**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #12,452 of 22,116
Here is my latest experiment in extreme HE-400 EQ....

Even when EQ this amount the bass on these headphones is still tighter than pretty much any dynamic headphone I have heard and also the treble tizz is pretty much non-existant.... They sound sort of like HD650 but with faster sound and much better bass....

Most headphones sound horrible if you EQ this amount but for some reason the HE-400 refuse to distort or sound bad even with a 16db difference between the highest and lowest parts haha....

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #12,454 of 22,116
Quote:
Seems that nobody is interested in my EQ experiments then :frowning2:

We are.  But, it's just the curve ... or lack of a curve that has us all concerned.  When did you last have your hearing checked?  At the time, did they test you to determine which frequencies you could or couldn't hear?  
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #12,455 of 22,116
Quote:

We are.  But, it's just the curve ... or lack of a curve that has us all concerned.  When did you last have your hearing checked?  At the time, did they test you to determine which frequencies you could or couldn't hear?  
biggrin.gif

What do you mean by lack of a curve? Do you mean that the treble should be a smooth curve with 1db steps? I am not an expert in EQ or anything as you can probably see but I mess about with it a lot... I do not usually EQ as much as in that picture but the HE-400 seem to need it / respond well to EQ.

I am pretty sensitive to high frequencies and sibilance also I like bass on electronic music etc. so that is why I have quite a dip at the treble and big bass.... The treble dip is equivalent (opposite) to the spike in the treble on the frequency response graph...

That EQ is for electronic music... So if you listen to rock etc. mainly it will probably sound bad... With Electronic music however it sounds good to me...

If you can tell me how to make it better then I am interested :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #12,456 of 22,116
Quote:
Seems that nobody is interested in my EQ experiments then :frowning2:

I'm interested because I like to mess around with EQ every now and then, but it seems a little overboard. That config paired with already bassy EDM music would transform the HE-400 into nothing but a bass canon. It's fun to try it out and see how much the HE-400 can handle (and it can handle a lot), but I wouldn't settle on that though.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #12,457 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm interested because I like to mess around with EQ every now and then, but it seems a little overboard. That config paired with already bassy EDM music would transform the HE-400 into nothing but a bass canon. It's fun to try it out and see how much the HE-400 can handle (and it can handle a lot), but I wouldn't settle on that though.

Yes that EQ was more of an experiment, I was using it yesterday... Thats why it was titled "an experiment in extreme HE-400 EQ" lol. I do find that the HE-400 need a boost in the bass and a pretty significant dip in the treble or they hurt my ears.

What am I supposed to do to make this better?

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12,458 of 22,116
Quote:

What am I supposed to do to make this better?

Hmm well it's down to you and what you're after. If any less treble EQ hurts your ears then you might as well leave the treble as is. As for bass personally I don't touch it at all. It sounds perfect and well balanced to me stock so I leave it, but I may consider a little bump in the sub bass region.

I've posted this before but since we're on the topic, this is what my setup looks like currently

Top image is Foobar for music, bottom is EqualizerAPO (universal EQ) for youtube and gaming. For me the HE-400 is perfect across the entire spectrum apart from the treble, so that's the only area i change.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #12,460 of 22,116
Quote:
How do you get that EQ as a plugin for foobar?

The dip in the treble looks similar except mine looks like it is more because of the shape of the image? Is yours about 6db as well?

Nah mine is about 4.5db at it's lowest point. I don't want to totally remove the treble sparkle, I just want it less jarring. 

To get that EQ you'll first need a VST Wrapper, I recommend George Yohng's one. Secondly the free edition of the EQ plugin itself. Setting them up can be a little confusing, pm me if you need help with that.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #12,463 of 22,116
just arrived today, woke up at 8:30 AM on 5 hours sleep just to make sure i didn't have to wait till Tuesday (it's from usps and i picked it up)

first impressions were "hard to hear the hype" but i realized i was exhausted and went to bed and woke up. starting to enjoy these now.

I'm using velour pads,

but also like to mention these are much heavier than I expected, but I'm getting used to them after 3 hours now.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #12,464 of 22,116
Quote:
just arrived today, woke up at 8:30 AM on 5 hours sleep just to make sure i didn't have to wait till Tuesday (it's from usps and i picked it up)

first impressions were "hard to hear the hype" but i realized i was exhausted and went to bed and woke up. starting to enjoy these now.

I'm using velour pads,

but also like to mention these are much heavier than I expected, but I'm getting used to them after 3 hours now.

I didn't like them at first either but they get better the more you use them.... Also use EQ and "jergmod" the pads...

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #12,465 of 22,116
Quote:

What do you mean by lack of a curve? Do you mean that the treble should be a smooth curve with 1db steps? I am not an expert in EQ or anything as you can probably see but I mess about with it a lot... I do not usually EQ as much as in that picture but the HE-400 seem to need it / respond well to EQ.

I am pretty sensitive to high frequencies and sibilance also I like bass on electronic music etc. so that is why I have quite a dip at the treble and big bass.... The treble dip is equivalent (opposite) to the spike in the treble on the frequency response graph...

With my post, I was implying that your EQ adjustments were pretty severe.  I can understand being sensitive to certain frequencies, but I've never seen someone EQ a product as much as your image indicated.  If you read through many of the posts by Jerg, TMRaven, etc., you'll understand more about EQ adjustments.  Wide sweeps can sometimes be more damaging that good.  For example, boosting certain frequencies can also cause distortion and the chance for your amp to start clipping.  If that happens, one can suffer damage to their headphones or speakers.  Also, with such major adjustments, it indicates to me that something else might be going on.  Are your recordings of high quality that you listen to?  Which amp?  Also, I wasn't kidding when I asked if you've had a hearing test.  I was serious.

There are some frequencies where I have issues with.  It's not the sensitivity of my ears, but the music I listen to.  If it's female vocals, the HE-400 and other headphones can really present an "SsssSsssSssss" with the vocals.  It can be EQd out to a degree, but there are times when it can't be totally eliminated.  Some is the fault of the headphone, while other times it could be the recording or just the issue of how to handle female vocals in general.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back