**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #12,497 of 22,116
Well I guess I'll be finishing my negative review then, thanks for the encouragement.
wink.gif
Just some forewarning: it's really negative. Although that could be subject to change later if I think it reads as too negative....

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #12,498 of 22,116
  Well I guess I'll be finishing my negative review then, thanks for the encouragement.
wink.gif
Just some forewarning: it's really negative. Although that could be subject to change later if I think it reads as too negative....

Really negative as in "how is this scam being sold for $400 even Beats are better" negative? Or that it is not up to snuff for your standards, disregarding the price?

Because you may or may not know this but, people get HE400s for the sake of a good compromise, in getting really exceptional bass (for the price), open and detail-oriented sound, without breaking the bank too badly.

Everyone knows about the shortfalls of HE400 already (tizzy treble, dark upper mids, grey somewhat uneven background) or at least I hope so, and I'm interested to see if you will grill these cans further than that.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #12,499 of 22,116
wink.gif

I was kind in favor of the review until I read this. What do you mean "really" negative?

Obviously most people on headfi like the HE-400's, some have issues with specific aspects of the signature (treble for example). Well respected headfi'ers throw praise at it (see: Battle of the flagships). 

I'm not sure what could possibly warrant an extreme opinion in the opposite direction short of having a pair that don't work as intended.

Short of having issue with certain aspects of the sound or design, I can't possibly imagine how someone could find these headphones "really" bad.

Anyone who would describe the HE-400 in a really negative manner I'd have to disagree with intensely. These headphones are easily the best in their respective price range in my opinion. To be honest, I cannot even see how it is open for debate 
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #12,500 of 22,116
wink.gif

+1 for reading a negative review. I'm not crazy about my HE-400s, and since getting them I've given others a listen to mixed responses... I did a lot of research here on Head-Fi and I personally think they're overrated and there are too many overly positive reviews (and the detractors are not highlighted enough), so an overly negative review might help with the balance somewhat. I wish that I'd done some auditioning rather than relying on reviews, mostly from here (live and learn...).

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #12,501 of 22,116

+1 for reading a negative review. I'm not crazy about my HE-400s, and since getting them I've given others a listen to mixed responses... I did a lot of research here on Head-Fi and I personally think they're overrated and there are too many overly positive reviews (and the detractors are not highlighted enough), so an overly negative review might help with the balance somewhat. I wish that I'd done some auditioning rather than relying on reviews, mostly from here (live and learn...).

Yes, but are the neg reviews without Jermods and EQ...? What are we talking about, 400's straight out the box ? Then I thing most of the 400 lovers would agree that they need some geekery done to them to release the beast.

I think the Jergmods and some EQ consensus added to post #1 would save the same questions being asked over and over with these cans.Though the EQ debate is always good for a flare up of "89 posts since yesterday" in subscribed threads
blink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #12,502 of 22,116
so I've had these for 5 days now.

TODAY i really got into them.
Just listened for music for 2-3 hours.

music is so much fun again, I was missing that for the last couple of months.

really didn't have the funds to get these but bit anyways. glad i did.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #12,503 of 22,116
So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself. :p

I would love to see your review. While I love the HE-400, it is DEFINITELY a polarizing headphone, which quite a bit of people won't like. Just like the DT990. There are strengths and weaknesses to each and every headphone I have heard. The HE-400 is no different. It does a lot well, but the treble is certainly problematic and somewhat fatiguing, and the upper mids are quite muted in comparison. That would be my biggest complaint. The bass, lower mids, dimensionality, and energy is a strength on the HE-400, only made better by the velour pad swap, which is the easiest upgrade.

Of course, if you're just gonna blast the headphone like it's utterly worthless, then it will just start sounding like someone bitching about a headphone just to bitch about it because you didn't like it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #12,505 of 22,116
I'd say something warm and smooth like the NFB-15.32. Plenty of power, a slightly smooth upper range....

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #12,506 of 22,116
  Yes, but are the neg reviews without Jermods and EQ...? What are we talking about, 400's straight out the box ? Then I thing most of the 400 lovers would agree that they need some geekery done to them to release the beast.

I think the Jergmods and some EQ consensus added to post #1 would save the same questions being asked over and over with these cans.Though the EQ debate is always good for a flare up of "89 posts since yesterday" in subscribed threads
blink.gif

Which neg reviews? If the headphones need modification to meet their exceptional ratings then I think that should be highlighted more. I think post #1 is pretty outstanding in its content (and brevity), with mention of jergpad mod already there, but some specifics/links on EQ'ing may be helpful too.

Also, regarding my post... I 'wanted' the HE-400s to be good. I was excited about buying new headphones and was keen to find the 'perfect pair', so there was a bias in my mind also which would have affected what I was reading... However, it still feels that the negatives were drowned out enough to diminish their significance (for me, anyway). My main gripes are the lack of comfort, poorly done cables and (foremost) the harsh treble.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #12,507 of 22,116
I think before you write a negative review, you should add the Jergmods and EQ the headphones. Stock pads and no EQ the HE400 sound quite bad to me as well, with EQ and Jergmods they are a lot better. I agree the treble is too harsh but what is wrong with the cable?... Looks like a good quality cable to me....

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #12,508 of 22,116
  I think before you write a negative review, you should add the Jergmods and EQ the headphones. Stock pads and no EQ the HE400 sound quite bad to me as well, with EQ and Jergmods they are a lot better. I agree the treble is too harsh but what is wrong with the cable?... Looks like a good quality cable to me....

I hadn't planned on writing a negative review. I've done Jergmod Pt I & II and played around with EQ a bit - but not enough to reach a solid conclusion (which is why I wouldn't be writing a review yet, myself). My cable broke - really easily - and I don't think this is too uncommon. Had it replaced under warranty but still had to pay postage, which was annoying.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #12,510 of 22,116
"Originally Posted by gab840 

What are the best Amplifier suitable for HE-400 in 150-300$ range ????"

The he400 does not need as expensive amp which is part of it's allure. It does have the ability to "scale up" pretty well as do most planar's. It can sound good all the way down to the fiio e17. The audio gd products are also good. I personally like the A2 in your price range. 

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back