**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #15,781 of 22,116
these still seam to shout at my eardrum SOMETIMES *EDIT( my ear is super sensitive to this right now but it really is not noticeable )but not nearly as much as the other pads.  the denons  still reign supreme in this transition though.  Super smooth.  however possibly adding padding all the way around to pull the driver away more and then more on one side for angling the pads might help.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #15,782 of 22,116
Very interesting, Docta. I removed some of that lip that goes around the mounting rings on my velours, so I don't think I can use your method. I'm hesitant to cut up the pads just yet, so I'm probably going to try putting some kind of extra foam between the pleather and the velour to get the angle. That might be too much distance from the drivers though.... hmm.... we'll see I guess. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #15,784 of 22,116
ahhh, that stinks. that does seem like a lot of space but as long as it doesn't cause any resonance then your volume control will take care of the distance thing.
also on the second earpad i pinched right at the seam and took a good firm stroke with a sharp knife straight down to the cloth cover.  never had to cut up to the velour.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #15,786 of 22,116
  @money4me247 i know i can edit.  but anyone who's keeping tabs on my walkthrough with this experiment might miss that i edited a previous post

hahaha i know that in the age of smartphones & constant internet connection, people like realtime updates & all that, but the sheer amount of your posts are kinda burying all other discussion about the HE400. perhaps a new thread about your HE400 pad experimentation would be a good idea if you want to be throwing out minute-by-minute updates? :) hahah

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #15,787 of 22,116
blah, not much going on here anyways. your scrutiny is welcome though.  also, don't plan on expanding past this thread or past the last post i made for that matter unless someone else tries it out and shares similar feelings( i have a feeling they will) but if not then i'd rather keep my idiocy to a small group of people lol.  However this really is a totally different headphone right now.  blown away.  i don't even need to play loud.i feel like i have a little theater in my head 

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #15,788 of 22,116
  blah, not much going on here anyways. your scrutiny is welcome though.  also, don't plan on expanding past this thread or past the last post i made for that matter unless someone else tries it out and shares similar feelings( i have a feeling they will) but if not then i'd rather keep my idiocy to a small group of people lol.  However this really is a totally different headphone right now.  blown away.  i don't even need to play loud.i feel like i have a little theater in my head 

hahaah i didn't mean any offense by my comment. I just noticed that your ear pad discussion has been ongoing through the last five or six other discussions, so i thought it would be better to have a dedicated thread to discuss as that would be easier to follow.

mmm... regarding earpad mods in general, I have tried a few personally & i never felt that they made that big of a difference in sound quality. maybe sometimes a subtle difference in sound signature, but never any night-n-day difference. of course, i feel that way with a lot of other things that audiophiles like to talk about (like cables or whatever) so ymmv as always.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #15,789 of 22,116
  well so far in regards to angling of the pads, they act like the denons in balancing out the imaging :) although the denons feel smoother in dynamics
i didn't realize how meaty the sound was with the denon pads but in regards to Raven's complaint about the pads causing darkness
these definitely do the opposite and is definitely inviting if you're expanding your music taste to different genres other than electronic although they still seam to do it fine too.
can't really do to much of a comparison though as i have a very sharp ear pain in my right ear so i'm having to listen at low levels

Shoot....maybe I'll have those D2000 pads FS soon if that's the case. I'll still try them but the HE4 is bright enough as is, no need to make them brighter.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #15,790 of 22,116
I noticed that the plastic under the black connectors was beginning to fray, exposing the wires underneath on one side. I emailed Head-Direct with my concerns and they promptly offered to send me out a replacement cable. That's a great relief and prompt, generous service from them. Kudos to Head-Direct.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #15,791 of 22,116
HD 700. I'm not ready to talk about impressions or comparisons yet because I want a little more listening time under my belt, but I will say it really only took two days of intensive listening to a demo unit to decide these may be end-game material for me. Just purchased my own pair. More thoughts to come for sure.

Ahhh, you're an upper mids kind of guy. Makes sense why you wouldn't like the HE-400.

Welcome back, by the way
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #15,793 of 22,116
^+1

Though, those HE-400i's are a little funky lookin'

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #15,795 of 22,116
Anyone feeling the need to sell their current HE-400s and buy one of the new models? I just bought these cans but now I feel I should have waited for the HE-400i...Maybe this is how people felt when Sennheiser upgraded the HD650 drivers. I guess only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back