**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #17,221 of 22,116
Don't think amp is very important with HE400, even my sansa clip+ sounds decent with them. Probably because the HE400 (in my ppinion) sound mediocre with stock pads and no EQ, but excellent with with mods and EQ, I sound like a broken record so I will stop repeating myself.

May 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #17,223 of 22,116
Sure there acceptable and better than a lot of other cans out there without an amp but your not going to be taking advantage of what the he400 has to offer with out some power this can't be . I've owned 3 different Sansa clips and for 20$ there awesome, and they sound better than an iPod but that's like comparing two different turds

If your going to be using the he400 on a handheld device what's even the point of owning them!?
It's like having a Ferrari and puting 87 octane gas in it. It's going to run like crap
You need around 700mw to 1w at least to get your money's worth out of an ortho phone.

May 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #17,226 of 22,116
If your going to be using the he400 on a handheld device what's even the point of owning them!?
It's like having a Ferrari and puting 87 octane gas in it. It's going to run like crap
You need around 700mw to 1w at least to get your money's worth out of an ortho phone.

I disagree, this can sounds really quite good out of an X3.  Yes, it could sound better with better amping, but its not the waste of time you're implying either.

May 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #17,229 of 22,116

I disagree, this can sounds really quite good out of an X3.  Yes, it could sound better with better amping, but its not the waste of time you're implying either.

The x3 has 100x the power of consumer daps so what you said is irrelevant to my point,
A consumer MP3 player just is not going to take advantage of all the can has to offer. If your going to be using one as a source you should just get a more efficient pair of cans that is paired better with a low power device

May 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #17,231 of 22,116
The x3 has 100x the power of consumer daps so what you said is irrelevant to my point,
A consumer MP3 player just is not going to take advantage of all the can has to offer. If your going to be using one as a source you should just get a more efficient pair of cans that is paired better with a low power device

My point is relevant, given that I was commenting about a very specific thing you mentioned..  You said you need at least 700mW to get your money's worth with the HE-400.  The X3 puts out 270mw at 32ohm, and the HE-400 is more demanding than that.  I know I enjoy the HE-400 given this combo, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one either.  My point was that I disagree with your assessment of needing 700mW minimum.

May 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #17,233 of 22,116
  I have an additional comment, the cable connectors dont seem to be aligned properly, is this normal? 

Also, I hope i've connected the cables properly? Sorry I'm a complete noob..

Grab the cups and twist them till they align, mine were like that as well. At first I thought it was a manufacturing defect, but turns out the cups twist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back