**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #6,541 of 22,116
Then yeah, maybe $150? But again, I wouldn't be the first to get one as I'd have to see/read that they don't alter the sound negatively. The sound reflecting off the top layer of velour may hamper SQ. That's why it'd have to be like the Orpheus pads where the velour is only on the top area that rests on the skin, and not where sound is reflecting of the pads.

Seriously, a D7000 with a velour top = everything I could ever want.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #6,542 of 22,116
Quote:

Gave it a listen, it's good if you're into old school 8-bit video game music. Quite catchy. If you're looking for a more 'modern' video game soundtrack I highly recommend the Machinarium OST. It plays absolutely brilliant on the HE-400, awesome instrument separation, plenty of air, plenty of detail. A great showcase album for the HE-400's strengths. My fav track from the album:

Youtube in 720p sounds ok, but flac is the way to go here.

I just now got to this, this is indeed extremely awesome.

Funny thing, I've had "Floex" written down on a notepad on my desk for the past week because I've been meaning to download an album by him(Zorya), Ochre recommended it and I liked it judging by the preview.. I search Floex on bandcamp and this game's soundtrack pops up. Floex is Tomáš Dvořák, same dude who made this games soundtrack 
size]

I want to buy this game just because of the soundtrack...

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #6,543 of 22,116
Quote:
Then yeah, maybe $150? But again, I wouldn't be the first to get one as I'd have to see/read that they don't alter the sound negatively. The sound reflecting off the top layer of velour may hamper SQ. That's why it'd have to be like the Orpheus pads where the velour is only on the top area that rests on the skin, and not where sound is reflecting of the pads.

Seriously, a D7000 with a velour top = everything I could ever want.

OK, from what I gather.  You'd like the velour layer to sit on top of the leather, which faces the head side.  The leather could be separated at the seams and the ear side piece removed so that it could act as a pattern for the cuts.  Then, adhere the velour to the leather, so that it can be set back into place and stitched up.  Correct?

Hmm ... interesting concept.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6,544 of 22,116
Yeah. I think Nameless has a layer of velour on his Stax Lambda's pads. This is very much like what I'd want done for anything that uses pleather/leather stock.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #6,546 of 22,116
I think that this picture of the Sennheiser Orpheus has some pretty good detail on the pads.

Edit: You've given me an idea.  I received a new pair of pads for my HD-555 from Sennheiser today.  I have the old rings, which the foam and velour are nearly falling off of.  I might be able to take the old rings and make some Orpheus-style cushions.  I'd have the first ever HD-Orphea555.  LoL.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #6,547 of 22,116
I think that inner lining of velour wouldn't be good for say the D7000 though. I didn't get to see just how much velour the pads had until you posted that image. Sound wouldn't definitely reflect off it differently than all pleather/leather.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #6,548 of 22,116
Wayne,

I'll be the guinea pig. Please do the mod on a pair of J$ for me and I'll pay you the $150 (for starters). If you feel you are owed more, just let me know and I'll pay the difference.

Koth

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6,549 of 22,116
Oh yeah, for me personally, I'd want the velour placed on top of the existing leather (instead of velour completely replacing the top leather lining), as I think it will help it retain the leather seal, as opposed to the porous nature of velour allowing sound to seep through...

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #6,550 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah. I think Nameless has a layer of velour on his Stax Lambda's pads. This is very much like what I'd want done for anything that uses pleather/leather stock.

Here's a pic to indicate exactly what he means. (For the record, it was the idea of the guy who sold that Lambda to me. And, no, I didn't intend for it to be upside-down; Dropbox just chose to present it that way.)

It's a very soft kind of cloth, even moreso than most varieties of velour, like on the HE-400 and AD700. I'll throw in the original cloth whenever MLE gets the chance to review that Lambda.

Anyway, overall impressions of the HE-400:

-It's not as heavy as some people make it out to be. My old Sansui SS-20 is far worse in that regard.
-Overall, it's surprisingly comfortable, enough to wear for hours. Not vintage Lambda comfortable, but I'd probably still rank it above the SR-202, a modern Lambda descendant with higher clamping force. (It's a bit tougher to call with the SR-303 because of the softer pads.)
-Bass and treble notes are a bit emphasized, but I don't feel like the vocals completely suffer for it. Quite the contrary, actually; vocal-oriented music is quite listenable on the HE-400, although I still think the SR-Lambda still reigns supreme in that field.
-Something about the overall sound presentation is reminding me of the SR-202 + SRM-212 setup I had, just with slightly smaller soundstage and slightly more tactile bass. It's been a while since I had that, though...
-The bass presentation certainly gives games a nice cinematic theater experience, if they've got rumbly subwoofer notes.
-Positional audio works as well as I expected. MLE recommends it as a gaming headphone for good reason.
-It sounds decent even directly fed by my X-Fi Go! SB1100, hopefully meaning it's not too picky about amplification. (Meanwhile, I need a big receiver on my desk just to feed my Stax transformer box...)

I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of these as a secondary headphone.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #6,552 of 22,116
Quote:
Nameless, if you were selecting the HE-400s as a secondary headphone, which would be your primary?

The SR-Lambda I already have, of course. It still remains my overall favorite out of anything I've tried, in both sound presentation AND comfort.

But the HE-400 did come closer than expected, even moreso than the SR-202 of all things. I think it's a nice complementary headphone, especially taking into account its overall frequency response.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #6,553 of 22,116
I've just bought the HE-400, my first entry into mid-fi level audio and really like it for my tastes, but am eager to find a second headphone for contrast and as an alternative, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Looking for an open headphone with good mids, for jazz and classical mostly, but also m/f vocals--considering the HD 650 and SRH 1840s.  Any thoughts, recommendations?

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #6,554 of 22,116
HD650 or K702 Anniversary are both quite stellar for vocals. The HD650 is more intimate and laid back, pleasant, while the Anniversary is a little more energeticand open. Both are warm and much more bearable in the treble than the HE400.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #6,555 of 22,116
Quote:

Recorded in 1987.  A "young" Tom Waits can be seen playing keyboard in this video along with ... dum, dum, dum ... "Roy Orbison performs "Oh, Pretty Woman" as the finale of the Black & White Night Concert. Backed by Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, James Burton, Glen D. Hardin, Tom Waits,KD Lang, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, JD Souther, T Bone Burnett, Steven Soles, and Jennifer Warnes. Recorded September 30, 1987."

This --->  

He looked like a blend of Jim Morrison and James Hetfield lol

Great video by the way. Great music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back