**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #15,738 of 22,116
  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57616687-47/hifimans-advanced-headphone-tech-at-ces-2014-improves-sound-quality/

Great find!

I hate to say it, but the new headband looks ugly. Not that it really matters. And it looks like they still have those coaxial connectors. Oh well. I hope they add an HE-6 replacement so I can get an HE-6 on discount...

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #15,739 of 22,116

Great find!

I hate to say it, but the new headband looks ugly. Not that it really matters. And it looks like they still have those coaxial connectors. Oh well. I hope they add an HE-6 replacement so I can get an HE-6 on discount...

Ha, I agree on the aesthetics of the headband on the new model, really looks ugly. Looks like it could be a comfortable design though.

Just wanted to say I picked up the Schiit Magni and Modi for Christmas to use with my HE-400 and they sound excellent together. I upgraded from a Fiio E17 and the Magni and Modi are a more then worthy upgrade over the Fiio.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #15,740 of 22,116
  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57616687-47/hifimans-advanced-headphone-tech-at-ces-2014-improves-sound-quality/

Holy schiit! I'm totally loving the new design. It looks like Hifiman has improved on the shortcomings of their current lineup. Improved comfort (headband), and improved weight. 

That HE-400i is probably what was discussed on this thread a while back; an improved HE-400 with it's problem areas fixed, or at least I hope so.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #15,741 of 22,116

I hope that you have a private office or that your office mate shares the same interest in music as you. 
wink.gif

There will be no isolation.

Just me and my wife and will listen a low level.

I'm more concerned about paying $399. vs price drop and the new improved model. Maybe I should cancel and wait?

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #15,743 of 22,116
Frankly I'm not too pleased with the new HE look.  They recycled the same cup design, cable attachment and velour pads, then added a ****tier, diy looking stax suspension band and gimbals.  I'm sure they look better in person though.

If anything I was hoping for a oval opening wedge shaped leather pad like audeze and higher stax.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #15,744 of 22,116

Holy schiit! I'm totally loving the new design. It looks like Hifiman has improved on the shortcomings of their current lineup. Improved comfort (headband), and improved weight. 

That HE-400i is probably what was discussed on this thread a while back; an improved HE-400 with it's problem areas fixed, or at least I hope so.

The current headband is fine imo. The cups are not great though since they are massive and is impossible to get a proper seal with the stock pads (pleather or velour) unless you have a very large head. Also don't like that they are keeping the coaxial connectors.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #15,745 of 22,116
  Frankly I'm not too pleased with the new HE look.  They recycled the same cup design, cable attachment and velour pads, then added a ****tier, diy looking stax suspension band and gimbals.  I'm sure they look better in person though.

If anything I was hoping for a oval opening wedge shaped leather pad like audeze and higher stax.

It just means earpad modders will continue to thrive 
rolleyes.gif

Who knows, a few months ~ a year down the line, someone might actually produce some sick Hifiman-specific earpads with elements of the jergpad mod.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #15,746 of 22,116

The current headband is fine imo. The cups are not great though since they are massive and is impossible to get a proper seal with the stock pads (pleather or velour) unless you have a very large head. Also don't like that they are keeping the coaxial connectors.

Massive cups mean massive drivers which is a good thing imo. And I doubt the lack of seal actually affects the sound very much, it's not a closed can. Coaxial connectors though aren't great... hopefully they change those out before release.

I'm happy they're going for the same look though, it's the Hifiman 'design' which im very fond of.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #15,747 of 22,116
So my findings are that angled drivers come off as a more natural coherent sound to your ears where flat drivers sound more like a speaker next to your ear.  Totally makes sense now.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #15,748 of 22,116
Great find Raven. Should be an interesting 2014 for HFM. Looking forward to impressions. 

Guttenberg refers to them as sounding more like electrostatics. This could get very interesting. I was holding out for the new Oppo but I would jump on the 400i instead if it's in the ballpark with the lower end stax. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #15,749 of 22,116
Well, I've spent a good 7 months of fair listening with my HE-400, but was never really happy with them. I just wanted something more neutral and detailed. The natural step was to move up to the HE-500, but that all changed this week when I demoed something else and now I'm hellbent on acquiring them. If anyone is interested, that means the HE-400 is for sale and looking for a good owner who will appreciate them more than I have. I feel like I will still try out the HE-500, though. I mean I definitely wont pass up the opportunity to try them if/when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back