**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #12,481 of 22,116
Quote:
Ya, its all aesthetics, for me, and I have a sheet of black limba here at home, so diy, no cost at all. Except for my ever precious time...

It would be lovely if the silver rings like the HE-5 could be produced so they could hold the mesh grills in place - just like the picture shows.  Then again, that part would be a bit over the top to produce without the necessary tools and material.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #12,482 of 22,116
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #12,483 of 22,116
Ya I've seen the mca ones. I meant more of a diy one. Martin is crazy pro, im an amateur. But I'm decent with ny hands, just lack the tools

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,484 of 22,116
Ya I've seen the mca ones. I meant more of a diy one. Martin is crazy pro, im an amateur. But I'm decent with ny hands, just lack the tools

You will likely need at least a lathe, even a simple one should do but it may take some time...just be patient and do the detail work with a dremel and finishing with sandpaper.  Trust me, I've thought about it haha... I just lack the lathe at this point.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #12,485 of 22,116
i did my grado cups with hole saws and setup my drill press as a mock lathe, lots and lots of patience, but got it done, im very used to lathe work, my father was a very very good woodworker, i used to own a lathe, but it died on me. BUT, ill be buying a lathe hopefully in the next month, but i can get some of the work done prior with what i have now. I just dont think the black limba is strong enough. Anyhow, i dont want to get anyones hopes up here, i just really have been wanting to do this since before these hps ever even graced my head. Ill take pictures of everything, that way if it works out, maybe i can help some people accomplish the same. But, it will be a few months of piddling. Looking forward to hopefully getting the new jergpads by modular also!

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #12,486 of 22,116
So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself.
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #12,487 of 22,116
  So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself.
tongue.gif

Just as everything else, opinions gain value with rarity.

No point in writing another review just like the others, saying the same things with different words. Just tell us what you think. It will be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #12,489 of 22,116
tongue.gif

The entire point of a review is to get the objective view of a respected member. I think it's important for you to post the review. Reviews become worthless if they are all glowing reports without a contrasting opinion. Of course, a few products are deserving of only praise but only a few. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #12,490 of 22,116
I do definitely think the HE-400 has fairly bug flaws, and my personal review would be partially positive, partially negative.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #12,491 of 22,116
I do definitely think the HE-400 has fairly bug flaws, and my personal review would be partially positive, partially negative.

Mine would be mostly positive but as someone said above, opinions gain value with rarity.
Write your negative review really carefully (as in descriptive as why) and people like me will use them to make expensive decisions!

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #12,492 of 22,116
tongue.gif

Feel free to post your honest feedback. You have my blessing. 
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #12,493 of 22,116
I think you'll find the HE-400 to be like almost every other headphone that's commonly talked about on head-fi.  People either love them or hate them based on coloration alone-- since headphones all vastly different on coloration.  The only thing that gets me with the HE-400 are the people who don't like it having too much treble, which is a very simple EQ fix.  I can see if they don't like both the mids and treble, as fixing that calls for a more invasive EQ, but treble alone is super easy.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #12,494 of 22,116
tongue.gif

Knock yourself out :D Its always great to see all sides to a situation especially with such a satisfying variety filled hobby we all share.

Saving up currently for the HE-400 with a possible purchase this or next month so it will be very interesting to read your views on it.

Thanks for asking and hoping to read your review Asr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back