**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #6,556 of 22,116
Quote:
I've just bought the HE-400, my first entry into mid-fi level audio and really like it for my tastes, but am eager to find a second headphone for contrast and as an alternative, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Looking for an open headphone with good mids, for jazz and classical mostly, but also m/f vocals--considering the HD 650 and SRH 1840s.  Any thoughts, recommendations?

I find the HE-400's to be perfect for Jazz. Actually i think it's the genre it does best.

I have no problem listening to classical with it either.

Not the best hp's for vocals though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #6,558 of 22,116
Quote:
... for jazz and classical mostly, ... Any thoughts, recommendations?

For the same purpose I purchased a used AKG K501 ... very engaging mids and overall refined sound for classical.

From what I remember from hd650, it would be a very good compliment too.

I really can't listen to classical music with my he-400 ...by far too colored for my tastes to listen to classical. it seems he-400 varnish the music. Funny and engaging with some jazz /soul/blues but awful to my ears for classical stuff .

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #6,559 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks Okamoto, I agree about the jazz, everything sparkles--so what would you or do you pair with the HE-400?

As of now i'm using it paired with an E10/E11, but i already bought an E17+E09 and am waiting for it to arrive.

Everyone say it pairs well with the HE-400's, but In case i don't like it, i'm thinking about getting a tube amp(i want to smooth the treble a little). I have my eyes on a Schiit Lyr.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #6,561 of 22,116
Quote:
As of now i'm using it paired with an E10/E11, but i already bought an E17+E09 and am waiting for it to arrive.

Everyone say it pairs well with the HE-400's, but In case i don't like it, i'm thinking about getting a tube amp(i want to smooth the treble a little). I have my eyes on a Schiit Lyr.

Take a look to Aune T1 :wink: .. cheap and in my opinion a very good and cheap way to discover tube sound before spending lots of money in more expensive gear ( if needed ! )

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #6,562 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Sorrodje, I'll try those soon--any others in the AKG line as well?  I am looking for the best with classical, since this is a big part of my listening--

Maybe you should take a look to this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHAD900 or that : http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT660

but if your prefered genre is classical stuff, maybe he-400 is not for you as your primary headphone ?  If I were you I would really consider to sell the he-400 and upgrade to the he-500 instead of looking for a compliment.
rolleyes.gif

I didn't seriously listened to  K/Q/701/2 to have any opinion
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #6,563 of 22,116
Quote:

Take a look to Aune T1 :wink: .. cheap and in my opinion a very good and cheap way to discover tube sound before spending lots of money in more expensive gear ( if needed ! )

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was considering a cheaper option too, like the Little Dot MKIII, but it doesn't seem to favor low impedance cans.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #6,564 of 22,116
Quote:

The SR-Lambda I already have, of course. It still remains my overall favorite out of anything I've tried, in both sound presentation AND comfort.

But the HE-400 did come closer than expected, even moreso than the SR-202 of all things. I think it's a nice complementary headphone, especially taking into account its overall frequency response.

Couldn't agree with this more, Lambda AND 400, while different, presentation is stellar

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #6,565 of 22,116
I know this isn't the right place, but i'll ask anyways: Does anyone know if i need another DAC to pair with the Lyr, or is the E17 okay?

Can i connect it straight to my soundcard aswell(Xonar DG), or will it sound... "Schitty"?

I'm asking because i don't want to spend another $450 on a DAC(Bifrost)

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #6,566 of 22,116
Quote:
I just now got to this, this is indeed extremely awesome.

Funny thing, I've had "Floex" written down on a notepad on my desk for the past week because I've been meaning to download an album by him(Zorya), Ochre recommended it and I liked it judging by the preview.. I search Floex on bandcamp and this game's soundtrack pops up. Floex is Tomáš Dvořák, same dude who made this games soundtrack 
size]

I want to buy this game just because of the soundtrack...

Didn't know that. You learn something new everyday I guess. You won't be disappointed in the game, I enjoyed it so much (along with the music) that I bought it on both my PC and Android phone.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #6,567 of 22,116
Quote:
I know this isn't the right place, but i'll ask anyways: Does anyone know if i need another DAC to pair with the Lyr, or is the E17 okay?

Can i connect it straight to my soundcard aswell(Xonar DG), or will it sound... "Schitty"?

Yeah you can use the E17 as a standalone dac. But you'll need to purchase the Fiio L7 which bypasses the E17's amp

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #6,569 of 22,116
Quote:

It will probably work fine. However when I had the e17 paired with the e9, I didn't like it at all. Very congested sound, the e7 was much with the e9.

That said, the lyr is not the e9...
Befor you spend so much money on the bifrost, try looking into audinst dacs. Great value!

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #6,570 of 22,116
Quote:
He looked like a blend of Jim Morrison and James Hetfield lol

Great video by the way. Great music too.

Actually, a few years back, I was attending a local audio event held at a person's house.  It was there where a guy told me about Roy Orbison's concert video titled "Black and White."  The clip provided is from that concert video.  I purchased the concert on DVD after hearing the recommendation from the guy.  I've enjoyed watching the whole video on my 2.1 music system for the best effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back