**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #15,768 of 22,116
lmao we're on top of things!  thinking i should have done a pair of the red or blue striped basketball socks for that added "vintage" look.
maybe some batman socks

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #15,769 of 22,116
I actually like this. I'll have to do some direct comparisons before I can really say, but it seems like it loosened up the bass a bit, attenuated the highs, and generally relaxed the sound. Less fatiguing. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #15,770 of 22,116
  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57616687-47/hifimans-advanced-headphone-tech-at-ces-2014-improves-sound-quality/

I knew this day would come. The headband looks a lot more obnoxious and uber-thin. Not sure that is a real improvement. Same lousy terminals that scare me and get my cord twisted up. Prices are also up quite a lot (for me anyway). I'll eagerly be awaiting the reviews, but I might skip this generation!

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #15,771 of 22,116
i have a conspiracy theory going with the new 560.  Think about the most popular duo in headphoneilia.  the epic hd-650/hd-600.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #15,772 of 22,116
manbear there's enough cushion there where you can push on the front of the pads and angle them. 
I was mentally dissecting a pair of the velour pads and had an idea.  I cut slits about 1 inch apart going from the bottom up to the top, half way around the pad to allow the inner diameter to be stretched.  Now there's plenty of movement of the pad to stuff polyfill in between the pad and the ring on one side to angle the pads.  also the slits expose the filling that would potentially act as dampening material.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #15,773 of 22,116
will have to take pictures once my phone charges
fudge that virus is messing with my computer.  gonna have to do a fresh OS

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #15,774 of 22,116

I knew this day would come. The headband looks a lot more obnoxious and uber-thin. Not sure that is a real improvement. Same lousy terminals that scare me and get my cord twisted up. Prices are also up quite a lot (for me anyway). I'll eagerly be awaiting the reviews, but I might skip this generation!

Doesn't sound like you like these at all.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #15,775 of 22,116

i suppose i could have only cut to the beginning of the the velour but i wanted to be able to stretch to the extreme.  i am not worried about these pads at all

just used cotton balls. stretched them out a bit and then rolled them to a more dense state but not too tight.

cambered stance
now to do it to the other one and listen up

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #15,777 of 22,116
  also @money4me247 that equalify download didn't give me the manual download option and it downloaded some search donkey crap that is a malicious adware. i scanned with avg before opening it and it said it was safe.  I didn't recognize the publisher when it asked for permission so i declined but it's still there and won't go away after uninstalling it and resetting my browser defaults

I have no idea what or where you downloaded that from, but I got it without any problems. 

http://www.equalify.me/?page=download

here is my dropbox version (I didn't get any viruses from it): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3td5jf5t072dtbk/EqualifySetup.msi

ps: hey btw, you know you can edit your old posts if you wanna add smtg, so you don't end up blasting the thread w/ a lot of new posts :)

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #15,778 of 22,116
^^ So what was it that you demoed that has you so excited?

HD 700. I'm not ready to talk about impressions or comparisons yet because I want a little more listening time under my belt, but I will say it really only took two days of intensive listening to a demo unit to decide these may be end-game material for me. Just purchased my own pair. More thoughts to come for sure.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #15,780 of 22,116
well so far in regards to angling of the pads, they act like the denons in balancing out the imaging :) although the denons feel smoother in dynamics
i didn't realize how meaty the sound was with the denon pads but in regards to Raven's complaint about the pads causing darkness
these definitely do the opposite and is definitely inviting if you're expanding your music taste to different genres other than electronic although they still seam to do it fine too.
can't really do to much of a comparison though as i have a very sharp ear pain in my right ear so i'm having to listen at low levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back