**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #12,436 of 22,116
Quote:
I did all the steps to it except for the velour top mod part because I only have one set of velours (which I really like) and don't have access to another set if I had messed something up cutting them. 

I liked the jerg mod even thought the difference in sound was slight for me, they made the sound a little bit more airy which I kind of liked.

I found the comfort didn't work for me though. Taking the foam rings out of the pleather pads makes them super pliable and takes away pretty much any support or cushion. When I put on the headphones with the jerg mod my ears are basically pressed against the drivers and for me that doesn't work. Like I mentioned in the jerg mod thread, this is without the velour top mod which I'm sure would help with comfort. Based on the experience I had though I don't find that it would really be worth cutting up my velours to do it, the difference wasn't really substantial and I like the sound quality with the stock velours. 

As for the pleather vs velour, I prefer the velour for sound quality as well as comfort. I found the velours a bit stiff out of the box, but after a couple of weeks they feel much softer. To my ears the sound has a bit more impact and sounds a bit warmer, the pleather sounds brighter. I really don't like pleather or leather pads, they get warmer much quicker and I tend to sweat in them, not the case with the velours. I'm usually listening for long sessions so comfort is very important to me.  

Thanks again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #12,437 of 22,116
I did all the steps to it except for the velour top mod part because I only have one set of velours (which I really like) and don't have access to another set if I had messed something up cutting them. 

I liked the jerg mod even thought the difference in sound was slight for me, they made the sound a little bit more airy which I kind of liked.

I found the comfort didn't work for me though. Taking the foam rings out of the pleather pads makes them super pliable and takes away pretty much any support or cushion. When I put on the headphones with the jerg mod my ears are basically pressed against the drivers and for me that doesn't work. Like I mentioned in the jerg mod thread, this is without the velour top mod which I'm sure would help with comfort. Based on the experience I had though I don't find that it would really be worth cutting up my velours to do it, the difference wasn't really substantial and I like the sound quality with the stock velours. 

As for the pleather vs velour, I prefer the velour for sound quality as well as comfort. I found the velours a bit stiff out of the box, but after a couple of weeks they feel much softer. To my ears the sound has a bit more impact and sounds a bit warmer, the pleather sounds brighter. I really don't like pleather or leather pads, they get warmer much quicker and I tend to sweat in them, not the case with the velours. I'm usually listening for long sessions so comfort is very important to me.  

I also didnt like the feel of the pleathers without the foam so I cut holes out of the foam. Why don't you try that? My problem now is that I also took the mesh off of the grills so combined with the jerg mod the sound is a little too airy now.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #12,438 of 22,116
I also didnt like the feel of the pleathers without the foam so I cut holes out of the foam. Why don't you try that? My problem now is that I also took the mesh off of the grills so combined with the jerg mod the sound is a little too airy now.

Definitely an option. Unfortunately I don't really like the pleathers in general, they get sweaty much easier then velours and I like the feel of the velour a good bit more.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #12,439 of 22,116
Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12,443 of 22,116
I just wasn't sure that dropping your pre-amp would fix the clipping issues caused by boosting specific frequencies. For example, dropping all frequencies except sub bass by 4dB vs. boosting sub bass by 4dB and dropping your pre-amp by 4dB. They have the exact same effect?

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #12,446 of 22,116
Quote:
Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

Why would you feel guilty? Everyone enjoys something different, and the point is to enjoy the music. There is no pre determined acoustic rule to how you should enjoy it.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #12,447 of 22,116
Quote:

I sure hope you meant 1000Hz...

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #12,448 of 22,116
Quote:

Sure some bass EQ could work great, I would recommend that you make a compromise though, and make the bass elevation ~3 dB at the highest (around 100-150 Hz), and in the form of a gentle hump, could roll it off toward midrange much faster than 1000 Hz, I'd say let it peter out by 500 Hz is more than enough. At the very low end, you could bump up a separate slope toward 20Hz by 3dB or so to really push out the bass extension.

Or just go crazy, and swap between the crazy bass EQ and no EQ for different music. I like to make a compromising EQ (like what I outlined above) that can be used to spice up the music without needing to revert to no EQ for reference though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #12,450 of 22,116
Quote:

I would not increase any volume after about 650hz because the headphones already have a bump from about 700-1400hz so if you are increasing any of this it will likely make them sound worse / glare. Bump up the bass from 500hz down because the HE400 sound better with boosted bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back