 were designed to be usable with low power.

I  have to disagree:
my LG G2, or my Laptop also can drive the HE400 loud enough, the iBasso DX90 also can. But they don't drive these cans with enough authority. Loudness is not everything. Orthos love power, the more they get the better.

May 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #17,256 of 22,116
  I  have to disagree:
my LG G2, or my Laptop also can drive the HE400 loud enough, the iBasso DX90 also can. But they don't drive these cans with enough authority. Loudness is not everything. Orthos love power, the more they get the better.

He only said they were designed to be USABLE with low power, not that they were optimized for use without an amp. Any headphone should sound better with amplification, but it isn't always necessary. 

May 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #17,258 of 22,116
My xonar essence st is capable to drive my He 400 with authority but my other amp are doing a better job :beyersmile:

May 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #17,259 of 22,116
  I  have to disagree:

But LG g2 and laptop are not even as good as a sansa clip+ probably, the HE400 are designed for low power use, look on the hifiman website if you don't believe me, everything you said there are generalisations which do not really apply to the HE400.

May 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #17,260 of 22,116
My xonar essence st is capable to drive my He 400 with authority but my other amp are doing a better job
beyersmile.png

You are probably right but I doubt it is a massive difference with the HE400 like it would be with some headphones.

May 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #17,261 of 22,116
that's right, before getting a better amp for the Hifiman I was using the amplified ouput of the xonar, and the sound was good enough

In sound it's rare to get massive differences with an amp as long as it is able to handle the phones

May 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #17,263 of 22,116
The T50RP really needs amped to get their full potential. And Speaking of T50RP, I just got mine put back together this morning after being disassembled for a couple weeks for a makeover :D

Sorry, I love showing off my mods. Oh, and I can use my Hifiman cables with them now too! I guess I'll include that last bit to make it relevant to this thread. Haha

May 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #17,264 of 22,116
Anyone else find the soundstage to be noticeably smaller on velour pads? Maybe its because mids have a lot more body to them and overall sound is smoother and dare i say darker. Thats weird though, that i find pleather to have brighter sound with a larger soundstage right? I could almost swear that bass is much fuller too, i havent done any excessive A/B testing yet cause im still adjusting to the he-400s sound signature. These are brand new and seen around 20hours of music as of now. Do the highs tame during burn in? These are a bit too sibilant to my taste, less than dt990/250 though.

I may need better amp too, broke my o2 and running them out of udac3 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back